Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Peak District bikepackerists – ideas for a route
  • rocket
    Free Member

Looking for a route this weekend – we’ll be on gravel / cx type bikes. We had been looking at the Trans Cambrian, but thinking now it might be too much for us as a first time bikepack. Never ridden in the Peaks before but really keen to explore. Not asking for your secret bivi or camping spots (unless you’re happy to share of course – in which case you might prefer to drop me a mail 🙂 ) but it would be great to get an idea of routes or where to link up.

There has been lots of useful info posted here in the past about Peaks MTB routes (alot of which I’ve bookmarked), but all seem to be focused on proper MTB rather than something that would be achievable / enjoyable on a CX bike. Thinking 2 nights, maybe 80 – 100 miles? Happy to include a bit of (quiet) road. Start later on Friday, full day Sat, then half a day Sunday.

We’ll be heading up from Cambridge and be in a car so can be flexible in terms of start ing points, but a loop would be preferred.

Thank you kindly wonderful folk of STW 🙂

DiscJockey
    Free Member

There’s very little forest in the Peak District, so you won’t find many forestry commission/Landrover tracks (aka gravel roads).

You’ll be better off aiming for disused railway lines, green lanes and other bridleways. And obviously it’ll be worth doing some road sections to join things up. And you’ll inevitably end up doing some MTB trails, as that’s the only way to get through certain parts.

If you’re heading up from the south, you could consider starting in the southern parts of the White Peak, near Matlock Bath. Just north of Wirksworth, you’ve got the Pennine Bridleway (Midshires Way). If you keep heading on this trail, north-westerly, you’ll get through Chelmorton, and then eventually Castleton. If you then do a loop from there (I’m deliberately ignoring this bit), on the leg back, when you get back to Tideswell, rather than do the same in reverse, you can descend down to Millers Dale and follow the Monsal Trail south-easterly (disused railway line with amazing tunnels) back to Bakewell.

Have fun 🙂

scaled
    Free Member

You could do the new south peaks loop?

http://www.peakhorsepower.co.uk/south-peak-loop/4591186779

jamiep
    Free Member

Cycling Weekly’s Peak Distric Pioneer is all easily cross-able although a fair bit of road too. Took me 5 hours at a hard pace. No idea about camping though

thepodge
    Free Member

Someone (Alex I think) posted some pics the other day of them camping up and around Stanage.

simon1975

Any of the gritstone edges make great bivvy spots in fine weather – Stanage, Derwent, Frogatt, Curbar, Burbage. Arrive late, leave early, and leave no mess. You can usually find some shelter from the wind but they’ll still be very exposed if the weather turns.

I also like old quarries as they’re much more sheltered, but ideally you want them facing east to get warm in the morning sun. Chinley Churn is excellent for that (Cracken Edge). I always aim for a big hill near a nice pub. Enjoy a beer or two until it’s almost dark then go up the hill to find a spot for the night.

As for routes, the Pennine Bridleway going west from Cromford would get some easy mileage in. Dull under tyre as it’s miles of old railway to start with, but very scenic. Start with that, then head north on more interesting terrain, perhaps via Miller’s Dale and on up towards Castleton. It depends where you want to go!

dknwhy

I’ve got THIS route lurking on My Viewranger account. I think I got it from someone on the Bear Bones forum. Can’t remember really. You’re welcome to give it a go. Might be a bit short for you though…

rocket
    Free Member

Sorry for late reply – thanks so much folks. Some really useful info here. I’ve put together a route based on the Peak Prowler Jamiep linked to (which in turn is similar to Scaleds route). I wanted to pass by Ladybower as I remember wild camping there over 20 years ago when I finished my exams at school. Anyway, here it is – https://ridewithgps.com/routes/16440448 – feel free to pass comment. We’ll probably do it over 2 nights – 2 half days with a full day in between. Weather not looking great for Friday night so probably take a tent rather than bivvy. Thanks again!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Peak District bikepackerists – ideas for a route’ is closed to new replies.