Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • PC HELPPPPPP!!!!!!
  • oldgrump08
    Free Member

Anybody with any suggestions on how to get my ‘local network adapter’ to work again?
    I downloaded microsoft security essentials which promptly disabled it, but not even uninstalling and restoring to an earlier backup doesn’t solve it.

Desperate of Northamptonshire

Cougar

In what way “doesn’t it work”? Symptoms?

With respect, are you sure the cable hasn’t come out? (check both ends)

oldgrump08
    Free Member

*deep breath*
    Symptoms – big red cross through the network icon, troubleshooting throws up ‘local network adapter’ not functioning.
    I’ve got bt broadband, they ran through some tests. Reversed and then swapped lan cable, no change. In the meantime wireless connection to same router still works. bt asked about any programme updates, they reckon microsoft programme is the problem, as do the manufacturers techy help.

anjs
    Free Member

try risntalling the latest driver

uplink
    Free Member

Laptop or desktop?

bigyinn
    Free Member

go into the device manager (windows key + pause / break, then go to Hardware tab then click on device manager)
    Click on the ‘+’ next to network adaptors, find something that has fast ethernet controller or similar (whichever one has a red cross against the icon or is greyed out) right click and select enable.

PJay
    Free Member

It’s possible that the Microsoft program left something, or perhaps a registry change, behind that’s screwing things up. My first course of action after the uninstall would be to use system restore to roll back to a point before the initial dodgy installaton. Hopefully that’ll sort things out.

– whoops, sorry I didn’t realise that you’d already tried that. If Bigyinn’s suggestion about re-enabling the adapter doesn’t work you could try uninstalling it from the device manager, Windows should reinstall it after the next restart.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

What OS? XP?

Cougar

What PJay said. Delete it from DevMan and reboot.

I’d be shocked if it’s anything to do with MSE.

oldgrump08
    Free Member

pjay/cougar – you beauties! Uninstalled, rebooted, using the PC now 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘PC HELPPPPPP!!!!!!’ is closed to new replies.