Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Peak District – whats the weather like for visiting and walking now?
  • Midnighthour
    Free Member

I Have an offer to visit a friend for walking in the peak district, visiting the villages etc. I can go up anytime in the next week.

It will mean driving in the peak district andI don't know the roads that well for ice etc. My friend has been away visiting over the holidays, so does not know much about the present weather conditions around Sheffield and the Peaks. The official weather forecasts all seem very inconsistent.

Are the conditions good or bad up there for walking the footpaths/ driving the roads in the next few days? Thanks for any reports.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Tick, anyone know if it's worth a ride around the Peaks on Sunday?

midlifecrashes

Ah, knew one of the outdoor shops had one.

Outside, Hathersage webcam, Millstone edge view.

Clicky

flowergirl
    Free Member

Tried to drive up there from Congleton a couple of days ago, so we could go out walking.

We got as far as Wildboarclough when we decided it was a REALLY stupid thing to be doing, especially as another car stopped and told us that the road to Buxton was closed.

You didn't need to gain much height before the main road had snow on and the side roads were just impassable. Very windy up there too, so lots of trees falling across the roads.

It's a lovely idea to go up there, but sometimes you just have to admit defeat!!

midlifecrashes

Yup, Cheshire side still closed in, Cat & Fiddle have a cam too.

Cat Cam

steveh

Sheffield is fine, no snow and ice on the roads and pavements in town now, a little higher up. I'm just off out to try cut gate for a ride.

Midnighthour
    Free Member

Is anything thawing at all, or is it just sitting there?

Thanks for the cam links, I love snow so its frustrating to see it there but to be aware it might not be the best place to be driving through!

crazy-legs

It's driveable at the moment, some parts need more care than others!
    White Peak is stunning at the moment, crystal clear blue sky, snow/ice/frost everywhere, it looked amazing this morning. None of it was melting cos it was -1 though! It's grey and lightly snowing here in New Mills at the moment, about 0ish degrees.

Peaks is a big place, whereabouts are you planning on going?

Onzadog
    Free Member

I'll go anywhere I can drive to safely and get a decent ride out of. Was wondering about Ladybower or Castleton.

porterclough
    Free Member

Sunny and cold in Sheffield today, snow mostly gone, roads fine but many footpaths are still covered in very slippy packed ice (half melted a few days ago then froze again).

A57 Snake Pass was closed yesterday, went over the M62 instead and everything was green below about 1000 ft, and very snowy above that.

Midnighthour
    Free Member

Area I am visiting is the Sheffield side, but had intended to go out on day trips to the national park areas. I was told before Christmas that Sheffield folks were having problems getting up and down the city roads due to the steepness of them and the packed snow/ice.

crazy-legs

Yeah, it was bad on both sides just before Christmas. It's kind of patchy now, there's parts that are still white and parts where it doesn't look like it's snowed at all. Weird.

Midnighthour
    Free Member

Found these additional web cam sites for Derbyshire, thanks to the above links

http://www.derbyphotos.co.uk/webcams/index.htm

Midnighthour
    Free Member

Thought I would bump this so people can find the web cam references for today/tomorrow.

MarkE25

Hi,
    I live in SW Shffield and its bucketing it down with snow now and has been for the last few hours-I suspect it will be worse up on the moors and the road out to Hathersage!

Midnighthour
    Free Member

Thanks for this update – I took another look at the webcams this morning and the roads seem to have vanished from them!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Peak District – whats the weather like for visiting and walking now?’ is closed to new replies.