Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • PC Gamers – what are the games to own these days?
  • smogmonster

I’ve bought myself a fancy Alienware PC, and having been out of the PC gaming scene for a good 10 years or so i’m well out of the loop as to what is big in that world these days, so looking for recommendations. I used to love Command and Conquer style games and of course FPS’s. So ive got Warhammer on order, will probably get Titanfall 2 as loved it on the PS4..which is heading on EBay..or STW Classifieds. Any other games to be recommended?

theprancinghorse
    Free Member

If you like command and conquer stlye games the Civilisation V or VI is for you. Voice acted by Sean Bean too. When it comes to PC gaming there’s Team fortress 2 that’s a free to play fps but less serious. Outlast 2 is a big one right now, but very scary! Just get Steam there’s always deals on there and you’ll soon get a feel for what’s hot or not.

cranberry
    Free Member

Sudden Strike 4 is coming out – a bit less build-an-army-and-storm-your-opponent than C&C, but you might enjoy it.

martinhutch

Doom is the best FPS I’ve played recently.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Another vote for Doom, great fun. Currently playing Battlefield 1 which is superb.

I’m open to suggestions also so watching this thread…

Russell96

RTS wise take a look at Ashes of the Singularity

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I’ve fallen out of love with simulation racers in recent times, when I game I tend to play…
    Rocket League (think car football with boosters to fly for a while, very addictive)
    Grip (think Rollcage)
    Formula Fusion (think Wipeout, 25% discount this weekend on Steam)
    Redout (another Wipeout style)

chrisdw
    Free Member

As mentioned before. Doom. Its brilliant. Only got 6 hours logged on steam so far. But its a lot of fun.

If youve never played it before. The Portal games are good fun. Something a bit slower paced and ‘thinky’.

Ive still got C&C Generals and Age of Empires 2 installed.

Will be watching this thread as ive only recently built myself a pc.

PJay
    Free Member

If you fancy a try at something RPG then the The Witcher 3 The Wild Hunt (Game of the Year Edition) is fantastic.

redthunder
    Free Member

I’m still playing games from 1983.

Spelunker next on the Atari800 🙂

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

http://www.vectorlight.net/games/chaos-tournament might take you back in time, if it works for you (I’m getting an error just now, might just need to install Silverlight), frre to play

Or the modern, fancy graphics version is on Steam, http://store.steampowered.com/app/319050/Chaos_Reborn/

mattyfez

Battlefield 1, witcher 3, dishonored 2 (and 1if you’ve not played it great game you should be able to get cheap).

Bioshock series, resident evil 7.

Age of mythology is a cool if old RTS you should enjoy if you like command and conquer type games.

jekkyl

just get Steam, there are hundreds of free to play games. Two of the best are DOTA2 and TF2 – these are both online players. very addictive though so be aware you may lose days…

https://www.pcgamesn.com/nine-best-free-play-games-steam

Cougar

resident evil 7.

I played the teaser demo on the Xbox a few weeks ago. Properly gave me the willies, I don’t think my nerves could take the full game!

colournoise

Borderlands/Borderlands 2

Cougar

I’m playing Thimbleweed Park at the moment. Retro-style “point and click” arcade adventure game by the same people who did Monkey Island, Maniac Mansion etc. It’s ace.

Northwind

RTSs- Company of Heroes ruined it for everybody by being too good, hardly anyone even attempts a traditional RTS any more. So get that, it’s really old now but still fantastic. (company of heroes 2 is decent but the original does most of the key stuff better)

Dawn of War 3 looks like it’ll be good but it’s not here yet.

Haven’t played a shooter I really like for a while so when I want to shoot things, I install the original Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl and throw some mods at it.

Del

i see COD is going back to it’s roots. ww2 out in november. looks ace.

mattyfez

I played the teaser demo on the Xbox a few weeks ago. Properly gave me the willies, I don’t think my nerves could take the full game!

Yeh it is super creepy, there are moments of respite though once you figure out the game mechanics, once you’ve cleared an area you’re fairly safe until you solve the puzzle to progress, then when you get to the new bit, the fear comes back because you know something is about to scare the Jesus out of you.

I’ve not played it for a month or so as it was creeping me out too much.

FuzzyWuzzy

Battlegrounds is great (on Steam early access at the moment). It’s a Battle Royale style game (a genre you may have missed if you’ve been out of gaming for 10 years). Basically you all (100 players) start off with no gear and parachute onto a pretty big island (you choose when to jump out of the plane) and go around houses looting gear (weapons and body armour) and killing the other players (you can also loot them). Last man standing wins. It’s good fun as mixes FPS with some strategy so keeps things fresher (you can play in squads to if you have mates that game).

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Depending what you like…

Metro Redux/Last Light
    Bioshock 1&3
    Dead Space 1
    Witcher3
    slither.io

Star Citizen… If they ever finish it.

Seems everyone is playing Overwatch these days…

I hear Bungie are going to make a new RTS 😀

martinhutch

That Battlegrounds game looks fun. In a kind of ‘die almost immediately’ sort of way. 😀 I guess because of the format there’s quite a long wait to restart a game? How long do the games generally take if you do get a bit better/luckier?

plyphon
    Free Member

Overwatch for that Quake style arena skill play madness (I mean that in the best possible way, I play it almost daily)

Counter Strike Global Offensive for twitchy competitive FPS

Dark Souls 3 with a controller if you want to get your ass kicked for a few hours every day.

Cougar

That Battlegrounds game looks fun. In a kind of ‘die almost immediately’ sort of way.

There’s always World of Tanks. Third ‘person’ shooter with a pacing that’s more suitable for old farts lapsed gamers, you don’t need a 14-year old’s reactions to play it.

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Exactly same as you smog, bought an Alienware laptop not a clue what games to get saw an old mate who gave me the heads up on Playerunknowns Battlegrounds, got to admit I think it has the potential to be one of the best games ever if developed correctly, proper heart racing moments as you hear or encounter someone ready to ruin your day,few too many keys at the moment for someone who has got lazy with PS and Xbox controllers over the years, so end up panicing and taken out too often at the moment!!

smiththemainman
    Free Member

To martinhutch, game probaly half an hour if you get down to last 10 or so, not sure after that ,lol restart the next game in a couple of minutes, so it is fine no hanging around.

martinhutch

What happens if someone just decides to hide somewhere and wait it out?*

*Not that I would personally advocate such a cowardly way to progress…

smiththemainman
    Free Member

The playing area condenses every few minutes so if you are not within the circle you sustain damage and die!! you can run as fast as possible to the area or grab a form of transport to get there, but it can often be too far and you die.

smiththemainman
    Free Member

I`m only a week into it so an absolute novice the lad I spoke to teams up with mates ,parachuting out of the plane at the exact same time so they land in similar area of the island and then work together, not sure how it works as i would only kill someone that was working with me at the moment 🙂

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Quake Champions could be fun. I’ve just signed up the beta version, waiting hopefully for an invite…

sobriety
    Free Member

I’m currently into war thunder. If you’ve ever enjoyed flight sims then it’s good fun, and designed for mouse/keyboard control in the two more basic game modes.

It’s free and is easy to pick up in arcade mode, suitably challenging in realistic, and I need a VR headset and to properly customise my joystick to play it in simulation mode.

It’s potentially a bit grindy, but I don’t really notice that as I’m to busy enjoying knocking other peoples wings off.

Xylene
    Free Member

My little girl has started playing Lego games, and I am wondering whether I should splash out on a Ryzen 5 equiped 1050 or buy one of the many prebuilt AMD A10 setups I keep seeing.

200 vs 600 quid. Will the A10 equipped machine let me do a bit of casual gaming with it’s standalone R7-2GB card.

FuzzyWuzzy

Yeah in Battlegrounds the rounds last a while but if you die you can just exit to lobby and queue for a new round.

As has been said to stop camping a safe circle appears on the map after a while and if you’re not inside it when it activates you take damage (initially not much and the circle is huge but the circle contracts every few minutes and the damage taken being outside it increases). Part of the strategy is guesstimating the final circle position and getting there in time so you aren’t killed running across open ground by people camping already in the circle (but also having enough gear before you move that you have a chance of winning).

Good aim helps a lot as does knowing the various weapons + map knowledge but IME they’re less of a big deal than in straight FPSs like CS (where a lot of people seem to have pixel perfect instant aim + know the maps inside out).

Worth watching people like Lirik or Summit1G on Twitch to get an idea of the game before buying it (they make it look easier than it is though :p )

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Also I need to add if you are ridling away from gunfire on a motorbike like a scared kitten and run into a rock you can die

mattyfez

Metro last light is a good shout, I really enjoyed it.

smogmonster

Smiththemainman, what spec did you get? I got a (relatively speaking) bargain from the outlet store – 4K 15″ screen, i6780K (the overclocked Sky Lake one), 32GB RAM, 1070GTX GFX, 1TB SSD AND 1TB HDD 7200RPM, and got 20% off on MayDay..£1500 all in i think. I mainly wanted a Laptop for 4K video editing for my Mavic and GoPro but with that GFX card i cant help but get back into the gaming scene. Should arrive Friday, cant wait. It also has the port for the external graphics card system for when the 1070 is too old hat in a few years time. Definitely going to have to investigate ‘Battlegrounds’, sounds rather good fun.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Sounds epic. When it’s all set up and updated, try the new Superposition benchmark from Unigine and give us the score!

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Good price ,I blew the bank on a 17R4 i7 6820HK with full VR and eye recognition, nvidia g sync GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5X whatever all that means,runs like a dream, GTA 5 Call of Duty and makes the Xbox 1 graphics look like an old system!!

Cougar

I got a (relatively speaking) bargain from the outlet store – 4K 15″ screen, i6780K (the overclocked Sky Lake one), 32GB RAM, 1070GTX GFX, 1TB SSD AND 1TB HDD 7200RPM, and got 20% off on MayDay..£1500 all in i think

Speaking as a PC geek; this is exactly why I bought an Xbox.

grannyjone
    Free Member

Starcraft 2

I don’t bother with any other RTS

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘PC Gamers – what are the games to own these days?’ is closed to new replies.