Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Peak District Advice
  • heckler87
    Free Member

Hi, me and a few mates are off to peak district in may near buxton. Wondered if anyone had any advice or routes they are willing to share. we are from the lake district and are at a good fitness level. Looking for rides of 3/4hrs off road as much as possible. Cheers

loddrik
    Free Member

If you’re a southerner I’d just stick to the Surrey Hills and Swinley, if you’re a Northerner you’ll have a great time.

cy

I’d make sure to get over to Hope and do some riding in the Dark Peak if you’re here for a few days. It’s classic Peak riding. Don’t know Buxton area myself. Can highly recommend the Vertebrate Publishing guide books though if you want to get something with maps and directions instead of internet hand waving.

superfastjellyfish
    Free Member

I was in the Peaks this weekend down from Carlisle, for the Cotic Rocket Demo. I did find it hard at first to link routes as there are so many short sections of bridleway. But after some deliberation and as Simon and Matt from 18bikes said, pick a bridleway, you can’t go wrong! we came up with two routes.

Morning – http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/uMBRAdJ2fcU
    Afternoon – http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/qFJ5aXoLoMo

(edit) You’ll need OS Maps OL1 and OL24, we mainly used OL1

joao3v16
    Free Member

Ditto cy.

I’ve not ridden much around Buxton, not sure exactly what’s available round there.

However, if you can get up to Hope, Edale, Hayfield there’s loads of superb riding (get an OS explorer map) … also look for Hope Cross, Edale Cross, Mam Tor, Kinder Reservoir, Jacobs Ladder … that area …

Cut Gate (runs north from the northern end of the Derwent reservoir) is a well-respected route, but a bit dubious if it’s wet. Best done as an out-and-back, unless you want to turn it into a monster loop that’ll take the best part of a whole day.

Not really singletrack in the peaks, but plenty of rocky and technical climbs and descents.

(Not my websites):

http://www.theedgecycleworks.com/mtbroutes/peak-district

http://www.mountainbikerides.co.uk/routes/1-the-peak-district.html

nosedive
    Free Member

I would definitely echo what joao3v16 says, the best riding is in the dark peak and there is more of it. start in Edale and you cant really go wrong.

Rik
    Free Member

Hollinsclough is just south of Buxton – which is about as rocky and hard as the White peak gets. Boulders as big as fridges and all terribley good fun.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I used to live in Buxton. If you don’t want to drive to Derwent Valley/Hayfield etc there is some great riding you can do from Buxton but it will be linked by road sections. If you like technical rocky descents you’d do worse than head to Hollinsclough, where it’s not too hard to link up to the Pennine Bridleway. I used to enjoy getting out over the old (and rocky) road from Buxton to Derbyshire Bridge, from where you can link to Cumberland Brook, Three Shires Head and the Macclesfield Forest without too much trouble. If you’re fit you should be able to put together a decent route taking all that in within your timescale…just about.

I do recommend the Vertebrate Graphics guide books for some inspiration. There’s lots of routes a short (riding) distance from Buxton that can be linked together for the fit.

A word of warning: the traditional “Buxton circuit” that takes in the Goyt Valley is pleasant but not terribly technical for the most part. It might be a bit dull for Lake District locals 🙂

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Hollinsclough is just south of Buxton – which is about as rocky and hard as the White peak gets.

FTFY

excitable1
    Free Member

Drop me an e-mail and I’ll send you some GPS’s of 3 big routes I’ve done where I’ve linked up several of the regular shorter routes. One in Macclesfield which drops past Buxton; one that starts in Marple Lakes but links up some loops around Hayfield and one that links up most of the routes around Ladybower.

Shorty121
    Free Member

If you find a route I could always show you around

thorlz
    Free Member

Did the “buxton circuit” today.

I would agree with you, it is a plesent ride, but not one to rush back to regulary, many once or twice a year.

I prefer the Mac. forrest/charitylane-forest chapel/cat and fiddle/dane bower hollow/three shire head/ cumberland route myself as you have mentioned.

mattrgee
    Free Member

Simples.

james
    Free Member

to the south of Buxton you have the area from Wildboarclough over to Hollinsclough has a load of ‘dark-peak-esque/level’ trails. easy get 2 day rides or try linking bits of both areas together via Flash
    Its not got the same ‘big’-hill-feel as Ladybower res./edale area, but if you’re nearby in buxton then Id definetly give it a go. Depends how much you like quiet trails?

The V Graphics white and dark books have routes that use some great bits, but IIRC seem to veer off to macclesfield forest, goyt valley or longnor (though Ive not ridden those bits .. was going by the route descriptions in the V graphics books)
    The ‘good mountain biking guide’ shows some permissive b.way stuff and b.ways from gradbach via danebridge and over the roaches that make up part of a good rocky loop

alexpalacefan

Got a GPS machine that will follow a .gpx file?

If so then there are loads of routes to download at http://www.justgoride.co.uk

APF

Rik
    Free Member

Hollinsclough is just south of Buxton – which is about as rocky and hard as the White peak gets.

No I was definitely right the first time thanks.

benman
    Free Member

I love sweeping generalisations like…

Not really singletrack in the peaks

and

the best riding is in the dark peak and there is more of it.

I ride in the peak district all year round, and probably ride the hope/derwent valley area only a handful of times per year. Miles of singletrack and technical trails in other areas of the peak if you don’t mind exploring.

tracknicko
    Free Member

as above. get exploring. i tend to avoid the ‘classic’ routes as personally i like trees, roots technical sections and CORNERS!

plenty of everthing to be found if you get out and about though!

BadlyWiredDog

Did the “buxton circuit” today.

I would agree with you, it is a plesent ride, but not one to rush back to regulary, many once or twice a year.

It’s a nice all-weather route, but not overly dramatic, however there’s some outstanding singletrack and techy stuff in the Goyt Valley that’s ‘not entirely legal’, but will be soggy as hell at the moment.

Shorty121
    Free Member

Wheres the singletrack in the peaks?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

you are taking the piss right?

Shorty121
    Free Member

Nope. All my riding seems to be big wide bridleways apart from chatsworth tell me where

GavinB

Wheres the singletrack in the peaks?

Well, there is a complete absence around Wharncliffe, Grenoside, Stanage Moor, Blacka Moor, Rivelin Valley, Bradwell Edge, Calver, Goyt Valley to name but a few places.

I tell you, I’ve looked and looked and there is nothing there at all.

Sure, there are miles and miles of wide, stony tracks, some of them going back to Roman times, but that’s what I love about the place – character.

benman
    Free Member

Well, there is a complete absence around Wharncliffe, Grenoside, Stanage Moor, Blacka Moor, Rivelin Valley, Bradwell Edge, Calver, Goyt Valley to name but a few places

Shhhh…. let everyone continue to believe that the extent of the Peak District riding begins and ends in the Hope/Derwent Valleys. Leave the rest of it nice and quiet! 🙂

GavinB

Whoops, sorry. 😳

Yup, ignore that comment above. Just keep rolling up to Hope and Ladybower, and take it from there.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Peak District Advice’ is closed to new replies.