Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • Peaks Descents: cave dale or the beast
  • didmatt
    Free Member

Only done Cavedale the once (back in icey/snow cover Jan) and its more difficult then the beast. Whilst they are both fun and techy; descending down the beast you can just hold on and let the bike take you. Unlike cavedale that requires abit more thought to it.

I do like the look of Parkin Clough too!

walleater

The main issue with Park In Muff is the exposure on the right hand side. One bad move and you're rolling down a steep bank into a stream. I pussied out of a couple of steep rooty bits for this reason!

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Cavedale is harder than the beast- you have to focus a lot more but I've found the speed that lets you get away with murder down there now and can clean it every time- it seems to have got easier lately, like a lot of it's washed away til the gulley when it gets rockier than ever.

My one of choice at the minute that I find a real challenge is off Rushup Edge, it takes a huge amount of thought simply because of the speed combined with the size of rocks. It's not more technical than Cavedale, but I'd say moreso than the Beast. And longer.

This one, but past the gate where it gets silly-

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Kit
    Free Member

I want to go back to the Peaks 🙁

Jacob's Ladder

Cavedale

The Beast

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gingerfox/tags/peakdistrict/

Blower
    Free Member

Spokescycles isnt that Chapel Gate??

Chapel Gate is harder than The Beast especially after the gate on the right imo,and one of the hardest in the peaks apart from Parkin Clough..

grahamt1980

Chapel gate gets stupid after the gate, walked down there a while ago and the rain gullies and drops in it now look fun, by the looks of it loads of people were going down the mud at the side

Blower
    Free Member

yeah seems bit more torn up after the gate at the moment,but still rideable.

hora
    Free Member

by the looks of it loads of people were going down the mud at the side

Thats cares me ALOT more. That and ruts in grass etc. Guaranteed you will be high-sided off your bike or over the bars with a nasty collarbone. Think about it- you glance upto another ride for a SECOND and its allover the place with your bike like a wagging dog. **** that!

Far better to stick with the rocks and drop offs IMO.

peachos
    Free Member

Parkin Clough looks crazy. I'm going to have to ride that soon.

Thing is with these descents, and why the Peaks is so good for biking, is that they're all a bit different. Rode Cavedale on Saturday for only the second time and it's a great descent right from the open grassy section at the top. The rocky sections are fun but only half of the story; the place is like a natural freeride park with loads of hips, bombholes and drops up the valley sides. I was even eyeing up, somewhat over-enthusiastically, some big drops off the cliffs when it opens up underneath the castle.

The beast is fun because it's so fast. Once you have done it a few times there's plenty of options to take more challenging lines, hit the drops etc. And there's a couple of good corners to rally it around. Just have to watch out for the showstoppers!

Chapelgate is probably the hardest out of these three IMO. A couple of sections where there's only really 1 line and if you're not on it you better hope you've brought your magic tyres or you're done for.

What about the PBW along Roych Clough? There's some pretty tough lines along there if you hit all of the drop offs.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Chapel gate- cool. I never really know the names of absolutely all of them, despite living just over the hill.

My favourite Peaks ride is up Pindale, down Cavedale, up Mamtor Broken road, along Rushup Edge, down Chapel Gate, up Jagger's and down the Beast, back up the valley side and down the Roman Road. A day guaranteed to leave you knackered.

hora
    Free Member

My favourite Peaks ride is up Pindale, down Cavedale, up Mamtor Broken road, along Rushup Edge, down Chapel Gate, up Jagger's and down the Beast, back up the valley side and down the Roman Road. A day guaranteed to leave you knackered.

Pook. Thats it but instead of starting at Pindale start in Edale- climb up to Mam Tor then over to Cavedale for the start of the ride? Then after the Beast could either climb up past the farm for the descent down from Fairhomles, up past Beast then up and over (where we saw the angry farmer/sheep on the quad) back to Edale? Right, I might have a reccy this weekend.

Pook

i'll have a think, with a lot of road it's doable. Or with a rest halfway through the day!

Toboggan has to be the last run for sheer brilliance. So Edale is the start and finish.
    So, Edale, Hollins, Mam tor, Rushup, Chapel, road to rushup, pennine bridleway, up to jacobs. road to Toboggan, drop to Edale.

Not too graceful but it makes the links as suggested…

thepodge
    Free Member

Anyone got an uplift service?

crazy-legs
    hora
    Free Member

Different one!

crazy-legs

WHERE?!

mjb

Nobody has mentioned Doctor's Gate yet. Hardest legal trail in the Peak in my opinion.

hora
    Free Member

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?rlz=1C1DVCB_enGB337&q=mam%20tor&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wl

Click on B then street view- ignore the trail straight up- it follows the line of the road from the bus stop for a while.

I don't think I've ridden Doctors Gate before? From memory half of the Doc Gate ride is tarmac?

crazy-legs

Oh that one? Mam Tor 1st descent. The Chute.

Doctors Gate isn't worth it IMHO, it's only about 80% rideable at most and to get to the start point at the summit invloves a LOT of tarmac, all uphill. It's OK if it's been dry for a long time and it's pretty remote, not many walkers on it as a general rule.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

I'm not a DG fan either. Just not that good.

Pook

the chute? damn, i thought i'd christened my very own descent 🙁

grahamt1980

I love that descent off mam tor. Pick your line through the ruts and hope they end well. Its great fun although very muddy when its damp

walleater

Mam Tor Broken road is pretty hard if you take the pro-lines 😆

http://willwaters.fotopic.net/p22825275.html

hora
    Free Member

Wow. Thats pretty much a flat landing as well. I take my hat off to you Sir!

Blower
    Free Member

Anyway what about the one off Derwent edge bringing you down the back of the pub,kinda steep few hairpins thats a good un…

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Peaks Descents: cave dale or the beast’ is closed to new replies.