Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 193 total)
  • PC Simon Harwood found not guilty
  • xcgb
    Free Member

PC Simon Harwood found not guilty of manslaughter of Ian Tomlinson at G20 protest

Blimey

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2175957/G20-death-trial-PC-Simon-Harwood-guilty-manslaughter-Ian-Tomlinson.html#ixzz214sSwEZY

Pook

Yup. Wow.

“i was wrong”. No you weren’t.

IHN

Good.

scuzz
    Free Member

A non Daily Mail link for online activists who wish to deny them the advertising revenue:
    BBC

tails
    Free Member

If that had been a pedestrian and not a cop, he’d be in prison now.

organdonor
    Free Member

Reasonable force?

In what way?

Given that

During the trial, the police officer accepted he was “wrong” to have hit and pushed Mr Tomlinson.

He said that, had he realised at the time that Mr Tomlinson was walking away from police lines, he “would not have gone near him”.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Good.

Yup. Let it be a warning to all those who think they can walk around with their hands in their pockets minding their own business – you won’t get away with it. And death is an acceptable punishment.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Well he’s been cleared by a jury so what’s the problem?

donsimon
    Free Member

Well he’s been cleared by a jury so what’s the problem?

If only it were that simple.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Dunno why, but there’s something about his face that would make me find him guilty if I were on a Jury.

kimbers

theres a big surprise

its not like the police have a history of murdering innocent people and then being let off or anything…..

imagine if hed done something really bad like stolen a bottle of water

irc

its not like the police have a history of murdering innocent people and then being let off or anything…..

Can’t recall a single instance of a serving cop being convicted of murder. Remind me?

Doctors though. That Harold Shipman killed a few of his patients so I reckon doctors are all killers.

xcgb
    Free Member

Jury weren’t told about this

PC Simon Harwood has a disciplinary record littered with complaints of aggressive behaviour and misconduct and once admitted being sent into “red mist mode”, it can be disclosed today.

SamCooke
    Free Member

Can’t recall a single instance of a serving cop being convicted of murder. Remind me?

ermmm… er… that’s the point

organdonor
    Free Member

Bloody hell.

This.

irc

The point being they are innocent.

IHN

If only there was some way of assessing the applicable evidence by a number of independent observers and reaching a conclusion as to whether or not he was guilty of the crime with which he’d been charged.

We could call the process a ‘trial’, and those observers a ‘jury’.

DezB
    Free Member

Yup. Let it be a warning to all those who think they can walk around with their hands in their pockets minding their own business – you won’t get away with it

Thanks, I’ll be sure to keep away from police lines during any protests in the future.

woody74

Seems fair. Don’t most sensible people know that if there is a riot going on you get out of the area ASAP and probably do what the police ask you to do. I would say just an accident and a bad situation for all involved

MrWoppit
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member

Good.

Yup. Let it be a warning to all those who think they can walk around with their hands in their pockets minding their own business – you won’t get away with it. And death is an acceptable punishment.

Well said.

SamCooke
    Free Member

The point being they are innocent.
    No, the point being that they were not convicted.

Blair Peach? fatally assaulted by a police officer. We know that, yet none were convicted of his murder. Does that mean they were all innocent?

andymc06
    Free Member

Agree with Woody74.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I’ll be sure to keep away from police lines during any protests in the future.

A much safer bet would be not to protest at all – stay at home and watch the telly instead.

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

Well this is clearly an outrage.

I think we should take a leaf out of the EU’s book and try and re-try him until we get the result that we wanted in the first place based on whatever prejudice we happened to have about the police.

wrecker
    Free Member

Don’t most sensible people know that if there is a riot going on you get out of the area ASAP and probably do what the police ask you to do.

They do, but unfortunately there are plenty of not “sensible” people around such as homeless alcoholics who don’t/can’t respond quickly to police orders.
    I cannot see how pushing a bloke on his face can be lawful.

scuzz
    Free Member

Don’t most sensible people know that if there is a riot going on you get out of the area ASAP and probably do what the police ask you to do

I decided not to bring an umbrella to work today, when most sensible people would have. Do I deserve to be pushed over by the police?

atlaz
    Free Member

You do have to wonder what he was still doing in uniform though. There’s enough of a pattern of behaviour there that I’m surprised Surrey Police picked him up after he left the Met.

IanMunro
    Free Member

PC Simon Harwood has a disciplinary record littered with complaints of aggressive behaviour and misconduct and once admitted being sent into “red mist mode”,

You see, I knew he looked like a wrong un!

However, three weeks after the charging decision was ratified, in August 2001, PC Harwood was retired on medical grounds because of ongoing problems arising from a 1998 car accident. A note was added to his record to say that he would not be disciplined.
    Three days later he was reemployed by the Met as a member of civilian staff.
    In April 2003, PC Harwood applied for a job with Surrey Police as an officer. Despite his record, he got the job and in January 2004 another complaint was made about alleged aggressive behaviour, this time by one of his own colleagues.

This sucks.

organdonor
    Free Member

I think we should take a leaf out of the EU’s book and try and re-try him until we get the result that we wanted in the first place based on whatever prejudice we happened to have about the police.

It’s not about prejudice though, is it? It’s about seeing an assault that led to a man’s death.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Don’t most sensible people know that if there is a riot going on you …….

It didn’t look like a “riot” to me.

No one seemed to be attacking the police. Or do you automatically describe any situation where the police attack demonstrators (and passerbyers) as a “riot” ?

Handy for the police that.

andymc06
    Free Member

The assault didn’t lead to his death. Hence the verdict!

DezB
    Free Member

There’s enough of a pattern of behaviour there that I’m surprised Surrey Police picked him up after he left the Met.

Yep, they should’ve asked a bunch of random mountain bikers for advice on their employment policy.

BoardinBob

Bloody hell.

Bloody hell indeed.

What do you actually have to do to get fired from the police? One of those incidents would be enough to get me fired from my job!

andymc06
    Free Member

Can’t have been a riot if it didn’t look like one to you? Ridiculous!

BermBandit
    Free Member

Don’t most sensible people know that if there is a riot going on you get out of the area ASAP and probably do what the police ask you to do

Fair point, except that I don’t think there was a riot going on and the guy in question was trying to leave the area.

However, the counter balance to that is that complaints against Police are a daily occurance in the job, and rather like Harwoods file appears to be, the vast majority are vexatious and either not pressed when the complainant sobers up/comes down whatever, or are simply un proven. If not employing an officer was on the basis of this sort of thing you will not have much of a Police force at all.

Overall, Harwood has gone through the mangle, he will in all probability lose his career over it, because the forces own investigation will have been suspended with the criminal case being brought. He may well have been heavy handed, but I don’t think years of self abuse with alcohol can be blamed on him. So at the end of the day if he gets the boot from the force but not done for manslaughter I would say thats about right.

Pigface
    Free Member

Shocking decision by the jury

The guy is a nut job

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Yep, they should’ve asked a bunch of random mountain bikers for advice on their employment policy.

Or to use the more commonly applied term……….”the public”.

You know, the people whom the police are there to serve, and who pay their wages of course.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Shocking decision by the jury

Wrong decision by jury shocker!

atlaz
    Free Member

First big may-day riots in the centre of London about 10 years back I walked around taking photos. When the police advised me to leave an area I did and I avoided big crowds too. My assumption was that if I was doing no harm and followed instructions nothing bad would happen to me. That was true for me but not for Ian Tomlinson

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 193 total)

The topic ‘PC Simon Harwood found not guilty’ is closed to new replies.