Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • PC like Macmini
  • tails
    Free Member

Hi people

I'm looking to get a small desktop to complement my macbook. The macbook is fine for autoCAD, sketchup, etc but I want the desktop to have a graphics card with its own memory for solidworks and other 3d modelling tools. Is there anything on the market or can it be built as I'm aware DABS sell parts seperatly.

pinches
    Free Member

alot of people build Mini ITC machines, i built one into a case made from lego once.

tails
    Free Member

Sorry pinches whts an ITC machine, my computer knowledge is "medium rare" is building a pc easy? I have fitted hard drives and RAM before.

tails
    Free Member

bump

pinches
    Free Member

sorry, that's actually a typo, they're called mini-itx machines. they're like a normal PC case but smaller, people put them into all sorts of old stuff like mega drive carcases and stuff.

http://www.mini-itx.com/

RichPenny
    Free Member

The new mac mini does have a graphics card with its own memory iirc. Mini ITX motherboard is much bigger than a mac mini, no?

tails
    Free Member

They look pretty good pinches, can they be bought or only made? As far as I know the macmini has shared graphics memory.

Could I fit a graphics card with its only memory to an existing mac mini, or does it not work like that?

midlifecrashes

Another (older) approach is the Shuttle PC and it's clones. You buy a barebones case, add your fave processor, drives, RAM and graphics card. Size limits your choice of card, and they usually have onboard graphics but have space for one or two extra boards in most versions.

See here on CCL computers' site

Shuttle PC page at CCL

Ewan
    Free Member

I have a shuttle, with a seperate graphics card. About 2 years old now, runs windows 7 fine, it's got a pentium D dual core, which is fairly prehistotric now, but it's fine for photo shop etc.

TBH i wouldn't buy a new one, i'd probably just buy a cheap dell or something, the shuttle cost 900 quid new, and whilst it's small and pretty, i could get something twice as powerful for 300 quid. Keep an eye out on hotukdeals.co.uk for a bargain.

rootes1

Acer revo – but not sure it would have the grunt for serious 3d work – neat little box… Better off just get normal pc and hiding out of the way

fisha
    Free Member

Dell Zino HD comes with the option of a discrete graphics card … is a bit like a PC Mac Mini …. looks pretty funky actually.

tails
    Free Member

thanks guys i'll have a look.

mboy
    Free Member

The new mac mini does have a graphics card with its own memory iirc

Nvidia 9400GT with 256MB of RAM to be precise. Hardly gonna set the world alight, but a damned sight better than just about anything else its size, or anything gone before it…

tails
    Free Member

Copied this from apple website

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory3

So unless they have even newer macmini, it still shares its memory.

IA

Why not sell the MB and get a MBP?

Do you find the above apps too slow on your current machine?

tails
    Free Member

Why not sell the MB and get a MBP?

Do you find the above apps too slow on your current machine?

I have recently bought a MBP basic version to replace the old white MB, only the 15" and 17" come with graphics card with separate memory and I can't really justify a 1.5-2k laptop.

I'm sure my basic MBP will be fine for autoCAD and sketchup, but using solidworks/rhino etc I am led to believe you want a graphics card with separate memory, perhaps I can get away with maxing the RAM?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘PC like Macmini’ is closed to new replies.