Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • PC Hardware Qu – Barebones, motherboards, chips & sockets
  • Stoner
    Free Member

I have a Shuttle XPC. Nice bit of kit, but the motherboard is a bit long in the tooth now and can only support 2Gb of RAM. Vista copes OK with Aero off, but it’s not ideal. The 478 Socket has a Pentium 4 2.8Ghz in it.

It seems like I cant buy a new XPC form factor motherboard to replace it. I can, however, get another XPC barebones for around £250 that will take upto either 4Gb or 8Gb – but if I do that I think Im restricted to a 775 Socket which is compatible with “Socket 775 supports Single, Dual and Quad Core processors from Intel
    with Core technology and 800, 1066 or 1333MHz front side bus:
    Supports Core 2 Quad, Core 2 Duo, Pentium Dual-Core,
    Celeron Dual-Core, Celeron 4xx”

Im guessing this means that I cant use my pentium 4 CPU in the 775 Socket?

In which case, what kind of chip should I be looking for? (no gaming, have 256Mb Graphics card anyway, running Vista but only Excel as a process hungry app). I cant quite work out whether I should be looking at stated “speed” in Ghz or Dual Core, Quad, Pentium, Celeron or whatever, as for some reasons some of the more expensive chips have a “slower” speed than cheaper ones? eh?

Any help gratefully received.

BlingBling
    Free Member

Intel E7*** or E8*** Dual core will do you grand.

Those are about the best price/performance at the moment.

Some asshat will come in and tell you to get quad but WTF.

Stoner
    Free Member

noticebly better than E2 or E5 as they are 2x or 3x the price…?

BlingBling
    Free Member

Reason for speed/price difference.

The speed of the chip is calculated by speed of the front side bus x a fixed multiply factor of the chip.

FSB is quad pumped so always quoted as 4x faster than reality.

So for a E8400 which is 3Ghz and 1333Mhz fsb (actually 333.33MHz) it would be 333.33 x 9 multiply factor = 2999.97MHz or 3Ghz

The cheaper chips work on an 800fsb just like your current P4 does.

The size of cache also makes a difference to he price.

Larger L2 cache is great for games but not sure what benefits normal apps.

My folks have Vista on an E2200 bsed machine and it’s not the best to be honest even with 2G of RAM.

Stoner
    Free Member

cheers for that.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Cheap as chips…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘PC Hardware Qu – Barebones, motherboards, chips & sockets’ is closed to new replies.