Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • P****d of with people from the classifieds
  • foxman
    Free Member

What am i doing wrong on the classifides ? on three occasions recently (the last being this weekend)saturday morning i asked questions about an item for sale , i have then said i will have the item(posted on the forum advert ), i then recieve an email giving me details who to pay , and because i dont pay immediately ( its the weekend , im not sat at the computer 24/7 , i have a family / things to do).
    paid by paypal gift sunday morning .
    this morning i get a paypal refund with a note saying sold to someone else due to taking too long , WTF

Sorry for moaning

althepal

Someone says they’re gonna buy something I’m happy waiting a day or two..
    Bit off if you’ve said you’d buy it and they then sell it to someone else after an hour or two though.
    I’m assuming you told the seller you’d be paying within a day or two btw?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Given the things that have been said about the classifieds recently, count your blessings that you got a refund.

thedon
    Free Member

What am i doing wrong on the classifides ?

Taking to long to pay?

Why not tell them you are not on the computer 24/7 and that if they accept your offer, you might not be on here to pay immediately, but you will pay as soon as you can.

It could be worse, they could have kept your money.

float
    Free Member

you read the email describing how to pay. why didnt you send the money after you read the email?

seavers
    Free Member

I would gladly wait a couple of days if someone says they will pay in a day or two or next time they can get online. If you say you want the item and have been told how to pay it’s best to do so right away while you are sat at the comp. Or at least give the seller a heads up. They could well have other offers or even get better offers! It’s really in your interest to do so.

thedon
    Free Member

you read the email describing how to pay. why didnt you send the money after you read the email?

Good point.

Merak

I have to agree with this. You see something you want to buy, you post of your intent to buy then don’t pay for it. If I want something then, provided I’ve been supplied with the payment details, I’ll pay for it there and then.

Your own fault for not paying promptly.

guitarhero
    Free Member

Read email, open new tab, pay by paypal. Job done, no sitting at computer 24/7 required.
    Poor rant

Mr_C
    Free Member

Where does it say he read it. He says he received it and I assume didn’t open it to read it until Sunday when he was next at his computer.

batfink
    Free Member

Put yourself in the sellers shoes…. you said you wanted it, then disappeared off the radar without paying. In the meantime he’s had an enquiry from somebody else.

Bottom line is, you haven’t “secured” the item until you’ve paid for it.

Merak

He posted on the for sale post, could have paid then.

Scamper
    Free Member

The OP hardly went off the radar. There could have been a reason why he could not paid there and then – perhaps he was already running late for something? Call me old fashioned, but had the seller not agreed to the sale?

Jim_Kirk
    Free Member

by the Op sayinh he’ll take the item at the price mentioned a contract has been formed so the buyer could in theory sue the seller for breach of contract. My contract law is a bit rusty though.

rs
    Free Member

contract law!!!! its used bike parts or whatever! first to pay gets it in my book.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

as rs says or upon replying saying you will take it say “I can’t pay until Sunday” then seller knows and if sell then yesca bit harsh otherwise I suggest it is a bit tough in this day and age of smart phones etc.

Grimy
    Free Member

This: –

He posted on the for sale post, could have paid then.

If for any reason he couldnt use the easiest payment method in the world right away, then you should have mentioned to the seller the slight delay. Sellers can be messed about a lot with tyre kickers and perverts, so its first come, and pay promptly or sod off in my book.

Frankers
    Free Member

Until you’ve paid it ain’t yours and the seller can decide to sell to first payer

Serves you right for not paying immediately in my book

shredder
    Free Member

Hi
    Right back at you foxman
    I post my add and respond to you via email with pictures.
    I wait ………..nothing
    I re-post the add again you respond again so I go back to you again. Once again…… nothing ? I then get another seller ready to go what do I do pop round and serve it to you with a brew and cake ?
    Did my very best to sell it to you via the forum and private email am I wrong ?
    Edit I too have a family and dont sit at the PC but as said if you had said busy at mo will pay Sunday night etc then it would have been yours

soobalias
    Free Member

the SS wheel i recently advertised, got three interests, the first pissed about for about a week, i then went back to bloke 2, as promised, who didnt respond for ages…. i couldnt be arsed to trawl through the now weeks old correspondance (on thread and via email) so the damn thing is still sat in the shed.

first come first served, at the prices i ask its going quickly and you cant/shouldnt blame me for dealing with the first payer..

you want it, prove it

mlucas666
    Free Member

I’ve had a few people now say that they want to buy something, I provide payment details only to receive….nothing.

Wait a couple of days, still hear nothing, go chasing it up only get a response of ‘sorry changed my mind’ (or no response at all).

Until payment is received, it ain’t sold.

grantway
    Free Member

Too slow basically
    But dont take it too hard
    has there are a lot of time wasters on here so be quick

scaredypants

I failed to sell a road bike recently by waiting for a guy who’d pretty much agreed to meet up to collect it and then vanished.

Who knows if the buyer I offered to wait a few days would have done the same, but it feels likel a lost sale to me (he bought another bike in the meantime AFAIK).

flipiddy
    Free Member

PayPal do a phone app. Pay on the go?

hmanchester
    Free Member

For me money speaks, especially on the classifieds where there can be a bit of messing around with commitment to buy.

It falls on both sides though. The seller should say something along the lines of “yes I accept that offer, but the item will remain openly for sale until I receive the funds”

The buyer should accept this is the case, and if they have the ability to read the classified forum on their phone/tablet/computer then they should have the ability to pay immediately to avoid disappointment.

If sellers accept offers without immediate payment, and buyers delay payment after agreeing to buy then there’s going to be a few times when it goes wrong. People have different timescale expectations, just get it done straightaway in my opinion.

toys19
    Free Member

I’ve had this, where a buyer said he wanted it, I sent him payment details and he just vaporised, meanwhile another bloke was interested and turned up on my doorstep with cash. I had no way of knowing if the other bloke would ever pay, so i took the cash. First bloke bad mouthed me on here.

From now on precis all your sales with, “first to pay will be the buyer”. Then everyone knows where they stand.

konabunny
    Free Member

contract law!!!! its used bike parts or whatever! first to pay gets it in my book.

Well said.

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Not sure bout late payment but complete timewasting hillbilly,s do.
    They fail to recognise by registering fake interest, they are wasting valuable troll typing time.
    YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Family is more important OP than classifieds!

If someone offers cash in this climate then they should have emailed you what was happening.

Also you should have told them you’d pay in a x time/day.

Both of you fail through bad communication and taught the rest of us a useful lesson!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

taught the rest of us a useful lesson!

Indeed. And that is that the classifieds are full of ads from people I’d hate to have to do business with.

FuzzyWuzzy

Aye no sympathy here, if you want it then pay for it there and then. why should sellers risk losing out on a sale because someone posted they’d buy it but didn’t send the money, you might not be a time-waster but I’m sure quite a few are and the seller isn’t psychic

orange
    Free Member

good communication is the key

<end of thread>

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

^ agreed!

DCW
    Free Member

I think both of you should just put it down to a bit of miscommunication, shake on it and move on!

tomtomthepipersson
    Free Member

I had something similar – I said I’d take an item if it was still available. Seller sent me payment details and the following day I went online to pay – only to see a message saying ‘yadda yadda… it’s been 24 hours so it’s back up for sale’.

Pardon me for having a job, a family, a commute, bikes to ride, and a shit load of other stuff that takes up the majority of my time. If you’re so achingly impatient that you need paying in 10 minutes just say so in the ad.

grum
    Free Member

I think I’d give someone a day to pay before selling to someone else but it’s not crime of the century to do so either. It can be a pain selling stuff and if someone is there ready to pay it’s hard to turn them away on a promise that may never materialise.

craigxxl
    Free Member

If someone told they were going to pay the next day I would hold the goods for them. If they didn’t, then I’m not a mind reader and would assume just another time waster.
    As said before good communications is what creates a smooth transaction.

batfink
    Free Member

Pardon me for having a job, a family, a commute, bikes to ride, and a shit load of other stuff that takes up the majority of my time.

how amazingly patronising.

Ultimately, it’s you that missed out – maybe you should revise your expectations of the buying process (based on the previous page of comments re: buyers “evaporating”) in future.

Cougar

If you’re busy, fair enough. But if you’ve got time to type “I’ll buy this” then you’ve got time to type “I’ll buy this but I’ll be busy for the next couple of days.”

You can’t really expect someone to turn away a payment for a genuine sale purely on the say-so of some random stranger on the Internet who’s said they’ll buy and then disappeared for days, can you?

steel4real
    Free Member

Totally agree with Cougar.
    If you can type an email you can transfer funds from PayPal.
    My experience is that potential buyers who advise I’ll take it but don’t pay promptly without explanation generally aren’t going to pay.

BUT

I always treat each enquiry in order, allow 24 hours for payment, and advise people if there is someone pending a payment. It’s a 2 way street, I want to sell and there is usually someone willing to buy but it doesn’t always happen quickly so it pays to try & be fair to all but the most aggressive 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘P****d of with people from the classifieds’ is closed to new replies.