Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Peak District
  • on_the_rivet
    Free Member

I’m thinking of taking the family to the Peak District for a cycling holiday in July but I don’t know the area at all. The kids are 8 and 10 and both capable of cycling a decent distance. I’m looking for canal paths, quiet lanes, etc rather than full on mountain biking, although hilly terrain isn’t a problem. As the Peak district covers quite a large area I’m not sure where offers the best options for cycling, sightseeing, nice countryside, etc.
    We’d be looking to rent a cottage somewhere and use it as a base rather than touring. Can anyone recommend which areas might be best to base ourselves?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Ashbourne heights camp site

BadlyWiredDog

Have a look at the Pedal Peak District web site – http://www.pedalpeakdistrict.co.uk/home – for some basic info, but I’d probably be looking at the White Peak, Ashbourne area maybe, for family-friendly stuff, access to disused rail line trails (Monsal Trail, Tissington Trail etc). The northern, Dark Peak, end of things is generally bleaker and gnarlier, White Peak tends to be greener and more rolling, but you can easily drive up to the Dark Peak in 30 minutes or so.

If you’re thinking about easy mountain bike routes, both the guides published by Vertebrate are excellent btw. One for the Dark Peak, one for the White, but there’s overlapping stuff in both too.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    on_the_rivet
    Free Member

Thanks guys. BWD that pedal peak website has some great info.

BadlyWiredDog

No worries, if your kids are youngish the re-opened tunnels on the Monsal Trail are brilliant, feels like a proper adventure with the dim lighting and soot stained walls.

danti

There’s also the Manifold valley and Thors cave not too far from Ashbourne

IHN

Although…. a bit further North you have the Peak Forest and Macclesfield canals, Middlewood way, Sett Valley trail etc.

FOG

I can always get my reluctant pedalling missus out if I promise the Manifold valley as there are several really nice cafes on the route especially at Wetton mill where the kids can feed the ducks

joemarshall
    Free Member

The railway trails are brilliant, all of them, although beware the climb at the start of the high peak trail in Cromford – with little kids, better to start at Middleton Top.

I’ve only cycled the Cromford Canal, and I would say that whilst it is nice in winter, even on a summer weekday it is a right pain to cycle on for the number of walkers on the narrow path – if you plan any canal cycling, make sure you all have bells.

I thought Ashbourne, Tissington, that way too, is very nice round there and less busy, or Bakewell / Baslow area where you have hills and rivers, Monsal Trail, Chatsworth farm / adventure playground etc.

If you happen to be in Matlock at any point, go to Matlock Meadows Ice Cream Parlour – short drive up the hill behind sainsbury’s (or bike, but it is a blooming steep road hill for kids), bit out of the way, but great ice cream plus farm animals to see (they also do bacon sandwiches, toasties, coffee etc.). Brilliant place and quieter than it should be.

Pieface

Mainfold, tisington and limestone way will each give you up to a days easy cycling along disused railways, some with cafes either en route or at either end. There’s also easy routes round ladybower if you fancy a change of scenery or you fancy exploring the rougher stuff.

Main problem(?) with the dark peak is there isn’t much in the way of intermediate riding. Most of the bridleways aren’t manic, but you need to be a competent rider to have a good day out.

amodicumofgnar

Time for the obligatory v-graphics plug:
    http://www.v-outdoor.co.uk/products/cycling/cycling-in-the-peak-district—off-road-trails-and-quiet-lanes.php

High Peak / Tissington Trail area. There are an assortment of linking routes you can do between them. Peak park do a good leaflet covering the area.

Ladybower / Derwent Valley – long bridleway round the reservoirs from fairholmes.

Macclesfield Area / Marple Area – Middlewood way and the canal make a good circuit. You can also ride up to Lyme Park from the back road from Poynton to Pott Shrigley / Bollington. The road is quite quiet and views are good.

Hayfield / New Mills / Whalley Bridge / Chinley – reasonable circuit using Sett Valley Trail / Tramway Trail / Canal and minor roads to link through. Downside is big climb out the back of Chinley to Peep o Day and then short busy road stretch. Plus town centre riding in New Mills to get to Canal.

Upper Goyt – Rail Trail / Forest Road circuit round Fernilee Res. The road running up the valley past Erwood to Derbyshire Bridge is traffic free on Sundays.

Leek / Rudyard / Rushton Spencer – one of the lesser known rail trails, pretty though.

Carrsington Water – cycleway round the reservoir.

danrandon
    Free Member

good place as a base and it has a sauna for post ride chill outs

Barn Farm

just midway between matlock and bakewell so good links for tissington, carsington, high peak etc

on_the_rivet
    Free Member

Looks like white peak it is then. Some of those routes look just what I was after. Thanks

joemarshall
    Free Member

High Peak / Tissington Trail area. There are an assortment of linking routes you can do between them. Peak park do a good leaflet covering the area.

Although be aware that there is a national cycle route that links between the Tissington and High Peak Trails, about 2.5 miles south of where they meet up. You might look at this on a map, and think, national cycle route, how bad can it be, and go down it whilst towing a child trailer on a bike with 23mm road tyres, only to find out that how bad it can be is covered in extremely large loose rocks for about half a mile, up and down hills and a whole lot harder than just biking the extra but completely flat 3 miles that the ‘shortcut’ saved. I should have looked more carefully at the map that day.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Peak District’ is closed to new replies.