Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • PEAK DISTRICT CLOSED
  • ibis
    Free Member

Just getting ahead of the B-Hol w-end warriors

(Whats the weather in the Peak’s Like this weekend)?

Were shut so stay at home 🙂

glenh
    Free Member

It took me 3 times as long as usual to get to work this morning due to all the roads that are blocked by snow, so I imagine some of it is certainly difficult to get to at least.

Stoner
    Free Member

American ‘phones the tourist office:
    “Hi there. Can you tell me are the Cotswolds open on Sundays?”

No ma’am, they are not.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    monkeychild
    Free Member

Was meant to be riding the Peak (stannage area) on Thurs. Our trip has been cancelled 🙁 Was looking forward to trying my El Mariachi out there.

IHN

Too right. I don’t want annoying Yanks spoiling my Sunday lunch in the Farmer’s Arms in Guiting Power 🙂

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

I’m sure the grumpy as **** staff in the woodbine will be pleased to give everyone a warm welcome.

scaled
    Free Member

Our Macc forest ride was aborted after an hour and <4 miles due to it being bloody stupid.

Nearly got the van stuck twice as well 😀

hopevalley

I hear there are cars buried in Stanage popular end car park and the road from hathersage to stanage had 3 metre drifts at the weekend. I’m ‘riding’ up on to stanage tonight so will let you know… 🙂

muzzle
    Free Member

Don’t attempt Houndkirk Road – there are 6 foot walls of snow across the track, seriously. Spectacular to look at, but not exactly rideable (as I found out yesterday). Piper Lane descent on Blacka Moor is pretty much a write-off as well at the moment.

PaulB
    Free Member

The Peak is a bit of a mess with the snow. We set off from Sherwood at the end of yesterdays nationals and got the car home just before 11.00 last night, normally an hours journey (we live near Flagg, 4×4 and 5 winters experience in Norway and Canada.
    The farmers, quarrymen and DCC drivers are working non-stop to clear the roads and doing an amazing job, they would do it quicker if folk let them.
    Folks winging about there car being trashed by a loading shovels bucket have some learning to do. Honest guv, thought it was a snow drift.

PaulB
    Free Member

Sorry clicked on the post button before finishing.

Expect a difficult ride / walk. Plan to have bail out options. Carry emergency kit. Think where you are parking. Have a shovel as a minimum in the car to dig into and out of a parking spot. Expect the unexpected.

hopevalley

I went up towards stanage last night and as a local it was ‘fun’ for a couple of hours or so but not worth a trip over as riding was intermittent and most time was spent pushing, carrying and digging. Several cars completely buried on the dale under stanage and roads are wall to wall with 5 or 6 foot of snow – likely to be that way for a week or more. A couple of drifts were getting on for 20 foot or more. Will try and get out again tonight but I’d second what paul B said… 40mph winds and lots of spindrift on the tops mean you need to be well prepared!

footflaps

We need photos!

crazy-legs

We need photos!

Try this:
    http://www.buxtonweather.co.uk/

And from my “ride” (walk/carry/push) on Sunday:

hopevalley

just near the cattle grid at Stanage popular end… and yup that’s a car….

scaled
    Free Member

Heading up to charity lane from where they’ve done the logging in macc forest.

This is actually downhill of the smithy…

adjustablewench
    Free Member

sheff rec cycling club ‘ride’ not sure if this link will work

hopevalley

snow ride
    try this.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Try using the share button then select bb code and what size you want. Copy and paste the code in that box and you get this.

barry snow bike by hope_valley, on Flickr

hopevalley

I’m a technical idiot.

brilliant, cheers

trail_rat
    Free Member

thought you had alot of snow….

thats not a drift – thats a pile where the road has been cleared too…

footflaps

sheff rec cycling club ‘ride’ not sure if this link will work

That looks cold!

Good effort with the ride mind….

steveb

Whats the snow situation around Bakewell and Youlgreave, anyone know?
    Supposed to be there over the Easter W/E.

docrobster
    Free Member

Yes the dark peak is closed. Unless you have skis.
    More snow forecast before the weekend.
    Tried to go over houndkirk to blacka on Sunday.
    After wading through thigh deep snow drifts we took the road back home.

MarkLG
    Free Member

I was out and about around Holmfirth, Marsden, etc in the car on Sunday and it was like a disaster movie. Cars which had got stuck overnight were buried upto their roof. The roads across the tops were either completely closed due to drifting snow, or were just about passable by 4×4. I can’t imagine there’s any worthwhile riding to be done around here this weekend, unless you stick purely to low level stuff.
    Hopefully the roads will have been cleared by the time I get home at the weekend, but the bike will be staying in the garage, and I’ll be putting on my walking boots instead 😉

scaled
    Free Member

Any offers what it’s like up round Roman Lakes/Marple/Rowarth?

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Snowing like mad at the moment!
    Ground wet so only settling on the snowy bits.
    Road in and out to Sheff ok this morning as staff made it in to work.
    May be sending them home at lunchtime!

crazy-legs

Bit of an update from today. Winnats Pass has now reopened but the Mam Nick road (from Rushup Edge down to Barber Booth/Edale is still completely blocked. Do not be fooled by it looking clear on the Rushup Edge side, the Road Closed sign is there for a very good reason as just over the summit (near the bus stop/layby), they’ve given up on ploughing it and it’s 4-5ft deep! A lot of the little back lanes round Chinley and Sparrowpit are still badly snowed under.
    Can get to Edale via Hope, that’s clear and the trains are running fine along that Sheffield – Manc line.

Most of the trails aren’t worth riding. Anything with a wall either side will be largely unrideable, anything with a wall both sides is largely impassable! Rushup Edge/Chapel Gate and the Roych Clough/Mount Famine trail aren’t worth attempting.

bowglie

Crazy-legs, I think you’ve just answered my question (ta! 🙂 ) It sounds like the road between Hope & Edale is clear then.

Myself and MrsB are thinking about doing a lanes ride/potter about, including Hope to Edale (cuppa at Penny Pot caff). We also wondered about having a look at the bridleway up to Jaggers on the way past.

vickypea
    Free Member

We rode in the Mellor / Strines area last night and it was okay. Felt cold but it was wetter and muddier and less frozen than we were expecting.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘PEAK DISTRICT CLOSED’ is closed to new replies.