Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Peak District outside drinking water taps
  • r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Evening folks,

Just wondering if there is a list or similar of outside water taps in the Peak District?

I like longer rides but dislike lugging lots of water around with me. Shop keepers tend to be happy to refill my bottles for me if I ask nicely but that depends if they’re open!

Outside tap at ladybower cafe for example. Is there one around hayfield anywhere?

rich-c
    Free Member

Cemeteries usually have a tap somewhere, run a fair bit off 1st before drinking.

Esme
    Free Member

Not the Peak District, but you can get free Stretton Mineral Water near the Long Mynd.

woody21
    Free Member

There is one at the crescent in Buxton, tastes awful but some people must like as you see them filling bottles up with the stuff

antigee

moved away from the Peak but pretty sure there is one outside the toilets below stanage plantation not much use for Hayfield though

living down under and use this app’ to find them – again not much use in Hayfield but it works really well a bit of code theft and some crowd sourcing in order?

https://www.yvw.com.au/Home/Inyourcommunity/ChooseTap/SmartphoneApp/index.htm

thepodge
    Free Member

I quite often drink direct from streams, if you’re bothered you could use a sterilising tablet.

jekkyl

If you see a friendly old person in their garden ask them, I’ve gone so far a couple of times knocking on people’s doors as I was gagging.

boxelder

Woody – that’s Buxton spring water, the stuff they bottle and sell.

hora
    Free Member

Tick. I also hate carrying round a bloody rucksack on my back.

munkster
    Free Member

One at the caff in Monyash. Great bacon sarnies there too.

Esme
    Free Member

There is public tap in Hayfield, near the Visitor Centre.
    It’s hidden under a shelf near a shed in the horse-box area, allegedly . . .

Esme
    Free Member

thepodge, before drinking from streams, you’d better check that jekkyl is not in the vicinity 😉

woody21
    Free Member

Boxelder – I know, it still tastes awful

Munkster – also a very welcoming log burner in winter, on at least two occasions this is where a group of us met up and didn’t get any further and yes the bacon sarnies are ace

html6
    Free Member

There is a tap outside of Flash Bar Stores Cafe near Flash village. Hollinsclough way. Its on the right near main entrance on the little side building.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.2064582,-1.9545718,15z

thepodge
    Free Member

I’ve been drinking out of streams for years, I’m either very lucky or immune to most things now… Finding a swimming STWer is preferable to the dead sheep I once found upstream of drinking

mossman

Bigger campsites usually have a tap, never been told off for topping up at one

BadlyWiredDog

There used to be one at ankle level outside the original 18 Bikes shop in Hope – to the left of the shop door facing the shop – I’m guessing it’s still there and useable, though it might be polite to ask the bike hire folk there now if it’s okay with them.

There’s also a tap on the side of the visitor centre at Fairholmes, Ladybower – if you’re facing the front of the building where the tea hatch is, it’s on the righthand side. Handy on a Cut Gate mission, a bit of a faff if you’re out on a road bike.

I suspect you could also find a tap at the campsite in Hayfield, but it’s close enough to home for me that I’ve never bothered.

damascus
    Free Member

Plus 1 for churches grounds, there’s usually a tap and they don’t mind you using them.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Peak District outside drinking water taps’ is closed to new replies.