Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Peaks Conditions?
  • vdubber67
    Free Member

Boring, regular thread title I know, but I don’t like to plan routes that involve to much trail destrution if it’s been wet.

Thinking about Derwent Edge / Whinstone Lee tor down to the pub bit especially…

Thanks

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

bound to be wet but then that’s what makes it fun. Takes 2-3 weeks of no rain for the descent to cut throat bridge to dry out and the single track below Derwent edge never dries fully

steveh

Weather has been pretty good here in shef last week although it has rained some last night. Trails were in great condition on Tuesday when I last rode in the peaks.

That’s as up to date as I can be though sorry. Forecast is pretty good so I reckon the trails should be good to go at the weekend.

Pook

It will be a bog. Been raining on and off for the past couple of days and that section was wet anyway

vdubber67
    Free Member

Thanks folks. Will steer the ride a bit more westwards…

AndyPaice
    Free Member

” mrmichaelwright – Member

bound to be wet but then that’s what makes it fun. Takes 2-3 weeks of no rain for the descent to cut throat bridge to dry out and the single track below Derwent edge never dries fully “

” Pook – Member

It will be a bog. Been raining on and off for the past couple of days and that section was wet anyway “

It was dry last weekend from WLT to the pub and the traverse to the top of the DH to the waters edge was quite ridable, with only the usual small puddles, and it was very ridable. It rained a little in Sheff last night so it should be ridable unless it rains heavily today/fri or sat.

Richie_B

unless it rains heavily today/fri or sat

Looks out of window and wonders if AndyPaice is some sort of rain god?

OK I’m a bit further south in the Peak

porterclough
    Free Member

Hope Cross / Blackley Clough on Sunday was a quagmire, never seen it so wet.

AndyPaice
    Free Member

I did Hope X (win hill to hope x) and down Blackleys on Sunday and the DH on Blackleys Clough was dry as a bone! The puddles on Hope Cross Byway never fully dry out but it was pretty dry compared to normal.

AndyPaice
    Free Member

” Richie_B – Member

unless it rains heavily today/fri or sat

Looks out of window and wonders if AndyPaice is some sort of rain god?

OK I’m a bit further south in the Peak “

It’s misty but dry in west Sheffield at the moment. Could be totally different out in the Hope Valley tho.

Pook

hahaha – this is a right old battle. From my window it looks grey and miserable.

My last ride up there was a wet one – but i shall defer to others greater knowledge!

with love from Nether Edge

😉

AndyPaice
    Free Member

we may just have different ideas of wet and dry 😉 If i don’t have to spend a half hour washing the bike after a ride then it’s ‘dry’

porterclough
    Free Member

If i don’t have to spend a half hour washing the bike after a ride then it’s ‘dry’

I did, so it was wet 😉

Richie_B

Andy
    I take it back Matlock is now officially dry(ish)

AndyPaice
    Free Member

Richie, any good riding round there? I only ever do dark peak stuff. Did a guidebook loop around darley dale once and there was some interesting stuff.

antigee

as the greyness that was never sun today sets it has now been raining steady for an hour or so here out on the north east side of sheffield

quite interested in the ? above as well never ventured off road further south than Stoney

TinMan
    Free Member

Votes for Richie_B to organise an STW South Peaks ride 😉

el_bandido
    Free Member

How’s cutgate looking at the moment?

Realised yesterday that I haven’t ridden it since 2007! Need to remedy this within the next couple of weeks.

Cronnie
    Free Member

Not been there recently but as with Derwent it needs heat, wind and dry weather to get it into tip top condition. I’d leave it until we get a bit more of a heatwave – unless you like ruining all your componetry in one ride.

Richie_B

Votes for Richie_B to organise an STW South Peaks ride

Richie_B runs off and takes cover behind 5 week old baby and soon to be 200 mile commute to work

AndyPaice
    Free Member

” el_bandido – Member

How’s cutgate looking at the moment?”

Not bad two weeks ago, was dry and dusty over the top. They have done some work on shorts sections of the top path after the rocky river bed and it’s almost like a trail centre in places now with swoopy hardpack singletrack edged with large rocks. Was quite fun to ride.

still a shame about the hardpack motorway section down to langsett though

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Peaks Conditions?’ is closed to new replies.