Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Peaks
  • 1kcove
    Free Member

i have a 3 day trip to the Peaks never been before so not sure exactly what to expect, one thing i am sure about is there”s a lot of BIG Climbs, so this brings me to my question 29er Superlite as it’s not to bad on climbs & bombs down hill ok, but my Orange Five 26” is plusher down hill but a slog up hill. So what should i take ?
    Your views & advise would be appreciated.

opusone
    Free Member

i know it’s not quite the question you asked, but I’ve ridden most things in the peak and have never even felt the need for rear suspension, so I would go with the lighter weight climber.

A more direct answer would be that imho the best rides in the peaks are longish distance (30-40 mile) epics so (again) I’d go with the superlite.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

Although you can ride everything in the peaks on a HT (plenty do) its about what you enjoy doing.

You will of course be faster on the full sus, personally thats what I’d take. There isn’t BIG climbs, although depends on what you’re used too I guess, I live 20mins away from Peaks so Im used to it.

Im sure on either you’ll enjoy it.

For more gnarly riding do the dark peak area like Ladybower/Edale.

For more XC with a few gnarly bits do the white peaks, parts of Hope Valley and anything south of it.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

not sure where you are planning on going in the Peak, but the majority of the biggest hills are in the northern part of the region – Dark Peak. none of those are what i would consider massive climbs as the area just doesn’t have the elevation (highest hill is kinder at just over 2000ft). thats not to say they are easy, but they’re not big epics like in the lakes, north wales or scotland. im a overweight, unfit middle aged man who rides a 6inch travel bike round them and cope ok for your normal 15-20 milers.

personally i’d make the decision on what, how long and how you ride. for me, i’d take the plusher suspension as there’s some great relatively technical and rocky descents in dark peak and i like hooning down them

oh, and before someone else steps in, let me take the gold medal for pedantry – it’s the Peak singular, the name deriving from the people who used to live on the tops of the hills, not the peak of the hills themselves, therefore no plural. everydays a school day!

opusone
    Free Member

everydays a school day!

*”Everyday’s a school day!”

You don’t even get bronze for that.

vickypea
    Free Member

Larry Lamb- there are some big climbs. Jacob’s ladder for example.

1kcove- I regularly in the dark peak, and don’t have a full suss.

jekkyl

I’d take the hardtail if it were me.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I prefer the downs to the ups. For the last ten years I’ve been riding a 36lbs 6″ full suss bike up and down pretty much everything in the Peak and loving it.

mildbore

As others have said it depends what you like riding. I used to ride my Superlight in the Peaks (oops, pedant alert) but had to back off a bit on the rocky descents. Nowadays I hammer them on my trail full sus. Let us know your riding style and I’m sure you’ll get plenty of route suggestions

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

Vicky, its not that big of a climb, Jacobs, if your referring to riding up it then its ruddy technical and no hope in hell I could do it.

If it was rideable then it’s steep in places but not big.

opusone
    Free Member

Vicky, its not that big of a climb, Jacobs, if your referring to riding up it then its ruddy technical and no hope in hell I could do it.

You ride up the back and down the front, surely?

mintimperial

I’ve ridden all over the Dark Peak for 25 years or more, on and off. If we’re waving our wangs about then I can confidently state that you can ride it on a fully rigid 30lb 1992 Raleigh with plastic canti brakes and semi-slicks, should you want to, and still enjoy it. It’s even more actual fun with 6′ of travel front and rear on a proper bike, though… 😉

Anything in between will work, and you’ll still have a cracking day out. Either of those bikes will be fine. Ride what you brung, you won’t die. Have fun!

sofaboy73
    Free Member

Larry Lamb- there are some big climbs. Jacob’s ladder for example.

What on earth would possess you to ride UP Jacobs ladder, it’s one of the best descents in the peak and the pay of for riding up it is swines back as the down and it’s rubbish in comparison.

OP – as mentioned above, let us know what you like and the hive will supply some routes

hora
    Free Member

Orange Five all day long. There are some fantastic descents to be had. Why not enjoy them fully? Where are you ‘climbing’ too? 99.9% of the climbs are nowhere near Lakes standards.

vickypea
    Free Member

Now I’m really confused!! What is the definition of a “big climb”? If it’s not something that’s technical, steep in parts, and only a tiny minority are capable of climbing the whole thing.
    Btw it is possible. Mr Pea watched someone do it.

thepodge
    Free Member

Big climb is big
    Technical climb is technical

vickypea
    Free Member

I can’t edit my post ^ to say I mean it is possible to ride up Jacob’s Ladder, but every time I try to edit, I get dumped into an advert!
    ThePodge- are you just taking the pee? “Big is big” means nowt!

scandal42
    Free Member

So the question is ‘which of my two full suss bikes do I take’ and the answer is ‘take a hardtail’ 🙄

Regardless of what anyone says the Peak District has descents that are full suss or long travel worthy, you don’t have to ride these options but for people to say there is nothing in peaks to warrant it is really quite silly.

Both of those bikes will be fine

whitestone
    Free Member

The answer is: “take a bike”.

docrobster
    Free Member

Either bike will be fine. Which one would you prefer to ride for 3 days running?
    Dark peak climbs tend to be short steep and technical rather than “big”.
    Makes me wonder what you are comparing them to?

opusone
    Free Member

So the question is ‘which of my two full suss bikes do I take’ and the answer is ‘take a hardtail’

Yeah, sorry. My fault probably seeing as I mentioned hardtails first. 😯 I realise that both your bikes are full suss, I just meant that the general level of stuff in the peaks is all doable (and fun) on a HT, and as such dragging a downhill travel machine to the top of everything might not be worth it.

jairaj

I’m a soft southerner from Hertfordshire and at the moment a weekend warrior at the best so not in fantastic shape.

Been to the Peaks a few times and have done most of the popular / classic routes around the Dark Peak area. Some of the climbs can be pretty technical and some of them are long climbs but none are epic in length.

My weapon of choice is a Transition Bandit a 140mm full suss trail bike because some of the descents are technical and rocky. The geometry and travel allows me to push the boat out a little more and have a bit more fun. I can just about manage the long climbs in one but some of the technical ones will require a dab or two.

I’ve done the same routes on a 120mm hardtail and had lots of fun too but I was holding a little back compared to the full suss ie not fully launching of drops or not hopping over or doubling up trail features.

Just depends on your riding style and what routes you are planning to do but either bike will be fun.

1kcove
    Free Member

The answer is: “take a bike”

1kcove
    Free Member

Thanks for your replies, all the rides will start from Edale as this is were we will be staying.
    it looks like it will be the 29er FULL SUSSER.

satchm00
    Free Member

However you plan your Peak visit just make sure to stop off at Bakewell and get some proper Bakewell puddding 😀

MrSparkle

Bakewell puddding

That surely merits a D – (see what I did there?)

RickDraper
    Free Member

Whats a 26″?

vickypea
    Free Member

I can recommend the Penny Pot cafe in Edale

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Peaks’ is closed to new replies.