Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • PC help required – security and Microsoft updates – numpty level.
  • RustySpanner

Have an older laptop running XP Service Pack 2 which has only been used for photo-processing, gaming and word processing.

Am about to connect it to the net for the first time and have a couple of queries:

1. Security.
    I've installed AVG free, but this doesn't seem to include a separate firewall anymore, so the only firewall I have is the Windows one.
    Should I also install Zone Alarm and Spybot, in conjunction with the AVG free?
    Unsure what I really need so am open to any suggestions as to free alternatives.

2. Microsoft Updates.
    As I said, this laptop has never been connected to the web, so has never had any updates applied.
    Would like to get the thing updated but am a bit unsure about 'Genuine Advantage':
    Have a copy of Word which was supplied by an IT manager mate and might be bit dodgy. It's registered to his previous place of employment and I don't want to get him into trouble (he reckons it'll be fine though!).
    Can I get all the updates without the hassle of WGA?
    Can I even still get updates?

Will be using Firefox as it's what I'm used to, and Google for e-mail.
    Other that getting the latest Flash player, is there anything else I need to do?

Many thanks in advance.

druidh
    Free Member

If "Office Genuine Advantage" fails, that won't affect anything except Word and there is no info passed to Microsoft. However, you won't get updates to it and you should buy a copy (you know it's dodgy).

druidh
    Free Member

Oh – I use Microsoft Security Essential for AV and have no Firewall installed.

RustySpanner

druidh, is that a free program and is it available for XP?

druidh
    Free Member

MSE is free from Microsoft and I'm running it on XP and Vista

RustySpanner

Thanks druidh, will have a look at that!

Trekster

Can I ask for some advice to pls?

My laptop mobem(Intelpro)seems to be losing the signal/connection.

I have a Dlink external device but when I plugged it in laptop loaded it etc but does not seem to want to use it as a wifi unit, still trying to use Intelpro? When checking connections box says it is firwalled. does that mean laptop will not recognise it?

Cheers

druidh
    Free Member

Hmm – Windows hates hardware-supplied WiFi routines and will often crap-out when they conflict with its own..

If you can, un-install all WiFi drivers and any associated "manager" software. Install the D-Link drivers, but remember to tick the box (in Windows) that says something like "let Windows manage my wireless connections".

Trekster

Ok but will need some help from the kids for that 😯
    4yr old Dell inspiron laptop so suppose it failing now is no shame.
    I just assumed I could plug this thing in and hey presto 🙄

RustySpanner

Bump – anyone else?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Personally I never run a firewall behind my router as it has it's own firewall and locks down all ports but the ones I specify, and I'm careful what I download.

Set your windows update to download but don't install, then choose which updates to apply. IF it's never been online it might take a fair few updates to settle. You might want to set a restore point before this, so you can go back if it keels over.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

You would really benefit from SP3 too. Its won't automatically do that through win update.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘PC help required – security and Microsoft updates – numpty level.’ is closed to new replies.