Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Peaceful Protesters again…
  • ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Well duckman from Tooting Bec to Tooting Broadway nothing much has changed imo, it hasn’t gone up market or become gentrified. But the Wandsworth Common end of Tooting certainly has, it’s all part of that South London gentrification.

“Between the Commons” I believe is the selling point which the estate agents push. In this case between the commons means properties around Wandsworth Common, Tooting Bec Common, and Clapham Common, all highly desirable.

I remember a time during the early gentrification of South London when Battersea was referred to, amusingly and quite inaccurately, as “South Chelsea”, even though it wasn’t even on the same side of the river ffs. But I think Battersea is now considered posh enough to be called by it’s correct name.

thepurist

Odd that the claimed point of this (ie. locals being priced out of housing) is going on in many rural communities but the locals there don’t seem to be attacking the local police station over it.

ninfan
    Free Member

That’s because the rural police stations have all been closed down and sold off for housing 😀

Pigface
    Free Member

Because all the local Police stations have been closed and sold off.

jambalaya
    Free Member

But I think Battersea is now considered posh enough to be called by it’s correct name.

Indeed it is.
    I grew up in Tooting, certainly wasn’t gentrified and is still quite run down. Balham much more so now, my grandparents and parents used to live there. A 5 bedroom house cost £1,500 in 1960’s but that was when people where earning £300-400 pa and getting a mortgage was very difficult.

hora
    Free Member

Lots of people are profiting from London prices.

The people who sold the houses in the first place and everyone since.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Balham much more so now, my grandparents and parents used to live there. A 5 bedroom house cost £1,500 in 1960’s

I don’t believe that. Not for a large 5 bedroom town house, more like £7-10k.

hora
    Free Member

I remember Brixton as a being alittle scary and a shithole. Those ‘Reclaim’ folk- why cover/mask your face if its peaceful and why were businesses damaged and people terrorised?

Instead of spending their daytime attacking businesses why not search for a vocation? 😀

duckman

I lived across from Amen Corner in Tooting,drank in the pub across from the overland station. Wandsworth bitter…Drove me to the Guinness. Just streetviewed it and the only thing that is still there that I recognise is the Samaraj Indian food place and the cafe on Amen corner. Some git has even painted my old front door.Even the mental Irish pub where patrons were invited to stand for the singing of the soldier’s song looks like it has gone up market. Still plenty 99p stores and empty units though,so hasn’t changed totally.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I drive through Amen Corner sometimes and I wouldn’t say that it’s changed much.

Some git has even painted my old front door.

Hey it’s amazing what happens over 25 years.

Talking of ‘mental Irish pub’ did you ever at drink Guinness in the Irish club in St Boniface church ? There’s not much of an Irish community in South London these days, only second generation, most have gone back home or died 🙁

duckman

Hell yes,I was sent on agency work to Neasden hospital in the early 90’s when I first went down. I got on well with them and they were all connected and pretty much kept me in work for the next 7 years. Some of the places they knew you could get a drink in were just amazing. And churches with their own bars;whats that about? I was at a wedding reception in Bonys once, and was no stranger to the crap snooker table either.Thats actually a lie,I was no stranger to the signing in to the snooker-so-I-could-drink.I’m rubbish at snooker or pool.

kilo

I thought all the pubs in Tooting used to finish the night with The Soldiers Song. I have also drunk in St. Boniface’s bit like being in an old biddies pub iirc

duckman

£1.40 a pint…Used to end up there when I really didn’t need any more drink,cheap or not. Ah Tooting/London…Great to live in my early 20’s, almost as good to visit in my late 40’s.

edlong
    Free Member

If you saw how much Brixton has changed in terms of house prices over the last 10 years you’d understand why the locals are angry. The prices are through the roof – £500k+ for a 2-bed flat but if you take a walk round the residential streets it’s still tatty, still not a wealthy area, just extortionate prices.

I get this, and the subsequent posts arguing about the details. What I can’t find anywhere is an explanation as to how anyone thinks that the way to address it is by attacking a police station? You can blame plod for a lot of things but I’m struggling to contrive a way to hold them responsible for property prices?

brooess
    Free Member

What else do you do? – when government policy from both Labour and Tories for the last 15+ years has priced you out of the community you live in… it’s not rational or thought through – just anger and frustration about not being able to do anything about your community being wrecked.

FWIW my landlord lives in Brixton, has a house worth far more than when he bought it, and is also a good friend of mine. He’s selling my flat (not Brixton but still SE London) and he won’t use Foxtons… ‘they overprice’ was his comment – ie: they do a lot of damage to the community by pricing out the people born and bred in the area…

ninfan
    Free Member

it’s not rational or thought through – just anger and frustration about not being able to do anything about your community being wrecked.

It’s also possible that those trying to storm the police station were not frustrated locals but the usual suspect ‘class war Warriors’ that seem to turn up at all sorts of protests intent on violence against the police.

edlong
    Free Member

he won’t use Foxtons… ‘they overprice’ was his comment – ie: they do a lot of damage to the community by pricing out the people born and bred in the area…

Unless Foxtons are actually buying properties themselves then that’s cobblers, isn’t it? The market price of a property is what someone is willing to pay for it.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

ninfan – Member

It’s also possible that those trying to storm the police station were not frustrated locals but the usual suspect ‘class war Warriors’ that seem to turn up at all sorts of protests intent on violence against the police.

You don’t think local people are frustrated, angry or that bothered, or would do such a thing, why? What is it about people in Brixton that makes them take a placid attitude to the police and those in authority?

The truth Z-11 is that usual right-wing suspects like yourself always want to dismiss the grievances that people have by suggesting that those who protest don’t actually have any grievances, and that those are are suppose to have are perfectly happy.

It’s a very old and very predictable right-wing ploy.

edlong – Member

I get this, and the subsequent posts arguing about the details. What I can’t find anywhere is an explanation as to how anyone thinks that the way to address it is by attacking a police station? You can blame plod for a lot of things but I’m struggling to contrive a way to hold them responsible for property prices?

Any violence is bad (although no one knows the details beyond what appears to be happening in a posted clip) and no one should condone it. Obviously.

But that said do you honestly think that anyone would be discussing the serious issues confronting the residents of Brixton if no one had drawn attention to it by breaking a few windows ?

Do you honestly think that Z-11 would have posted a thread about the housing situation and unaffordable property prices for ordinary people in Brixton had a totally peaceful protest occurred, the bleeding heart that he is ?

A few more people are aware of the anger, frustration, and genuine grievances, which residents of Brixton feel, and how the situation affects businesses such as Brixton Cycles, including yourself who now “gets it”, because some windows were smashed and there was a bit of a ruck with the old bill.

I agree that violence and lawless should not be the vehicle for change but along with the condemnations there should be suggestions to how the voices of ordinary people can be heard.

Earlier in the thread konabunny made the comment “Brixton police station well-known as a haven of the moderate and reluctant use of force”. I was going to respond but decided in the end not to. Because what konabunny said wasn’t entirely true.

Yes the Met and in particular Brixton Division have a history of very poor community policing, heavy handedness, discrimination, and darn right brutality, but that history is based on the situation over 30 years ago. The Brixton Riots and the subsequent Scarman report, which to her credit Thatcher instigated, changed that. And changed it very significantly.

The sad truth that what had been happening in Brixon for many many years in terms of policing did not change until the Brixton Riots occurred.

And worthwhile projects such as Brixton Cycles were also a response to those riots.

Change should always come through peaceful means but sometimes when those with authority and power are deaf to genuine grievances or refuse to take them seriously or respond in a meaningful way, people are given very few alternatives other than to take things up a notch or two.

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Peaceful Protesters again…’ is closed to new replies.