Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • PC help please?
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

New IDE hard drive installed as a slave, jumper thing in the right place (there wasn’t a jumper thing on the hard drive removed?)

Device manager says the drive is there and working ok but I can’t see it in “my computer”, to format and then start filling it with crap.

any ideas?

Creg

Im very likely going to be wrong in this but I think you will need to create a partition on the drive in order to get it to work.

Use Fdisk under DOS to set an active partition on the drive and then format it through DOS.

At least that was the way I did it some years ago 😳

scaredypants

windows?

disc manager is what I’d try

spooky_b329

Doesn’t sound like this will be the cause of it not being visible, but for what its worth, most PC’s used the CS (cable select) jumper position now, I think this often involves the jumper being parked to one side, often sideways to the pins or removed completely.

scottyjohn
    Free Member

What Creg or SP say above

Cougar

Yep.

Unless it’s a very old PC, Cable Select is what you want. If the PC sees it though, I wouldn’t worry about it.

Right-click My Computer and go to Manage. Select Disk Management and you should see the new unpartititoned drive there. Right-click on it to create a partition. You should then be able you format it.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Yup Disc Manager in Administrative Tools. If its using a drive letter used by sommink else it will conflict – you may have to give it another diver letter which is not being used? Also have you formated the partition in disc manager?

Cougar

(don’t use DOS because… hell, far too many reasons and I CBA, just trust me and don’t use FDISK.)

Cougar

Just done this on my PC to refresh my memory (on a virtual disk). Couple more things,

You might need to initialise the disk first – option is on the right-click context menu – and (on Windows 7 at least) it refers to partitions as Volumes, I’d to “create a simple volume” to build the partition.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘PC help please?’ is closed to new replies.