Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Peak District – any areas to avoid?
  • jairaj

Got next week off and thinking of heading to the Peak District for a few days biking.

I’ve got a guide book so I’ve got more than enough trails to ride but was wondering if there are any particular areas I should avoid at this time of the year? or is the whole area riding well at the moment.

thanks in advance.

Pook

Generally the dark peak fairs better than the white at this time of year. Where did you have in mind?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Pook speaks wise words although I’d love to get one last run around Chatsworth bakewell if anyone can tell me it’s still okay.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I am not a local expert but I’d say avoid Cut Gate. Rush-up Edge will be boggy but worth picking your way around for the riding it offers.

I did one White Peak ride over one winter and nearly lost both shoes in the mud !

isitafox
    Free Member

To be fair the weather here has been pretty good the last month or so and we’re still getting 16/17° most days so I can’t imagine the trails will be too bad

jairaj

No real plan yet it’s all very last minute but looking like we’ll be in the dark peak around castleton.

So looks like apart from cut gate everything should be ok? I’m not expecting prefect weather so don’t mind the odd bit of mud.

Pook

Hmm. Not quite. From Castleton you’ll be looking at mam tor loops. There’s some robust stuff that way but also some bogs. Email me and I’ll try to suggest some loops. Also, get the dark peak vgraphics book for ideas

jairaj

thank you for the offer Pook, email sent.

jairaj

Hi Pook,

Not heard back from you yet, did you receive my email?

No worries if you’re busy and haven’t had time to reply, just checking you received the mail.

thanks, Jai

Pook

Sorry bud, I’m away this weekend. I’ll have a look when I’ve got my laptop again tomorrow. I only have my phone so won’t be able to plot anything

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Not been in the dark peaks since September but white peaks stuff seems to be in excellent condition.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Drs gate was like a river – cut gate was boggy on top, win hill was boggy on the derwent reservoir side and the pennine bridleway was very very wet – this was Friday

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Peak District – any areas to avoid?’ is closed to new replies.