Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Pc Gaming
  • bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Looking at dabbling with some pc gaming. Current pc is not upto the job. Computer is in link below, but specs are as follows.

Intel I3 2.6ghz
    4gb Ram
    500 gb hdd
    Windows 8
    Intel onboard graphics

Now there is no option to fit a video card as it has no pci express slot.

Now the motherboards I’m limited are itx board. Can I just stick a different mobo in and get a grapics card and new processor? Or do I custom build something?
    Main game I want it to run is flight SIM x which needs a high processor clock speed. (3ghz or above) and maybe some other new ish games.

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/kb/docDisplay?javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.prp_ba847bafb2a2d782fcbb0710b053ce01=wsrp-navigationalState%3DdocId%253Demr_na-c03512952-6%257CdocLocale%253D%257CcalledBy%253D&javax.portlet.tpst=ba847bafb2a2d782fcbb0710b053ce01&sp4ts.oid=5295980&ac.admitted=1390632994889.876444892.199480143

jekkyl

Not sure what you’re asking, you will need a new mobo, cpu & gpu to run that game, so yeah I suppose that’s a custom build. Don’t skimp on cost for your gpu.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Just wondering if the case is worth using or start from scratch?

chrssmale
    Free Member

And looking at the spec, you’ll need a new PSU as well to power. Also I guess you’re copy of Windows will be OEM and I don’t think that’ll be transferable to a new build. If you kept the case I guess you would also have to get a small form GPU, don’t know if it would fit well in the case and then I’d also be worried about heat dissipation too.
    Basically, the only thing I would say is salvageable is the RAM and hard drive.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Sounds like a custom build would be better then. Would a budget of £500 be sufficient?

jekkyl

Was just gonna say the same, probably be better buying a new pc, plug in the ram you have and upgrade the gpu. Then you can sell your current one on eBay for help towards the cost.

chrssmale
    Free Member

Its been a few years since I last built a PC, so I’m a little out of touch. Personally, if I wouldn’t have a use for a 2nd build I’d just sell it as is. I guess you would be able to sell it easier with RAM included.

I think you could do it for <£500.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=43&catid=2479

Could be a good place to start.

dannybgoode

Even the ram may not be salvageable as the newer boards use GDR 3 memory and your current PC probably doesn’t.

I would suggest something along the following lines

Intel i5 4670K – £180
    Asus H87M-PLUS Motherboard – £80
    Corsair Memory XMS3 Classic 4GB DDR3 2000 MHz RAM – £50
    Seagate ST1000DM003 1TB SATA 3 Hard Drive – £45
    MSI Radeon R9 270X Gaming GPU – £155
    Sharkoon VS3-V Black with Chrome Piping Case – £30
    Corsair CP-9020048-UK Builder Series CX 600W Power Supply – £56

Just shy of £600 and that will run any game coming out for the forseeable future.

All available from scan.co.uk at those prices.

Duffer
    Free Member

As Chrssmale mentioned above, don’t forget to account for a copy of Windows (£70 ish).

£500 is plenty with which to build a respectable gaming PC, but you’ll soon go over that if you need a new monitor / keyboard / mouse etc.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Monitor I have is pretty good. But my plan is I want something for the living room. Something I can hook up to my hd tv, connect to the surround sound for music etc.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Get yourself over to scan.co.uk and check out the 3xs gaming systems. You can go down the fully built route or you can build a kit as I did.

Whatever yo do, don’t scrimp on the PSU. You need to supply adequate juice to the CPU and graphics card.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Pc Gaming’ is closed to new replies.