Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Peak district hills for a 5 year old.
  • supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Planning to take my son up a “mountain”. Want to give him a great first experience of walking up hills, thinking short day – less than 5 miles. good views and a summit, a bit scrambly on the way up and plenty of variation.

first thoughts were Kinder via grindsbrook clough and back down ringing roger and the nab.

any other suggestions?

ElShalimo

Chrome Hill or Parkhouse Hill near Earl Sterndale. Proper little hill and nice surroundings.
    Go for lunch in the Quiet Woman afterwards

ahwiles
    Free Member

Did you say ‘scrambly’?

Win Hill – via Parkin Clough (more or less a straight line from The Yorkshire Bridge inn, Bamford)

Brilliant view from the Top.

matt_outandabout

Kinder via grindsbrook clough and back down ringing roger and the nab.

^This.

Garry_Lager

I took my work group up grindsbrook clough once and there were some sad faces amongst the more sedentary members. Guess an active 5 year old might fare better, although I’d be prepared to give him a shoulder ride on the way back when he gets tired.

We’ve done Win Hill from Hope with a 5yo – that’s quite manageable and has a mountain-y bit on the top with nice views. Not as interesting as Kinder, though.

willyboy
    Free Member

If you are nearer Ashbourne you could try Thorpe Cloud. It’ll be easier than Kinder, but is still a good little walk from the base by the river. There is also the benefit of the stepping stones across the Dove at the bottom.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

cheers.

thorpe cloud is closer to home and he’s been across the stepping stones before.

I’ll take a look at chrome hill, need to work out a route.

I’ve never been that excited by win hill. it’s a bit too roundy. if that makes sense.

when motivated by chocolate my son is pretty energetic! But the surroundings need to be varied enough to be interesting.

ahwiles
    Free Member

it’s a bit too roundy. if that makes sense.

not really…

you can even go off the trail a bit, and scramble to the summit.

Bunnyhop

lantern Pike from ‘The Little Mill’ at Rowarth would be good.
    The pub itself has a really good play area,with the worlds biggest slide (as my nephew called it at the age of 4).
    Walk starts off on easy tarmac. Up a rocky sandy track. Left turn at top down track (easy walking). At gate turn sharp right up narrow path that runs along dry stone wall. Turn right at gate up steep Pennine bridleway. Footpath is on the right hand side. This bit is very scrambly and takes you to the top. Views at trig point are amazing. Either turn back the way you came (at trig point)or, carry on along path turn left at end. This is steep downhill back towards Pennine bridleway.
    Alternative is to start in Hayfield.

bensales
    Free Member

Just make sure it’s a pointy one. Kids don’t care how high a ‘mountain’ is, but it has to be pointy to fit their mental picture.

iain1775
    Free Member

Just make sure it’s a pointy one. Kids don’t care how high a ‘mountain’ is, but it has to be pointy to fit their mental picture.

Very true, just showed my 5 year old that picture of a Win Hill and she said it’s a mountain not a hill
    Because it’s pointy, and hills are round 🙂

wrightyson
    Free Member

Thorpe cloud?

hammerite
    Free Member

Is Mam Tor a little too easy/short? We walked up there with Jnr when he was around that age. Fantastic views, can watch the paragliders, check out the cavern and easy to go for a cake in Castleton at the end.

matt_outandabout

Very true, just showed my 5 year old that picture of a Win Hill and she said it’s a mountain not a hill
    Because it’s pointy, and hills are round

Does it need a ring of snow on the top? If so, Ben More is your target:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/9sdiEr]Ben More and Sron na Clachain, over Loch Tay[/url] by Matt Robinson, on Flickr

stilltortoise
    Free Member

The Cheshire Matterhorn?

[url=https://flic.kr/p/dsbCdT]Shutlingsloe (The Cheshire Matterhorn) viewed from Bowstones, Lyme Park, Disley, Cheshire[/url] by vg92, on Flickr

Bunnyhop

Shutlingsloe is a good idea.
    Its the very hill we took our nephew up when he was about 6.
    After a bit of wining at the bottom he loved it. It can be quite windy as you climb the last section which adds to the excitement of the ascent.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Take your bikes and have a play on the big jumps and drops in Macc Forest 😉

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Peak district hills for a 5 year old.’ is closed to new replies.