Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Peak district tyre recommendations?
  • RickDraper
    Free Member

Looking for a pair of new tyres for my Cotic soul after becoming tired of the Nobby Nics. I live on the cheshire/peak district border and a regular ride can take in most terrain. What are people running around here?

qtip

High Roller LUSTs 2.35″

BadlyWiredDog

Minion DHF EXO 2.3 (f) Ardent 2.25 EXO ® both run tubeless. I actually run a 2.5 Minion up front mostly, but the 2.3 probably makes more sense on a Soul.

The guest Cotic runs an old 2.2 Bontrager XR4 up front and a Racing Ralph 2.25 at the back, fine on most stuff but the rear slips a little on real soft terrain and wet grass.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

2 mostly….

Used to be minion 2.35’s for everything till I moved away.

MartynS

I went from nobby nics to spesh purgatory 2.3 running tubeless

I really like them, and they are cheaper than lots of other tyres out there.
    I have maxxis advantage 2.25 on the ht which are also great but became very expensive.

I have to admit to being chunky monkey curious…. For the money it might be worth a punt.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

chunky monkey trail extreme

momo

Spesh Butcher front Purgatory rear, running them on my FS and will be swapping the BFe onto the same combo when the storm controls come off (previously ran nobby nics until I tore the sidewalls)

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

rick i believe you ride the same white peak stuff as me and a few others (seen you bronson build on BR site, amazing may i add!)

im running a purgatory grid on the rear and a butcher control up front, and had absolutly no issues what so ever with them, great great tyres!

will soon swap the purg to the front and put a captain control grid on the back for a bit more speed when summer kicks in

ps i have tried absolutly ever tyre combination going for our area, and the spesh have been superb in everything this winter up there

sniffy
    Free Member

Quite a few of my group are running Conti Rubber Queens, no issues in the peaks although if used aggresively the tread does chunk out a bit. They seem good for all seasons, we are all using UST 2.2 versions with a scoop of Stans just in case

endurogangster
    Free Member

Same thing I ride everywhere else, rubber queen rear and hams dampf front, tho that’s on a full sus

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Spesh Purg front and back on Oscillating Wildly’s recommendation 🙂

Had some Maxxis Advantage and they were about as durable as wrapping my inner tubes in tissue paper. I had too many rides ruined by running those tyres tubeless and then having terminal punctures (ripped sidewalls, torn off knobs…)

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

purgs are an ace tyre stilltortoise, my mates just bought one too and hes loving it!

i seriously dont think theres a better all round tyre than the purg out there, weight is low, easy tubeless, strong casing, good wear rate, reasonably quick for a bigger tyre (faster than a HD or RQ), and pretty much great grip, there is nothing not to like about them

i cant wait to try it upfront now and stick a slightly faster rolling captain control out back

they are great tyres, no sign of wear, hit some seriously big rocks at speed and never once done any any damage to the tyre (rim on the other hand…..)

cannot fault them, shame they will probably stop making 26″ tyres next year when they replace the 26 models with 27.5

i may seriously have to build a new bike around a tyre combo 😉

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Specialized Purgatorys, end of…….or maybe a Butcher, upfront. Spesh tyres are absolute bargains for the money.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

i may seriously have to build a new bike around a tyre combo

😆

I’ve heard it all now 😆

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

stilltortoise – Member
    i may seriously have to build a new bike around a tyre combo

I’ve heard it all now

8) 😆

ive never used the captain control before, so quite excited (SAD!!) to try it, as i think the purg is pretty quick, the captain should be much quicker now its drying up and spring is upon’st!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

out this weekend?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

yeh defo mate, think doing hope or stanage or similar, what about you? ive been hammering cannock a fair bit lately, wayyyyyyyyy over biked but fun all the same! it was like summer there wednesday, i expect the stuff around us is starting to dry out a bit more now too

roll on spring!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Probably local. Was at Macc forest last weekend and had a cracking ride

tuffty
    Free Member

I asked at 18 Bikes when I bought my Soul frame and they said Maxxis Advantage, so that’s what I have on mine and they seem OK to me.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

^^^ must be right then , any thing else would surely mean certain death in such terrain.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I got my Bandit from 18 Bikes and they came with Advantage. Love the bike, but hated the tyres. Granted I’m not the most graceful of riders, but they were my first experience of tubeless and it was a bad one. The damage I was doing to the tyres was too significant to be fixed by the sealant, so at best I was faffing around putting tubes in to limp home and at worst walking back.

[EDIT] I should add that grip wasn’t a problem at all, so if you’re not trashing them you’ll probably quite like them.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

advantage are way to slim profile (in UST form), the only decent maxxis ones i found for the peak were

Ardent 2.2 UST and a Crossmark 2.25 UST, granted both are only really useable for the one summer month we have a year, but they are great profile tyres

advantage are far too skinny for the peak rocks IMO

RickDraper
    Free Member

Thanks everyone. I am done with Nobby Nics and Schwalbe tyres in general, the sidewalls are made of glass and the nobbles are not exactly durable.

I will try a pair of the Specialized tyres on Oscillating Wildly’s recommendation as he knows the area I ride 😀 Anything is better than what is on my Soul, the current tyre combination is ruining my enjoyment of the bike.

Thought I would ask on here rather than BR as I guessed I would get sensible recommendations instead of the usual condescending idiots over on that forum 😯

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

rick ive run racing ralph on mine in the same area, albeit a UST one, it lasted 2 months in the summer, an absolute cracking grippy fast summer tyre incredibly let down by the sidewalls and knobbly bits falling off, that said they arent really designed for the riding i do, but i still expected the UST to fair better

i just dont think schwalbes (other than Hans Dampf) are compatible with the peak

im currently running purg grid rear and butcher control front, i think the thats the best combo for muddy/winter, but i think it will be overkill for me once it starts drying, then ill be sticking the purg up front and a captain control out back, if it gets really really dry and if i like the captain ill stick another one up front for summer too

lovely lovely bronson BTW (not that im stalking you or anything 😉 )

Spesh +10

Not tried any of the above but about ready for a new set. My Eskars have been great, as were the Enduros before that. They just seem to get it spot on.

RickDraper
    Free Member

Oscillating Wildly you will have to let me know how you get on with the captain control when things start to dry out. I am looking forward to getting the new tyres on and trying them out. The other week I got a double puncher on Charity on the cotic, both holed the sidewalls and the holes were too big for the stand to seal. I ended up putting tubes in both.

Thank you for the comments on the Bronson, I really love it, it is a great bike. There is something strangely satisfying about a nice steel hardtail though.

BadlyWiredDog

ps i have tried absolutly ever tyre combination going for our area, and the spesh have been superb in everything this winter up there

I spat my tea everywhere… you must have a tyre mountain the size of Wales. What did you make of the Minion 2.5DHF front and the Ikon 2.35 rear combo? 🙂

SOAP
    Free Member

I’m going out of my mind here 28 or 30psi?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Rick Draper – Member
    Oscillating Wildly you will have to let me know how you get on with the captain control when things start to dry out. I am looking forward to getting the new tyres on and trying them out. The other week I got a double puncher on Charity on the cotic, both holed the sidewalls and the holes were too big for the stand to seal. I ended up putting tubes in both.

Thank you for the comments on the Bronson, I really love it, it is a great bike. There is something strangely satisfying about a nice steel hardtail though.

will do rick, you dont want to be puncturing down CL twice on the same ride, ouch! pain in the arse! they stand up well to all the bashing ive given them all winter, i dont like running overly big/draggy slow tyres, some people dont mind it, but i prefer if possible something high volume with decent rolling speed, especially on the rear, thats where im hoping the captain control will come in in spring/summer, will report back though or email you when ive tested them for a bit!

BadlyWiredDog – Member
    I spat my tea everywhere… you must have a tyre mountain the size of Wales. What did you make of the Minion 2.5DHF front and the Ikon 2.35 rear combo?

😆 did have a bit of a pile going on for a while, but ive mostly sold them all now, ive just got a set of those crossmax enduro tyres left and thats about it TBH, i sold all my HD’s RQ’s and the racing ralph was binned anyways! minion is too much for me (butcher control is borderline to much for me), and i never tried the ikon mate, the last combo i tried with maxxis was a ardent front and crossmark rear (both UST), pretty heavy but actually a great combo….until……it rained ha!

i must admit im quite shocked ive stuck with the purg/butcher combo for well over 5 months now, so they must be doing something right 😆

BadlyWiredDog

the last combo i tried with maxxis was a ardent front and crossmark rear (both UST), pretty heavy but actually a great combo….until……it rained ha!

Yeah, the 2.25 Ardent’s not a great all conditions from tyre, but ace on the rear. The 2.3 tubeless ready Minion EXO DHF looks good though, about the same size as the Ardent, but a lot toothier. As is the 2.4 Ardent for some reason.

I just run the Minion/Ardent combo all year. The 2.35 Ikon’s surprisingly good though at the back and very quick for a biggish tyre. Stupidly expensive though.

RickDraper
    Free Member

Got the tyres this morning and fitted them up. Looking forward to my first ride on them tomorrow night hopefully.

vincienup
    Free Member

I gave up on rear HD on Soul – very tight fit.
    I just bought a 2.25 Snakeskin Evo Nic to replace. Schwalbe do a lot of combinations – not all of which seem to either make the UK or be reliably labelled. Hugely varied ranges are all well and good until you want to find a shop where you can see and touch. Predictably you are limited to the models the shop think they can shift and this may not include the ones you want…
    The existing HD which I’m very happy with apart from not really fitting this one bike is Pacestar/Evo/Snakeskin so hoping the same spec Nic will work out…
    I have run a 2.0 Spesh Captain Control 2Bliss as a front and liked it. It was even quite good on ice if I remember…

RickDraper
    Free Member

Had my first run out on the purgatory/butcher combination the other day. Felt pretty good but I need to mess around with tyre pressures. Went quite hard with them as I CBA with more punctures but feel a few psi less would make a good improvement. Between the tyres been pumped very hard and the 130mm fork bottoming out at 80mm travel (don’t ask its sorted now) it made for a interesting ride. Hopefully more miles in on them tomorrow and some messing with tyre pressures and we will be in the ball park.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Well, I hope oscilate wildly is right, I’ve just ordered a butcher control and a purgatory grid!

As the Alp holiday this year is going to be more AM than DH, they should do nicely, since where we’re going is more like long long peak descents.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I went with DP 2.5″ Minions and HR’s for my last AM alps trip. It was still nearly all down so a bit more puncture proof and a bit more forgiving was great.

Can’t really get me off my Ardents currently though.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Peak district tyre recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.