Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • PC advice
  • nickf
    Free Member

I’ll begin by saying that I have zero technical knowledge when it comes to computers.

I have a laptop at home that I use for very limited surfing, plus a load of podcast downloads from iTunes. I *may* also use PirateBay from time to time…

Somehow my machine’s picked up a virus; I had McAfee on the machine, but not the newest version. Anyway, the virus is obviously trying to get me to purchase some form of security software (it keeps popping up a screen saying “You must buy this software”), and has helpfully disabled my McAfee program. It’s also shutting down the machine after 10 minutes of use.

What’s the best/easiest way to resolve this? Buy a new CD of whatever the latest/best security software is and run it? Or will the machine need a rebuild and thus a trip to the dreaded PC World or the like?

All suggestions welcomed.

nickjb
    Free Member

Try a free anti virus like avast, mse or avg. I use avast.

EDIT: and scan any downloaded stuff as soon as you get it and don't do your general surfing as 'admin'

spacemonkey

I've no idea what you've picked up, but I'd definitely recommend you create a login on Tech Support Forum – AV.

It might be a couple of days before you get a response, but once you do, follow their instructions to the letter (particularly if you're IT literate) and you've every chance they'll fix it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    spacemonkey

Like nickjb says, download another AV tool (Kaspersky is also very good) and do a proper scan. Also scan any suspicious downloads you make (you'll know the ones I mean).

Drac

1) no rebuild needed

2) don't go to pcworld

3) no need to sign to a tech forum

4) wait until I get downstairs on my desktop so I can link stuff easier

Drac

Reet you have the very common and tricky little Fake AV virus by the sounds. If you going to download stuff from pirate bay you need to be protected, always read the comments as people will post if it's flashed up a virus. And install a proper AV software like Avast which updates almost daily and sometimes more often.

Anyway use this site step by step to get rid of what you have.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-av-security-suite

nickf
    Free Member

Thanks all – just what I needed.

nickf
    Free Member

Huge thanks to Drac – after a couple of hours of scanning my hard drive, I followed all of the instructions on the link he posted up and all is now well.

Bet I'd not have had such useful and prompt advice on Mumsnet, eh…..

retro83
    Free Member

Now you've got it sorted, you should install Windows Defender in addition to your virus/malware scanner. It pops up an alert if anything tries to register itself to run at startup or install stuff behind your back.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘PC advice’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts