• This topic has 22 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Pook.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Peak District Conditions at the mo?
  • jonostevens
    Free Member

Hi all,

Mate’s doing an ironman (lunatic, idiot, hero) on Sunday in Bolton. Have booked the next day off work to do a ride in the Peaks on my way home.

Fancied doing Jacob’s Ladder, but what are the conditions like up there at the mo?

Ta very much.

weirdnumber
    Free Member

I was around Mam Tor and foolishly skirted the edge of Ladybower yesterday. Anywhere that wasn’t rocky was a swamp.

Pook

surprisingly dry. you’ll be fine.

crazy-legs

Anything with a peat based trail (Broad Clough, Rushup Edge) is virtually unrideable. Anything hardpacked or rocky is fine.

Pook

ah yeah – I was riding the rocks. Jacobs will be fine though depends where you link into t from

Stevelol
    Free Member

I went to cut gate on sun and it was rideable to the cairn, few boggy spots that only dry when its been properly dry for a while.

jonostevens
    Free Member

Thanks everyone. Any suggestions on hardpacked / rocky routes please? Never ridden there, only hiked.

Looking to be out about 3-4 hours.

extremenik
    Free Member

Anyone know what Stanage Edge would be like.
    Regards
    Nick

MrNice
    Free Member

at a guess, the rocky bits will be rocky and you’ll be fine while the not rocky bits will be not rocky and you’ll be up to your axles 😉

BadlyWiredDog

Thanks everyone. Any suggestions on hardpacked / rocky routes please? Never ridden there, only hiked.

Er, Jacob’s Ladder. The Roych’ll probably be sludgy, but if it’s dry for a few days, it all dries surprisingly quickly.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Most of Saturdays pootle was ok, couple of damp patches. The route on here, would link but on phone not lappy.

DJTC
    Free Member

much drier than expected. jacobs ladder will be fine and good fun.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@jonostevens – Mr Pook is master of the Peak (in my book), he holds the secrets, he was kind enough to provide me with an epic 4hr ride (20k but I’m not speedy), Eadale, Hollins Cross, Mam Tor, Rushup Edge, Roych Clough, Jacobs, Eadale. If you want to make that 5+hrs you can add in descent via Limestone Way descent to Castleton (cut off at Mam Tor then return there via landslipped road. Email me if you care for a map. Up to Hollins Cross and particularly Rushup Edge will be wet but rest is rocky, I rode it a week after the April snow.

portlyone

Whinstone Lee Tor is out then?

MrNice
    Free Member

it’s a bit damp in Sheffield this morning which won’t help. I’d assume WLT will be a bog but as others have said the rocky bits are fine and if you pick your route you can avoid most of it.

portlyone

Might adjust our route to take in potato alley instead then, ta

Jamie
    Free Member

@jonostevens – Mr Pook is master of the Peak (in my book), he holds the secrets, he was kind enough to provide me with an epic 4hr ride (20k but I’m not speedy), Eadale, Hollins Cross, Mam Tor, Rushup Edge, Roych Clough, Jacobs, Eadale. If you want to make that 5+hrs you can add in descent via Limestone Way descent to Castleton (cut off at Mam Tor then return there via landslipped road. Email me if you care for a map. Up to Hollins Cross and particularly Rushup Edge will be wet but rest is rocky, I rode it a week after the April snow.

Anyone got a .gpx of this? Might be in Sheff this weekend, and fancy running it.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Stay off the softer routes – it hammered down all last night and a lot of today, inc a very heavy mid afternoon burst, so lots and lots of puddles to jump into.

Bunnyhop

Might adjust our route to take in potato alley instead then, ta

I’d rather ride the Beast portlyone.

To the op – if you ride Jacobs Ladder, go up Chapel Gate instead of Rushups Edge and miss out Mam tor.

Hayfield area was boggy on Tuesday and will be even more so now we’ve had days of rain.

jonostevens
    Free Member

Thanks everyone

@jambalaya – that was roughly the route I was looking at taking.

@Bunnyhop – Thanks for that, will bear Chapel Gate in mind. A route incorporating The Beast was the other option I was considering. Looks a lot of fun.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Jono – did i meet you this morning at the A57/bottom of the beast area (near the naked camping man)?

jonostevens
    Free Member

Hi Rob,

Yes, that was me. Was just about to post and say thank you to the guy that turned me back in the right direction after the Beast!

Took the route up into the woods like you said and had a nice descent. Final descent back into Hope was great too. Beautiful weather, just wish I could have stayed longer. Will definitely be back.

Hope you had a good ride.

Pook

‘master of the peak’

<blush>

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Peak District Conditions at the mo?’ is closed to new replies.