Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Peak District Road Routes
  • njee20
    Free Member

What ho! Off to the Peak for a bit of road riding with some friends this weekend. Never been before. They’re comparatively fit, but not sensationally so, looking for a couple of 40ish mile routes to do. I’ve looked on Strava for popular segments, but would really appreciate if someone could either say:

– do x road, it’s amazing
    – don’t do x road, it’s shit
    – here’s my Strava profile with some good routes to nick

We’re staying in Chesterfield, but happy to chuck bikes into cars to get to a starting point if not on route! Would obviously rather spend more miles on nice rides than waste 20 miles getting to the good bits.

climbingkev
    Free Member

Go to JE James, the big chesterfield cycle shop. Ask for the 2015 cyclefest route. Awesome. 127km, but split over 2 days?

jekkyl

you’re going to the peak and taking a *road* bike! 😯

jet26
    Free Member

Ride through Chatsworth estate stunning and worth doing,

Froggatt edge road climb a great climb as its 5-6% nearly all way so steady away.

The long climb up to owler bar roundabout from Baslow.

Devils elbow climb from hathersage booth to ringinglow road is stunning.

If you feel brave winnats pass (end of hope valley) and mam Nick climb from deals both good but hard work – winnats is a killer!

njee20
    Free Member

you’re going to the peak and taking a *road* bike

Yep, two of the guys are purely roadies. I’m happy enough.

Thanks for the advice, didn’t realise JE James were in Chesterfield. Winnats pass I’ve heard of. Which probably isn’t great.

jet26
    Free Member

Winnats is a great climb – and you can head over the top, right, and then head over the shoulder of mam tor and descend mam nick then do the edible valley – lovely route.

New Road which goes from opposite the yorkshire bridge inn near bamford and brings you out at burbage edge on ringinglow road is also stunning

monksie
    Free Member

From Chesterfield I’d head over to and through Chatsworth, Baslow and then right at the lights at Calcer to Grindleford. Straight up to Fox Houses and turn left, down past Surprise View and through Hathersage and straight on to Hope. Turn right onto Edale Road and follow that through Edale and onto Barber Booth. Up Mam Nick (Edale Rd – longer and much nicer than the gurn fest which is Winnats on the other side of Mam Tor). Turn right at the junction and follow Rushup Edge toward Chapel-en-le-frith. Follow the road all the way down into Chapel and go left on Long Lane on the other side of Chapel. Follow this into Dove Holes. Turn right onto the A6 (not as bad as it’s made out to be) into Buxton. Turn left at the round about and follow the road back to Bakewell and on to Chesterfield.
    It’s an easy route to plot if you have a map and easy enough to follow on the road. Some beautiful views, quiet roads (some obviously not so quiet), tremendous descents, good challenging but not leg or soul breaking climbs. Not sure of the mileage though. Sorry. I just plotted that as I went along while I’m sat in Buxton’s Costa.
    Enjoy your road riding weekend. Both the on and off road riding is excellent round here.

monksie
    Free Member

That’s Calver not Calcer. Sorry.

Ioneonic

Here are 3 rides from our trip last year. Similar distances to you and we were a mixed ability group who all enjoyed the rides. Winnats is lovely and not that long so don’t rule it out. Can always walk a bit if needs be (some of ours did).
    https://www.strava.com/activities/389241899
    https://www.strava.com/activities/389924483
    https://www.strava.com/activities/390626256
    All these ride were great but from memory the 2nd and 3rd were the best.
    Let me know if you cannot download the gpx files.

njee20
    Free Member

Awesome, thanks to all, particularly Monksie and Dougal – can download those routes thanks. I’m happy with gurny climbs, but suspect 2 of the others won’t!

I have mild concerns about my carbon rims exploding on the first descent too, slightly longer descents than Surrey!

antigee

Here’s a loop including Curbar edge a tick in Simon Warren’s 100 Greatest Cycling Climbs if that floats anyone’s boat

My favourite cafe is the Hathersage Swimming Pool one – great views if stop for a lemonade at The Barrel overlooking Eyam and all the Derwent Valley

Might be a bit short could start at Beeley and as suggested ride thru Chatsworth and avoid the Curbar climb by going thru Baslow as already suggested – think there is a nice pub in Beeley as well for recovery drinks

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/15623038

…Winnats is lovely and not that long so don’t rule it out. Can always walk a bit if needs be (some of ours did).

trust they threw up first 😀

scunny
    Free Member
    Haze

One I did a couple of years back…

https://www.strava.com/activities/179301114

You could miss out the loop over to Swiss Hill to get the miles down a bit.

njee20
    Free Member

Tonnes to choose from, thank you! Will update on what we did, assuming I don’t die in a carbon based fireball on the first descent.

njee20
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice all, we did one of Dougal’s rides on Saturday (here) at a very leisurely pace, including riding to and from the hotel, via Curbar Edge. Nearly killed one of the guys, who sat out Winnats, and much waiting for one of the others, but he did alright! Winnats was certainly rather tough! Was a little surprised the route included several miles of gravel path on the Monsal Trail, not sure I’d call it entirely a road ride, pleasant enough though, despite the hoards!

We just did a short loop out round Beeley and Bakewell, lovely climb up from Holymoorside, and the descent into Beeley was great fun. Likewise climb up to Robin Hood and the descent the other side was excellent.

No exploding carbon rims. Lovely weather, great weekend.

antigee

” Lovely weather, great weekend.” ….great to get an update cheers

Ioneonic

Was a little surprised the route included several miles of gravel path on the Monsal Trail, not sure I’d call it entirely a road ride, pleasant enough though, despite the hoards!

Ah yes I’m really sorry about that. I’d completely forgotten. One of ours wanted flat route home at the end so we switched to the trail. It was lovely and quiet then….. If I’d remembered I would have mentioned it!

Thanks for the update, good to hear it all went well.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Peak District Road Routes’ is closed to new replies.