• This topic has 24 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Pook.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • PEAK DISTRICT: Ladybower route advice
  • Pook

If I'm parked at Ashopton Viaduct, where do you get on the bridleway that goes round the back of the ladybower pub so I can cut out that road section?

Pinkstiffee
    Free Member

Just the next left after the pub 🙂

Pook

not that one…..from abou 200 yards up that one there's a bridleway off to the left that goes to Ashopton Viaduct. It literally, on the map, goes from the viaduct to the pub, so you don't have to go on the A57 at all

sadexpunk

do you mean the BW that misses out A57 to cut-throat bridge? if so, then as pinkstiffee says, its goes up just next to the pub really.

or do you mean cut-throat bridge itself?

nbt

AT the end of the bridge, follow the track up the hill and round as it doubles back. Keep going. Yo;ll pass the sawmill on your left, through a gate or two and you;re away

Pook

do you mean the BW that misses out A57 to cut-throat bridge? if so, then as pinkstiffee says, its goes up just next to the pub really.

or do you mean cut-throat bridge itself?

No, and No, but thanks, I mean the bridleway that goes from Ashopton Viaduct to behind the Ladybower pub, then joins the bridleway that goes to from Cutthroat to the Pub here…..

(thanks Ordnance Survey and your fantastic get a map service – I have the original version)

The pub end I know, it's the other end I don't

Up towards the buildings from the viaduct nbt?

simonm
    Free Member

The other end is the little Tarmac road just before the Viaduct on the right, turn right up there then immediatley right. Basically follow the Tarmac up the hill past a couple of houses then onto the Bridleway, its a nice bit of Singletrack.
    If you dont turn right then you join the bridleway around Lady bower. Make sense ?

sadexpunk

hmmm looking at that i dont think we've ever done that bit. always come out at the pub from whinstone, or the other way round. we'll have to try that next time 🙂

cheers

jimmy

Is it not where you'd come out from the path which goes round the reservoir, through the gate and instead of hitting the road, stay left up the hill?

Never doen it, but it seems to fit and I always wondered where that went.

ventanarider
    Free Member

off the a57 turn right before the gate that goes towards fairholmes up through the houses and the bway is in front of you through a gate

Pook

Spot on – thanks all!

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

stay on the tarmac until the sawmill then follow your nose

i'll buy you a pint if you can get through all the gloop (no cheating now) directly behind the pub, and give my brother a wave, he'll be the one behind the bar

Pook

If i do that Michael, i'll be riding all of half a mile before going to the pub!

*which on second thoughts seems quite appealing

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

pint of Farmers' Blonde'll do you

we've got the whole place booked out for my birthday in three weeks time 😀

i think we did nearly a whole barrel of the stuff last year

Pook

aye I don't mind Farmers' Blonde actually. There's something about that cow on the label that does it for me

Pook

Next question then – if i extend my ride to go along the BW on Derwent Edge, but then instead of going down by Ashes Farm, I go along to Dovestone Clough and down the FP there, will the rangers jump out and kill me?

ventanarider
    Free Member

not if you do it in the dark!

Kramer
    Free Member

I always end that ride at Cut Throat bridge, just so that I can go to the Ladybower Inn.

scruff
    Free Member

Take a look at that area on Google earth *cough*

Pook

*coughing as we speak scruff* have been for an hour or so, just don't tell my colleagues

🙂

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

Next question then – if i extend my ride to go along the BW on Derwent Edge, but then instead of going down by Ashes Farm, I go along to Dovestone Clough and down the FP there, will the rangers jump out and kill me?

yes

and even more so at night as the house overlooking the clough is where the national trust manager for the entire peak district lives 🙂

Pook

NOT THE NATIONAL TRUST MANAGER FOR THE ENTIRE PEAK DISTRICT!!!!! 😯

I'll drop down earlier and go to the pub then

😀

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

in all honesty it'd be a crap ride anyway, very little used footpath, mostly sheep tracks through the bracken

Pook

yeah that's what i thought looking on google earth. Didn't fancy what looks like a carry at the top of Dovestone Clough either

Pook

Michael, you may owe me a pint….

directly behind the pub, before i joined the cutthroat bridge BW, there was indeed a lot of gloop – which i made it through! The stuff on the way up Whinstone Lee Tor on the other hand…

If your brother saw a silver focus check his boot in the car park at about 8.30pm, that was me

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘PEAK DISTRICT: Ladybower route advice’ is closed to new replies.