Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • PC help – Fresh windows7 installation: will it die if I format this bit ?
  • scaredypants

Titting about with PC, wondering about a fresh installation of W7.
    My machine has 2 500gb discs in it, 1 of which has an old installation of W7 that I abandoned a while back (split a raid pair, so this is the old version of the system at that point)

Thinking I’ll format the drive, set up as a 50gb system bit and the rest for stuff and then transfer the data files over from previous disc (and repeat every now & then – in the meantimes I’ll use the spare as internal backup (have external one as well))

So, opened comp management and saw the screen as below (disc I’m planning to wipe is disc0 (ie G:\ but also F:\ and I don’t know what F is). QUestion is, might F:\ be critical to something ? (I’ve disconnected the disc & still starts with just the other in, but not sure that absolutely everything works without it). Wouldn’t worry, other than I wonder if disc0 might somehow be the more important one to my motherboard.

Do any of you clever people know what it might be and if it’d be safe to wipe ? (might it just be a vestige of the raid setup)?

(I will be doing a full external backup before I start)

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/23823661@N05/5059975291/]computer mgt oct 2010[/url] by scaredypants, on Flickr

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Why not create a new partition in spare space and then install in that.

Then search the other partitions and if you’re sure you don’t need them or copy the files over.

Then delete the other partitions and add the space to your new partition.

chvck
    Free Member

As far as I know windows 7 and vista create that System Reserved partition for something to do with installation. Not sure if you can delete it.

http://superuser.com/questions/74980/can-the-windows-7-system-reserved-partition-be-deleted-without-problems

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scaredypants

so, from chvck’s link, if it’s potentially crucial it may be bad that there’s not a copy on my “master” disc (ie disc1, C:\ and D:\) ?

implies maybe I should crack on with the new clean install onto a single disc ?? [edited a bit here]

Cougar

Hm. Well done, you’ve got me, I’ve not seen that before. Part of BitLocker?

I’d need to do some legwork to find out exactly what that is. One thing I’d say though – it’s 100Mb on a 500Gb disk; care more?

Let me get back to you on this, I’ll do some proper digging when I’m not playing Lara Croft.

chvck
    Free Member

Just checked my disk management, it appears that I killed that 100mb partition on my machine and it’s still working for me. Not saying that it won’t break yours but mine appears to be fine.

scaredypants

cougar – I don’t care about the space at all but had planned to format the whole thing & a bit orried that my winduz would then fail to run from the other drive (immaterial really, since I’m going to reinstall on the disc with the 100mg thing, so w7 can recreate if it wants)

In fact, bugger it – I’m going in (when backup has run)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘PC help – Fresh windows7 installation: will it die if I format this bit ?’ is closed to new replies.