Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Peak District Food advice. Plus kid stuff…..
  • beagle
    Free Member

Soo. I have a big birthday this coming week and I’m off out with Mrs Beagle, mini Beag and my folks for the day, Thursday and looking to eat about 5pm.

We all really like Sutton Hall in Macc for its real ale and food selection as an idea. Ideally looking for something between Hayfield over to Sheffield. Doesn’t have to be a pub either – Indian or Thai is good too, but 5pm may be a problem.

Any suggestions of where to eat would be awesome! We are thinking of a wee walk round Eyam during the day and maybe finding some animals for mini Beags to see if that helps…

Cheers All.

carlos
    Free Member

The Fox House just outside of Hathersage always seems to get good reviews. I’ve not been other than for a cheeky post ride pint (ages ago)

http://www.vintageinn.co.uk/content/vintage-inn/en/restaurants/yorkshire/thefoxhouselongshaw

BadlyWiredDog

Old Hall in Whitehough, near Chinley is good for food and beer and very friendly. Don’t know what time they serve from though. On the animal front, the Chesnut Centre – part way up the main road towards Rushup Edge from Chapel has an impressive mix of owls and otters.

I’m sure there’s decent food somewhere around Castelton/Hope but I’m a little out of touch with what’s currently good there.

fathomer

Not sure if to out of your way but the Royal Oak in Hurdlow is very nice.

woody21
    Free Member

I’d second the Royal Oak

slowoldman

I believe the Scotsman’s Pack in Hathersage do good food. The Bull’s Head in Foolow is nice but opens in the evening at 6:30.

daftvader
    Free Member

Fox house is good, good food and beer, but park your car as close to the pub as possible and don’t leave ANYTHING on display…

beagle
    Free Member

Cheers All. Will post an update next week. Old Hall in has been on the radar for a bit, so give that a try after having a look at the others on line.

Been past Fox House lots and thought it looked nice.

Anyone been to Cricket Inn near Dore? Or the wee farm at Whirlow?

MoreCashThanDash

Royal Oak thirded if you can change direction, but only heard good stuff about Old Hall

simonbowns
    Free Member

I’ll be the first to say that I really don’t rate the Fox House, or the Dore Moor (same “Vintage Inns” ownership) Nice buildings, average food.

Cricket Inn is decent, gets busy at obvious times.

Broadfield further into town has the best pub grub imho. 5pm won’t be a trouble there I don’t think.

Bunnyhop

Another vote here for ‘The Old Hall’ near Chinley.

jfletch
    Free Member

I’ll be the first to say that I really don’t rate the Fox House, or the Dore Moor (same “Vintage Inns” ownership) Nice buildings, average food

Agreed, chain pubs in disguise. The food is nice but not “special”.

ineedabeer
    Free Member

Barrel inn at Bretton, highest pub in the peak great views and food is top notch. Its not far from Hathersage.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Just had our wedding reception at the Old Hall Inn – they did us a fantastic BBQ and the staff were all excellent

Conversely I don’t really rate Sutton Hall…

Bunnyhop

jamesgarbett – Member
    Just had our wedding reception at the Old Hall Inn

James – congratulations 😀

philtricklebank

Chequer’s Inn, Froggatt, nice walk down from the edge. Excellent food.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

another vote for the checquers inn in froggatt, great food.

avoid the fox house food is very average chain pub fare imho

slowoldman

Good to see a mention for the Chequers. I took my parents there for dinner after graduating many,many years ago. It was excellent but I haven’t been back since. I may have to rectify that.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Thanks Jane! 🙂

beagle
    Free Member

Brilliant. Big thanks to all. Definitely making the trip to Old Hall Inn – whether it’s with the whole gang this week, we’ll see. That’ll be good for a night with Mrs B as it’s fairly close by! 😀

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Peak District Food advice. Plus kid stuff…..’ is closed to new replies.