• This topic has 39 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by br.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Peaks climbing
  • tacopowell
    Free Member

Comparing a loop around Nant Yr Arian to a loop around Jacobs Ladder on Strava,
    Its clear there’s a fair amount of climbing to be had in the Peaks,
    Will be a long overdue first visit this weekend,
    Am I going to die?

BadlyWiredDog

Hypothermia probably. Or drowning. So basically, yep.

Garry_Lager

Death could be arranged – depends on your route 🙂

The Hayfield – Edale Jacobs ladder circuit is a good example of a rel short ride (think it’s about 15 miles) that packs a fair wallop.

Find part of the challenge is that most of the popular bw climbs are all quite makeable (Jacobs ladder being a famous exception) – so you find yourself grinding up loads of them on a long ride and you’re wrung out by the end.

BadlyWiredDog

Which is the best way round the Jacob’s / Roych loop? 😉

Onzadog
    Free Member

Up from Hayfield, down Jacob’s.

Although it used to be better the other way around. Having said that, I’ve not ridden it since they did the last bit of work on roych.

tacopowell
    Free Member

Hypothermia probably. Or drowning. So basically, yep.

Puddles cant be any worse than the Ponds littering Sherwood Pines!
    Is it worth riding at this time of the year?

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’d say so. Done it in th snow and sleet a few times. Come up chapel gate though and miss out rushop edge. Not fun and not clever to try and ride that at the moment.

jeffm
    Free Member

Climb per mile isn’t too bad in the peak. I average around. 2000m in a 65-70km ride. That’s usually taking in a fair amount of hills.
    More climb per km in north Wales in my experience.

mattrgee
    Free Member

Although it used to be better the other way around. Having said that, I’ve not ridden it since they did the last bit of work on roych

A fine job they have done to be fair. Should be used as the benchmark for all future work if you ask me.

Generally speaking, Hollins Cross and Rushup have all been pretty muddy over the last few weeks, can’t imagine they’ve improved. The drier option of going up Chapel Gate is quite boggy at the top assuming you don’t die of boredom getting up there. 😈

Superficial
    Free Member

I’ve done peaks rides which are 1000m of climbing in 15km. So yeah, you can ride a lot of height if you’re trying. That was a ride which essentially included no flat bits at all 😆

andeh

Rode the Chapel gate/Roych/Jacob’s loop last weekend. Not bad nick, a few puddles but mostly OK. Just some muddy pools around the gates here and there, and it had uber-pissed it down the night before. It’s a good all-weather route.

It’s a good thing you like climbing if you’re planning on going up Coldwell Clough 😯

EDIT: Actually, thinking about it, crossing the top from Chapel Gate was a bit like navigating the Dead Marshes. Remember, they’re not as deep as they look (I think).

Spin
    Free Member

Am I going to die?

Yes. There is a crowd of pedants coming to stab you right now for calling it The Peaks when it is The Peak.

james
    Free Member

“Jacobs ladder being a famous exception”
    Its suprising just quite how much of it IS rideable though, just keep getting back on and trying to get through it. Similar to the upper sections of Coldwell clough it’ll try damn hard to make you dab.
    Really its only the really steep steppy part near the top of Jacobs that its properly properly difficult imo. The rest will go with a chunk of manic pedalling and a load of luck to panic-steer yourself through the rubble

Also nearly at the very top theres a double step up out of the gully bit that I’ve always get the weighting wrong and my rear tyre spins out on.

Mbnut
    Free Member

Looking to do the up Chapel Gate/Royce Clough/Edale Cross and down Jacobs loop on Friday leaving from the Edale car park.

I have done it once before and was alittle under the weather but really struggled with the climbs… humbled me a bit to be honest…

I quite happily throw all my man points in a field at the bottom of Chapel and walk up. If someone told me I had to ride up Jacobs, or become a girl, just call me Dorothy!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I must be one of the few not to have tried riding up Jacobs ladder, it’s so much fun in the other direction 🙂

Garry_Lager

I’d like to ride Jacobs more, put a wee dent in it, but just can’t be arsed with that first section. It’s not super steep, but you’re riding through loads of large, loose rocks – dab city. Seems like even an expert would need some luck to clean it. After that it reverts to a completely ball-busting climb but at least the surface is ok.
    The big left hand corner just before the footpath comes in on the right also seems super hard, for those with designs on clearing the whole thing.

Pete-B
    Free Member

Ridden Jacobs both ways many times but going down is a hoot while trying to climb it just frustrating.
    Re The Peak compared to Nant y Arian: trail centres are great but climbs are designed to be ridden by all but the most lethargic – the Peak trails were designed to be ridden by pack animal so present a different challenge. F’rinstance Nants Legburner is just a long road climb, Jacobs & many other rocky climbs are technical. The climb out of Coldwell is a biatch as is the approach to Jacobs.
    If you’ve never ridden the Peak you really must!

tacopowell
    Free Member

Peak trails were designed to be ridden by pack animal so present a different challenge.

Don’t mind a new challenge.

Jacobs & many other rocky climbs are technical.

With 1×9 this is what worries me.

andeh

I was going to ask, do the people who ride these climbs have a granny ring?

I feel I have ZERO chance of riding up Jacob’s with my 9 gears.

richpips
    Free Member

I was going to ask, do the people who ride these climbs have a granny ring?

There are few people even with a low enough gear that’ll ride up Jacob’s.

mrmo
    Free Member

jacobs isn’t hard as in needing a granny gear, that might make it even worse, it is hard because it is lots of loose rocks that move around under you for the first bit.

The second bit is easy, then the final bit with lots of rock slabs is just unpleasant and not a lot of traction.

Superficial
    Free Member

jacobs isn’t hard as in needing a granny gear, that might make it even worse, it is hard because it is lots of loose rocks that move around under you for the first bit.

Yeah exactly. The first bit is easier if you (can) go a bit faster – granny ring won’t help here. The only bit where it would be useful would be to chill out on the flat-ish bit before the last push for the top. In fact I don’t think 1×10 is especially limiting on technical climbs in the UK – a bit of extra speed is always helpful and you won’t get up the harder stuff by trundling along in granny gears.

Is anyone going to claim it – riding up Jacob’s? Often talked about but I don’t know anyone who has actually done it. It’s one of my riding ambitions for sure. But whether I will ever get there I don’t know…

richpips
    Free Member

Is anyone going to claim it – riding up Jacob’s? Often talked about but I don’t know anyone who has actually done it. It’s one of my riding ambitions for sure. But whether I will ever get there I don’t know…

I did a photshoot once with a rider who rode it all in bits. He’d previously done it all with no dibs though.

This fella. 😉

Superficial
    Free Member

Pfft, riding it in bits doesn’t count. Tell him to GTFO whoever he is 😉

Pete-B
    Free Member

I did a photshoot once with a rider who rode it all in bits. He’d previously done it all with no dibs though.

This fella.
    Nick Craig. I read an article in Another Magazine about him clearing Jacobs.
    Saw him riding there last year – least I think it was him, not many people riding there on drops 🙂

tacopowell
    Free Member

Just thought I’d report back after my first couple of experiences in the Peaks,

It’s tough, The climbing that is, I like a nice welsh fire road climb, sitting back and just pedal!
    The Peaks demands more from you, I find one of my issues is struggling to get back on pedalling on the more technical climbs, using my 1×9 32t X 11t-32t it feels like I’m putting too much power to gain stability,
    often the front wheel is jumping up,
    From what others here have said I’d be better swaping my cassette for a 12t-36t rather than dropping my 32t chainring for a 30t?

Anyways, The humbling climbs aside, the descents are awesome,
    OK it’s no purpose built trail centre trail, its not smooth, it’s often testing but thats what I like about it,
    It makes you ask questions about your riding, it puts you in the corner and asks you to fight,

After only two visits I’ve come to the conclusion that if you can handle the Peaks, you’ll be able to handle most things in this country but then again, I’ve not been all over.

I like the Peaks, I’ll be heading back for my third encounter tomorrow.

Also can anyone let me know of this gnarly descent coming back down to Hayfield?
    We came down round Mount Famine, headed through the double gates but just ended up on a pretty boring track/road, There was a footpath to the right?
    Is this the one? of course been a footpath,I’d never ride it!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

There is only one of them! It’s the Peak District, ok so there is the white and the dark peak but it’s still the peak District.

Anyway the riding is awesome there.

antigee

Anyways the ridings is awesomes theres

wastes of times correcting thats theres peaks things. 🙁

tacopowell
    Free Member

There is only one of them! It’s the Peak District, ok so there is the white and the dark peak but it’s still the peak District.

I’m new to the Peak District, you’ll forgive me!

tacopowell
    Free Member

Thanks guys.

BadlyWiredDog

Also can anyone let me know of this gnarly descent coming back down to Hayfield?
    We came down round Mount Famine, headed through the double gates but just ended up on a pretty boring track/road, There was a footpath to the right?
    Is this the one? of course been a footpath,I’d never ride it!

It depends what you mean, but if it’s the right turn at a crossroads, here – then it’s a bridleway and heads down Coldwell Clough, wide, rocky descent, holes and drainage bars. Then left up and down behind the campsite, aka ‘the campsite descent’.

tacopowell
    Free Member

It depends what you mean, but if it’s the right turn at a crossroads, here – then it’s a bridleway and heads down Coldwell Clough, wide, rocky descent, holes and drainage bars. Then left up and down behind the campsite, aka ‘the campsite descent’.

That’s the one!
    Is it as good as hear it is?

BadlyWiredDog

It’s a decent Peak descent, yes. And a legal one. There are some interesting new-ish erosion gullies on the lower bit of Coldwell Clough that you need to watch out for and the campsite descent is turning into quite an interesting trail nadgery then rocky at the top, fast an open, then back under the trees. But if you’re asking, is it worth doing, the answer’s yes 🙂

Watch out for wandering shaggy highland cattle though…

banks
    Free Member

Come across those cows a few times, a little bit of poo came out one night ride when one was stood right round the corner on the corner.

Pete-B
    Free Member

If you drop into Coldwell you can then climb out toward Kinder.
    You have two options on the climb: Either stay on the main track, keep on climbing & then descend Jacobs Ladder.
    If it doesn’t make you smile you’re dead.
    There again the smile could be the effect of rigor.

Or you can take a bridleway on the left (the sign’s been missing for some time, dunno if it’s replaced yet) which will take you to a descent to Kinder Ressie.
    At the ressie you can either take the road back to Hayfield or take another biatch climb to the shooting cabin on Middle Moor (On a clear day you can see this from Mt Famine). From there it’s downhill bridleway to Hayfield. This can be popular with walkers in fair weather.

Anyway, back to your original post: Yes, climbing in the Peak is different to trail centres. Their climbs are groomed to be possible by the average.
    Much as I enjoy trail centres give me the Peak any day. When I get back there after a few trail centre sessions it makes me realise how tame most are.
    (wanted to do Cut Gate today but figured it might still be messy and would be windy)

antigee

using my 1×9 32t X 11t-32t it feels like I’m putting too much power to gain stability,
    often the front wheel is jumping up,
    From what others here have said I’d be better swaping my cassette for a 12t-36t rather than dropping my 32t chainring for a 30t?

32 front to 32 rear is 25.9 inches

32 front to 36 rear is 23.1 inches

30 front to 32 rear is 24.4 inches

using http://www.bikecalc.com/gear_inches

so existing front with a 36 rear gives about 5% more something for the effort than swopping the front which isn’t a lot but if able to power thru then ok – suspect people doing technical “natural” ascents are running much smaller front rings

sure some people on here more expert and will come along soon

edit personally I run a trad triple and 22t granny with a 34t rear – so that can make me too slow on the more tech ascents
    too slow to blast thru or maybe it means I just keep going when I hit stuff ?

Pete-B
    Free Member

Yeah – I run a 22×36 on my 26 and have just fitted a Hope 40T to my 29er so with it also having a 22 front the ratio will be about the same.
    These are bail-out ratios but I’m old.
    Wouldn’t even consider those ratios for trail centres.

Mind you I’ve seen people pushing single ring jobbies in Cannock.
    I struggle with that one. If you’re fit enough to run a single ring for your choice of riding then great. If not take advantage of technology.
    People died to give us double clangers and triples.
    Why die of a heart attack in the pursuit of fashion? 😯

tacopowell
    Free Member

Why die of a heart attack in the pursuit of fashion?

It’s more a financial reason but I seem to be coping, I’ll switch to a 12-36 to help.

br
    Free Member

If you ain’t fit enough to ride a with 1×9, you need a granny ring.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Peaks climbing’ is closed to new replies.