• This topic has 24 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by hora.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Peak District Descents
  • gorillainthepeak
    Free Member

Thought I’d see what downhill sections people prefer in the Peaks. My top five are probably as follows though it changes each time I ride:

1. Switchbacks from Whinstone Lee Tor to Ladybower Inn (Les Arcs/New Pants Please on Strava)
    2. Cave Dale (always controversial this but I love how intense this has to be if you want to clean it)
    3. Lockerbrook/Gores – fast and loads of fun
    4. Jacob’s Ladder towards Edale
    5. Hollins Cross to Edale (the diagonal one that ends up below Back Tor)

Let me know yours…

mildbore

Agree with that lot, but the first one should include the rock garden above the tor. Also Win Hill cheeky/top of Parkin Clough/switchbacks in the woods. Potato Alley. Haggs Farm.

thepodge
    Free Member

I like all the ones that haven’t been plastered all other the internet and become 6 foot wide with 8 line choices

poisonspider
    Free Member

I like all the ones that haven’t been plastered all other the internet and become 6 foot wide with 8 line choices

Which are those??

The Beast deserves a mention as does Stannage plantation.

mintimperial

Backtor (5) is a good call, often overlooked but excellent fun I think.

I’ll always have a soft spot for the fun bits of Cut Gate, the Cranberry Clough Switchbacks and the Mickleden Edge singletrack are both ace.

gorillainthepeak
    Free Member

Cut Gate towards Slippery Stones is a good shout, love the fast rutty bit leading into the technical steps at the end.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Top 5? Wow, that’s a tricky one 😕

If I had to pick one it would be the descent down Macclesfield Old Road into Buxton. Objectively it may not be the best, but back in the late 80s when I first started MTBing this was the finale of the first guidebook route I ever did as well as being local, so holds a place in my heart. It’s still very rocky, as fast as you dare and can no doubt catch you out if you’re not concentrating. It’s also a good challenge to climb.

twang
    Free Member

…waits for op’s inevitable spam post….

steveh

The first one is a prime case of one that has been over used and has suffered huge erosion over the last couple of years. It should very much be an occasional choice not the normal trail to use. The use it has had especially over winter has destroyed it’s character.

ahwiles
    Free Member

poisonspider – Member

Which are those??

#1 on the list for starters.

it also very naughty, and highly visible – which might be ok if the trail could cope with the traffic, but it clearly can’t.

And if we’re allowed to nominate cheeky trails, then the top5 would include none of the above.

colournoise

I’m not a local, so only tend to ride the ‘tourist’ trails but my top 5 would be –

Jacob’s Ladder – top mix of speed and rocky tech.

Cavedale – for the challenge in just riding it without cocking up at some point.

The Beast – I know it gets derided by some, but for me a cool progressive trail – first couple of times you’re just trying to get down it and then you’re trying to find the faster/smoother lines every time you ride it.

Lockerbrook – flat out fun (except for that boggy dippy bit after the left hander).

Hagg Farm – more rocky corners than the rest of The Peak put together?

jekkyl

Can I put in a white peak descent?
    Coombs dale is ace, unlike most natural trails it’s of a decent length and seems to go on forever.
    In the dark I like Haggs Farm down to the res, lots of roots, rocks and line choices.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Come on, let’s see some love for the other corners of the Peak District. Good ones that spring to mind that aren’t Derwent and Hope Valley:

– Charity Lane (Macclesfield Forest) – it may be a typical straight liner, but it’s in a great situation
    – Cumberland Brook – ride smoothly or get a flat. Like Potato Alley but with at least a couple of corners and entertainingly like riding in a stream after rain
    – Hollinsclough – not ridden there for a while but my memory is of the descents being some of the toughest non-cheeky ones in the Peak District

jekkyl

If only there was a decent guiding company who do good mtbing weekends with accomodation, perhaps a company who are a little short of funds for legit advertising. Anyone know of one?

iain1775
    Free Member

– Charity Lane (Macclesfield Forest) – it may be a typical straight liner, but it’s in a great situation
    – Cumberland Brook – ride smoothly or get a flat. Like Potato Alley but with at least a couple of corners and entertainingly like riding in a stream after rain
    – Hollinsclough – not ridden there for a while but my memory is of the descents being some of the toughest non-cheeky ones in the Peak District

These

Or-

Hayfield Campsite descent
    The long blast down from Shooters cabin on kinder

matt10214
    Free Member

Potato Alley, Cut Gate, Lockerbrook, Hagg Farm and Roman Road for me!

dirtyrider
    Free Member
    hora
    Free Member

I agree with podge. OP can you not advertise sensitive trails please.

dazh

Not quite inside the Peak, but close enough…

The Mellor Cross switchbacks at Roman Lakes (near New Mills).

As for advertising sensitive trails, due to our ridiculous ROW laws they’re plastered all over OS maps in the form of dashed lines. What more advertising do you need?

chrishc777
    Free Member

I did the Beast, it was good. I also did Roman Road, it wasn’t very good

tonup
    Free Member

The alpine
    The beast
    lockerbrook
    jacobs ladder
    spud alley
    the lion
    sneaky dh track up new barn (side of ladybower) 😉
    jacobs ladder to hayfield in reverse is a belter 😉
    sneaky off piste off left hand side of beast
    hagg side
    and one shooting down the right of hollin cross into hope, christ knows what its called but its awsome.
    blackermoor always worth a look, some awsome singletrack down there, look 😉
    https://youtu.be/5DpYj7VgQVo
    devils elbow ect,
    burbage edge descents always worth a go,
    oh, and millstone quarry (mother cap) at fox house,
    awsome techy descent that has loads of a,b or c trail options,
    you need to choose the right trail or your deffo getting off,
    choose wisely and you can make it the whole way down,
    not done it yet,,, one day,,,, one day 😉

bigdean

Strangely I think roman road is a better climb than descent.
    I really enjoyed some of the trails some trail quest send you down, probably because going down steep rocky paths slowly on a rigid is sometimes just as much fun as blasting down at speed on a full suss.

beano68
    Free Member

Went to Stalybridge a few weeks ago for the 1st time and some cracking decents around there 🙂 tried to go to Alpine but the weather was horrendous … will be going back there soon as its brilliant riding around there

You lucky lot living around there ! 😉

Pook

Charity Lane
    Lockerbrook
    Cavedale
    One I’m not going to tell you about
    Another I’m not going to tell you about.

hora
    Free Member

Stalyvegas is good. It also has great locals (old and young) in interesting bars.

Within minutes your on the tops etc there heading either way

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Peak District Descents’ is closed to new replies.