Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)
  • PDNPA & PeakDistrictMTB
  • BadlyWiredDog

Was chatting to a guy at work yesterday (he lives & rides in the Peak)as he’s just bought a new mountain bike. He didn’t know that he was supposed to stick to BWs, on his old bike he just rode everywhere and still sees no problem in doing that.

I think it would be wise if PDNP etc learned that there are cyclists and then there are cyclists.

Thepodge – our first agenda item at the meeting is to educate them on that exact point using some short video clips of MTB in the Peak

So are you saying that there are cyclists who give us all a bad name, but you are representing good, responsible cyclists who only ride on bridleways?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

We are aiming to show them the difference between family cycling and mtb – tahts all. Are you always so pedantic

johnhorscroft
    Free Member

Re BadlyWiredDog’s comment Rob, this is Singletrack we’re on!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    BadlyWiredDog

We are aiming to show them the difference between family cycling and mtb – tahts all. Are you always so pedantic

I genuinely wasn’t sure what you meant. I don’t think that’s pedantic, maybe a bit thick. You hadn’t mentioned ‘family cycling’ at all and I hadn’t realised that was the distinction you were making. I’m still not quite sure what you’re saying. Oh, and I’m not trying to pick a fight or anything, I was just wondering what you meant.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Thanks John for your support and kind words, we will only succeed by doing two things – pushing at open doors and working collaboratively with all parties who have a shared interest.

Working with Ride Sheffield and building upon their successful approach on the Eastern Moors wouldn’t it be great to have more trails opened up as bridleways and hanging bridleways linked together?

Let’s not lose sight of the big picture and what can be achieved.

thepodge
    Free Member

My point I guess was there are cyclists that stick to the rules, cyclists that don’t know the rules and cyclists who don’t care, then you have family cyclists (Monsal trail etc), you have leisure cyclists who are more adventurous and people who think they are gnarr.

While I’m no horsist, I suspect their spectrum isn’t quiet so wide and so are probably easier to deal with

Showing them which bunch of cyclists you represent is probably a wise move

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Signed up as a supporter.

Cheers for all the hard work

MadPierre

rogerthecat: your initial post now re-produced on my web site and Facebook page. The site gets a lot of hits from folk looking for Peak District routes so will hopefully get you plenty more supporters?

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Huge thanks to everyone who has signed up, liked and followed – we have crossed the 200 supporter mark on the website, 200+ likes on Facebook and 200+ Twitter followers and the numbers are increasing, the more the better.

😀

simonbowns
    Free Member

Roger, could you please send me an email at the shop – I’m keen to be involved/link this with what Ride Sheffield are doing.

info@18bikes.co.uk

portlyone

Wider Peak District Cycle Strategy Consultation

http://www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/about-us/have-your-say/consultations/wider-peak-district-cycle-strategy-consultation

Maybe us outsiders can now have a say? 🙂

thepodge
    Free Member

I got sent a link to a very leading / biased survey about trail maintenance the other day. I thought it was from you lot as it kept going on about the Peak District. Thankfully it was someone else

SimonR

@portlyone – thanks for posting that link to the peak cycle consulation documents – that’s the first I’ve seen on it despite subscribing to various facebook and twitter pages.

It all seems very focused on sustaninable transport links, getting people out-and-about, generating revenue. This is all Good Stuff although I can’t see much in there at the moment for ‘real mountain bikers’.

There are a couple of references to ‘Enhancing the distinctive Peak District mountain biking offer’ but there’s no lead or funding identified for these.

Be very interesting to see how they’re incorporating all the good work underway through Peak District MTB and Ride Sheffield …

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It all seems very focused on sustaninable transport links, getting people out-and-about, generating revenue. This is all Good Stuff although I can’t see much in there at the moment for ‘real mountain bikers’.

Maybe I’m being cynical, but with the encroachment of Trail Center style trails on the Peak District (Lee and Crag to the west, Warncliffe, Greno, Lady Cannings, and that one by the ski lift I can’t remember the name of to the east), maybe it’s a deliberate ploy to coral mountain bikes into other areas whilst re-surfacing the Peak trails making them unatractive?

BadlyWiredDog

Maybe I’m being cynical, but with the encroachment of Trail Center style trails on the Peak District (Lee and Crag to the west, Warncliffe, Greno, Lady Cannings, and that one by the ski lift I can’t remember the name of to the east), maybe it’s a deliberate ploy to coral mountain bikes into other areas whilst re-surfacing the Peak trails making them unatractive?

I think the word you’re looking for is actually not ‘cynical’ but ‘paranoid’… 😉

portlyone

It looks like a fine plan to me, but with all things like this it’s the doing bit that’s critical.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

@thepodge – if it’s the one I think it is, the intention, as I understand it, is to gather some economic impact data – ie, what are mountain bikers worth to the Peak District. At the very least it’s a start.

Execution of parts of the plan are already underway, it would seem that consultation can be done pre, during or post the event.

Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘PDNPA & PeakDistrictMTB’ is closed to new replies.