Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Peak Singletrack – Fast & Flowy ?
  • cnud
    Free Member

Advice required please. Had a great summer so far climbing and descending over babies heads in and around the Hope valley, Ladybower, Cut Gate, Mam Tor, Jacobs Ladder, Bradwell, etc but haven't really found any tracks to better the Whinstone Lee Tor to Cutthroat Bridge section for swoopy but relatively boulder free type fun(apart from the run down to North America but it's a bit short). Anybody recommend any intersting, fast singletrack?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

:watches with interest:

Pieface

Wharncliffe.

Some stuff around White Peak but not a great deal.

Cheeky Trails in Sheffield suburbs.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Man up, Rocks are best.

Pieface

The Peak doesn't really have it, but then Thetford doesn't have babies heads etc.

hora
    Free Member

Whinstone Lee Tor to Cutthroat Bridge section

Wheres this????

Agree about the Peaks in general- its rocktastic.

Best bit of singletrack IMO is the Surrey Hills. 8)

thepodge
    Free Member

hora – Whinstone Lee Tor to Cutthroat Bridge section. Wheres this????

its HERE

Pieface, you have been emailed

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Maybe i'm strange but i much prefer to climb UP from Cutthroat Bridge to the Tor then descend down the far side to the lake…

amodicumofgnar

Middle Moor from the shooting Cabins above Hayfield.

Winstone Lee Tor – West side of ladybower, Winstone Lee Tor – Cutthroat Bridge – Ladybower Inn.

cnud
    Free Member

Hey, don't get me wrong, you can't beat thrashing down a boulder fest and yep Wharncliffe is good but I just want a bit of that non trail center "au natural" sweet singletrack, there must be some in the Peak District surely.
    The Whinstone Lee Tor to Cutthroat Bridge is clockwise on the east side of the Ladybower loop after you've gone up the paving slabs and doffed your cap to the locals.

cnud
    Free Member

Thanks for the Middle Moor, not been to Hayfield yet

amodicumofgnar

Very short but try Roach End to Goldsitch Moss

sambob
    Free Member

Middle moor is amazing. There is also a short bit down past the campsite in Hayfield, but that is slightly rocky.

higgo
    Free Member

Very short but try Roach End to Goldsitch Moss

Or go the other way from Roach End down into Gradbach Wood and follow the Dane Valley Way out to Wincle.

More good stuff around the Goyt Valley or Rainow/Shrigley/LymePark if you're prepared to look a bit further than the Ladybower/Hope/Edale/Hayfield and have an explore.

(but Middle Moor is good, as is Chinley)

GavinB

If you like WLT – Cutthroat Bridge then would also recommend (if you're heading over Hayfield way), to combine Middle Moor (which is totally ace) with Chinley Churn from here to here (Phoside Farm descent in case anyone can't be bothered to click the links). Probably the best way to get there is by climbing up from New Allotments (bdwy to the SW).

Where else?

dot
    Free Member

Agree with Middle Moor, Chinley Churn and the Hayfield campsite descent.

Also from barking dogs farm to the mansion/hall short but good, but to be honest going straight past and bumping yourself down to the Little Mill Inn is better (not singletrack).

Another short section is from New Mills golf club to the Fox – taking the top path and not the BW proper (could be considered a little cheeky) and it spits you out back on the rocky bw which is still ace best of both worlds 🙂

ahwiles
    Free Member

cnud; if you're after bridleways, this thread will not yield a long list*.

if you're flexible with your interpretation of access laws, then there's enough peachy singletrack to fill a lifetime, almost all of it is only ever used by bikers.

(*there's some nice legal stuff around linaker (sp?) reservoir – nr chesterfield)

thefallguy
    Free Member

I like the drop into hayfield from coldwell clough is a lot of fun if a bit short, the drop into Sheffield from ringinglow is fun too not exactly single track but fast and flowy.

snowslave

Never heard it called the toboggan run before, but that bit of trail is ace

hora
    Free Member

Never heard it called the toboggan run before, but that bit of trail is ace

About halfway down there are two lines and I ALWAYS end up taking the wrong one and ending up in a grassy root/into a bank!

brakeswithface

There must be some suitable stuff in the white peak surely?

thepurist

I did the 5 Dales Circuit (from the Vertebrate White Peak book) the other week – IIRC the BW from Northwood through Copy Wood then on through Rowsley Wood was a bit more Surrey Hills than Dark Peak – it's countouring rather than DH though. And FWIW the climb up Back Lane nr Darley Bridge was a bu99er too…

BadlyWiredDog

Vast swathes of Cut Gate in the dry, from the Ladybower to Langett direction. Surface varies. Like Middle Moor on steroids. Speaking of which, but I can't… er, have a look round the corner from the shooting cabin some time, but not a weekend 🙂

cuckoo
    Free Member

hora
    Free Member

Funny really- done too much riding in the Peaks over the past 6months- recently I rode around Leith Hill/Ranmore etc in Surrey and I was struggling with the flow and kept on running out of trail and into braken or trees!

jimmy

Whinstone Lee Tor to Cutthroat Bridge section

You mean 'Moon Trail'

benman
    Free Member

A friend and I were laughing only last night about how 'its funny that everyone says theres no single track in the peak district'. Right after we had spent 2 hours riding exclusively singletrack in 4 different areas of white peak woodland. All of it cheeky mind.

There is more to the peak than Hope valley…

Pook

Woohoo! The toboggan run is some of the finest flowy singletrack in the peak. Whinstone Lee Tor is fantastic too whichever path you drop off.

Also, in the dry the run down to the Pennine Bridleway on Rushup Edge is great

cnud
    Free Member

Some good stuff there thanks folks, funnily enough last time out at Mam Tor I had a look down the start of the "Toboggan run" and wondered where it went, but then forgot all about it.
    Benman, I agree there's plenty of good riding in the White Peak, spent alot of last summer in and around Hollinsclough, Baslow, Bakewell and Cromford just fancied a change from the road bridleway, road bridleway combination. Not ventured up / down any cheeky trails though as I only get time to ride at the weekend.

benman
    Free Member

All the best stuff in the white peak is cheeky. Most of it is empty of people, even at the weekends. In the valleys leading all directions from matlock, there are trails in pretty much every piece of woodland. Go forth and explore ;o)

AndrewBF
    Free Member

thepodge – Member
    hora – Whinstone Lee Tor to Cutthroat Bridge section. Wheres this????
    its HERE

Ooo…. that's within striking distance of a ride from home… Lovely.

Quick check on MapMyRide… 24.5 miles and 1,600ft of climb from home. I think that should be a pre-Kielder training day later this month 🙂

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Peak Singletrack – Fast & Flowy ?’ is closed to new replies.