Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • PC sound problem
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

I’m not expecting much but hoping someone can help.

Just upgraded my PC from XP to Windows 7 – installed a shed load of memory (12gb) and seems to run really fast now.

The only issue is when playing music the sound cuts out occasionally for a second. I’ve checked resources and all running well (CPU average about 50% / max 80% and Memory running with loads of resources free at about 35% most of the time). This occurs when not doing anything else with the PC although not as much as when I’m browsing the net.

I’ve reinstalled the drivers and still no luck.

I’m using the on board sound card and I’m wondering if this might be the issue.

Any thoughts before I spend a wad load on a new sound card?

Cougar

What’s the music source? How are you playing it back?

Does it do the same with video? If so, does the image stall also?

shindiggy
    Free Member

Have you installed all the chipset/motherboard drivers after installing win 7?

Duffer
    Free Member

I suspect Shindiggy has the correct answer.

I forget every time.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Ok. Will check

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Chipset is reinstalled along with all the other drivers.

Tried it running a video and other apps and there was two drops but the video carried on without a hitch.

Audio was running an MP3 on Media Monkey and also using Traktor Pro to mix tunes. Additionally I’ve had the issue browsing for records on the internet on places like Beatport.com

dmorts

Definitely the latest version of the soundcard/chipset driver?

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Yeah, got it earlier.

Cougar

Might be worth deleting the card from DevMan and rebooting, let Windows work out what’s best.

Any (!)s anywhere else in DevMan?

Cougar

Audio was running an MP3 on Media Monkey and also using Traktor Pro to mix tunes. Additionally I’ve had the issue browsing for records on the internet on places like Beatport.com

What it you’re just playing something simple like local mp3s on Media Player or VLC or something?

shindiggy
    Free Member

Just checking you did install 64bit windows.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Yep -64bit.

A mate has just mentioned it might be the fact I’m running 2 antivirus programs (AVG and Avast).

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Damn – done most of what has been mentioned. Checked for malware, uninstalled one of the Anitvirus. Tried music on just media player. Did it on a clean boot (ie no other programs running), not other issues in devman…

Still occurring… 🙁

dmorts

Whenever I’ve had an issue like this it has been driver and/or firmware related

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

The last time I had this a BIOS/firmware update fixed it.

I’ve also had odd problems in the past where the soundcard thought I had headphones plugged in, instead of powered speakers. Once it knew what it was outputting too all weirdness stopped.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Are the speakers plugged in directly to the line out on the sound card or over bluetooth, or…?

Also: are they powered speakers?

Cougar

A mate has just mentioned it might be the fact I’m running 2 antivirus programs (AVG and Avast).

Whether or not he’s correct, and he might well be, that’s a really really bad idea. Uninstall one as a priority (ideally, uninstall both and use MSE / Defender).

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Speakers are a Denon mini system – so powered.

Done a few things today:

– Changed antivirus from AVG to Avast (after getting rid of Avast initially) as AVG was hogging resources.

– Saw a more recent BIOS update which I’ve updated

– Swapped the page file to a different HDD

– Installed loads of Win7 updates (optional and important)

Something has worked as now been playing music for 90mins with no cut outs (touch wood)

Cougar

Getting rid of AVG is probably what did it.

I used to really rate AVG but it got progressively more annoying with each revision so I eventually binned it off myself. After a brief dalliance with Kaspersky I installed MSE and never looked back.

Regardless, two AVs will fight tooth and nail as what companies they’re made by.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘PC sound problem’ is closed to new replies.