Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Peak District routes this weekend?
  • burgatedicky

Assuming the rain this weekend isn’t too biblical where is running well in the Peak at the moment?
    I’m only up for the weekend, and riding on Sunday.
    Were should I head? Or more importantly, where should I avoid!

Ta

flyingmonkeycorps

The Vertebrate all weather loop is always good but probably won’t be much fun in the wind. The woodsy stuff around Ladybower (Hagg Farm, Beast / Fluffy Kittens, Lockerbrook etc) was running fine last weekend.

jekkyl

Avoid the Whitepeak (bakewell&matlock areas) as they will likely be sloppy, imo head for any of the well known routes around Castleton. Cutgate will also likely be a mud fest.
    The 2 big descents (charity lane&cumberland clough) around macc forest are generally very rocky too and not too bad after bad weather.

jamesg55
    Free Member

MBR did a winter loop around Stanage Edge which I rode last winter and that was good. and I think there is a new bit of purpose built trail around that location. sorry cant remember the name of it. but I remember seeing steve peat open it

cnud
    Free Member

That was probably around the Lady Cannings, Houndkirk and Blacka Moor loop area that jamesg55 mentions. Rode it the other week in the rain with a newbie, did 3 laps of the Lady Cannings trail and then a big figure of 8. He loved it but was only about 12 miles or so. Plenty of scope to extend though and no problem in the wet.

jamesg55
    Free Member

that was it lady canning plantation. the loop we did was a figure of 8 also. there was a little bit of a tarmac lane to link one bit to other but it was worth it

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Keep in mind that the rain looks like it’s going to be pretty bad and even more so the wind will be around 50mph gusts on Sunday.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I’ll echo Jekkyl. Cumberland Brook, Charity Lane, Danebower Hollow, Midgley Hill and 3 Shires Head are good year-round options and can be built into a lovely route from Macclesfield Forest, as big or small as you want. The approach to Cumberland Brook can be a little muddy after lots of rain and once into the rocky section at the bottom it can be like riding in a stream, but plenty of grip and not muddy at all. The northernmost descent to 3 Shires Head is best avoided when wet and Midgley Hill can have some big puddles but I don’t remember it ever being unpleasantly muddy.

stevieallison
    Free Member

Rode Charity lane, Danebower head, 3 shires head and cumberland clough last weekend in the pissing rain, was fine, very gritty but no problem. Loads of fun infact. the only mudfest was tghrough the field down to the 3 shires head but you could avoid that by going further down the orad and around if you wanted

sofaboy73
    Free Member

the classic lopp round ladybower & derwent is always a winner and most of it is pretty weather proof – up winn hill, along old roman road, down potato alley, climb up past rowlee farm, down lockerbrook – quick stop a fairholmes for coffee and cake – past derwent damn, climb up to derwent edge up the flags, derwent edge, descent towards cutthroat bridge, bare right onto the edge, down telegraph row, pop out by the pub – stop for pints and hot beef sandwich

16 miles, two food stops and several pints at the end

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Peak District routes this weekend?’ is closed to new replies.