Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Peaks conditions
  • underthesun
    Free Member

Can anyone tell me what the conditions are like up over the Peak right now?? Thinking doing Hope Cross, Rushup, Roych, Jacobs. Cheers Peeps.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

wet and rocky

same as it always is

didn't bother with rushup at the weekend as it may be a right mess at the moment. Roman road/hagg side/ouzeldon were all good though.

I fact, the Roman road down to Rowlee was the best i've ridden it in years

ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

Bit above Fairholmes just after the outdoor centre has an intersting muddy section which i rode though sideways with my back wheel spinning 🙂

tracknicko
    Free Member

last night we had EPIC rain.

dry (in the sky) today mind…

br
    Free Member

Also looking at The Peaks this weekend, and taking onboard comments about Rushup and also the Roman Road – a loop around Ladybower would be fun.

A question: while I can see the bridleway from the Redmires Road over Stanedge to Bole Hill, how is the route to Stanedge from A52 across Moscar Moor? On the map its shown as a footpath…, but it would make a good link – is it 'rideable'?

Also from above Hagg Farm (A57 just past end Ladybower), once on the col which is the best route down – Derwent, Ladybower or all the way to Crookhill Farm (ladybower/A57 bridge)?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

head north down to ouzeldon clough

great descent

this is assuming you have already done the hagg farm descent

Pieface

Stanedge to Moscar Moor is a footpath and will be incredibly peaty due to epic rain last night and lost of today.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

we did a great ladybower loop at the weekend, 17 miles of fun (miles aren't a great way of quantifying the peaks, we tend to count 'passes')

ate a lot of pairs of brake pads though

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I couldn't possibly comment on the greatness of that trail across Moscar Moor, but it's a) very peaty and after the rain will be pretty easy to cut up and b) it's a footpath you'll be trying to ride at the weekend when its full of walkers.

Leave it until a) its dry, b) its not the weekend. 😉

Derwent aka Lockerbrook (the one that heads north from Hagg farm) is the best descent. Crook Hill is just open grass; the one that turns off down to ladybower halfway along the crook hill descent was a shitfest due to logging last time I tryed it. (Over axle deep). That may have changed though.

Pieface

And please avoid Whinstone Lee Tor. If you do go up it please ride through the mud rather than widen the trail even further.

james
    Free Member

Or better still, ride into/over all the rocks (the ones in the middle) of the Whinstone Lee Tor Descent (to cutthroat bridge) ..

br
    Free Member

thanks for the 'route' recs, loop's looking good now

question – is the cafe in Hope open on a Sunday (the one near 18 Bikes), or I guess the question really is, "is any cafe in Hope open on a Sunday?"

Blower
    Free Member

yeah caf is open.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Peaks conditions’ is closed to new replies.