Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • PB vs STW
  • SprocketMan
    Free Member

I use both web sites to buy and sell my stuff, and I believe they are equally good means of doing so. But who here abides only by STW? And would spit at a PB link? Just interested to see a response.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I also use both but find Pinkbike easier and quicker.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I use both but pinkbike only for frames. It’s an awful site though. I always have to change my location from USA.

I hate pinkbike links in our forum but I hate sale posts with links to previous ads.

It takes two minutes to copy and paste your last ad. I won’t open previous ads or pinkbike links.

chakaping
    Free Member

I use both and find Pinkbike users are generally more courteous, reasonable and far less pushy. Some STW users seem to have a ridiculous sense of entitlement.

I hate pinkbike links in our forum but I hate sale posts with links to previous ads.

It takes two minutes to copy and paste your last ad. I won’t open previous ads or pinkbike links.

I genuinely struggle to understand how you can feel so strongly about it. Not trying to put you down, just don’t understand why it’d be an issue.

SprocketMan
    Free Member

I think Pinkbike has a better layout, and for uploading photos it wins hands down… if someone has something decent their selling why should a few seconds make any difference? That’s petty.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

It’s not that I feel strongly about it I just think its lazy. Or is that me being lazy so I don’t have to click two links lol 🙂

Think the use of the word hate made my concern sound more than it is.

Oh and if you’re just interested in a response you shouldn’t call it petty when someone gives you one 😉

scotroutes

I don’t use Pinkbike at all, so don’t sell there and wouldn’t follow a link to someone selling on there.

chakaping
    Free Member

Think the use of the word hate made my concern sound more than it is.

Yeah, I probably read it differently to how you meant it.

SprocketMan
    Free Member

Probably a bit lazy on both parts, but I think singletrack should think about an upgrade… it got enough users doesn’t it?

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I don’t really see an issue with here, it’s simple and copying images is so simple from my phone using photobucket.

An upload option for pics on here would help though.

scotroutes

Upgrade? In what way?

SprocketMan
    Free Member

An easier uploading format, similar to PB.

scotroutes

Ah – OK. I guess I don’t sell stuff often enough that the couple of minutes it takes is such a hassle. I just upload pics to Flickr and copy the link they provide.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I use both and find Pinkbike users are generally more courteous, reasonable and far less pushy. Some STW users seem to have a ridiculous sense of entitlement.

This.

Generally sells at a far higher value too.

I’m very cautious of selling anything on here now for fear of not being able to post it the instant it’s been paid for, then the resulting headache of dealing with people who expect used items to be as new, despite described otherwise.

Still buy the occasional thing though.

njee20
    Free Member

Prefer BikeRadar, never used pink bike, find you get much better offers on BR, most on here just seem really tight frankly! Reckon its the large northern/Scottish contingent!

rOcKeTdOg

what is PB?

chilled76
    Free Member

Tried using Ride.io? Works well for me when selling.

julianwilson
    Free Member

I like that PB tells you where the stuff for sale is located: far too much stuff on stw is advertised as ‘pickup only’ and then nowhere in thread or profile does it say where the seller is. Also good for searching for particular parts rather than opening up endless ‘massive’ clearout threads. This also seems to sidestep the ‘un-bumpable threads but reposted daily for weeks on end’ repetitiveness of stw classifieds.

I haven’t found the ridiculous sense of entitlement selling stuff mentioned above on stw, but then having ebayed for ages before stw I apply the same rules as I do there, ie before I start a FS thread I make sure I have the stuff clean, off whatever bike it was on, well photographed and in a flickr gallery, bike boxes etc ready as well a few gaps in the schedule to get to a post office that day, the next day and so on. Feels a bit harsh taking someone’s money up front without being in a position to send it within a day. But then this is my experience of buying on classifieds too, everything has come pretty quickly and as described/photographed, and I only ever moaned about description (‘mint’ fork with photos of most parts except the scratched stanchion: seller was really decent/sorry about it though and offered partial refund or return).

On the other hand, a mate sells on PB and finds a lot of ‘messers’ and could have the biggest radio controlled car and retro games console collection in Plymouth by now if he had accepted half the offers/trades he’s had over the years. 😆

cookeaa

I’ve only recently unearthed my PB login and discovered that they have added a posher buy/sell section. I found some proper bargain deals on there. Can’t say the same about STW for the most part. I won’t be bothering to buy or sell via STW again. Having said that at least STW posters are a fair bit more literate. PB is a hotbed of crap grammar and spelling. IMO

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I’ve bought all my recent wheels off PB and got some real bargains. Met a couple of buyers locally and they’ve been great. Even found a new riding buddy.

I don’t know how to stop PB thinking I’m in Canada though.

I still read our bike forum everyday mind.

boxxer7
    Free Member

I use PB here and ride io. Pink bike seems to be less hassle. The thing that annoys me as a seller on here is when you email someone back who’s contacted you and they can’t be arsed to reply! If its not what your after just email back and say!

That said I’ve delt with loads of people on here that have been great.

nwill1
    Free Member

I use both but PB is much better for clear ads, my ads on STW normally give brief details before a link as I still haven’t worked out how to get pics up on here !!!! doh!!!

Also you can quickly repost and people can search for you goods much easier on PB.

Northwind

Pinkbike can be good but by god are there a lot of timewasters! I “sold” my Ellsworth 6 times before anyone remembered that they were supposed to send money. Not that any of them could be bothered to say “Oh sorry, backing out”.

fasthaggis

Is pinkbike where the commoners hang out?

tomhoward

There seems to be a few eejits on pb, a mate today picked up a patriot frame and a bikes worth of decent parts hanging off a 2004 ish Spesh enduro sworks frame that had ‘snapped’

The bit that was snapped? The, replaceable for £10, mech hanger. He paid 300 for the lot…. Worked the right way for my mate, but could go the other way. (eg the patriot has a ding in the top tube, seller says it came like that from the factory…)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I found pink bike was goof for flogging useless Tat and other stuff that would appeal to 14yo’s I off loaded some Junior T’s, and 9″ rotors that I had kicking about. If you can understand the coded messages they send and explain in big letters that you will not trade/swap for a set of DJ2’s etc it helps.

STW classifieds has been got for a bit of stuff here or there. Had some great deals on here from the rush for 10 speed and the CCDB or nothing fads. The fact that some people consider things to be outdated within 5 mins of fitting is good for the rest of us.

Northwind

Oh, also I love PB’s offers options- no offers, reasonable offers only, any offers. “Yes, I am open to ridiculous offers”

Holyzeus
    Free Member

+1 to an upgrade, it’s the most basic forum I’ve ever used

robhughes
    Free Member

Is it just me as when i see a for sale link to PB i just thing it’s dodgy…. 😕

SprocketMan
    Free Member

^ No, your just ignorant 😛

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘PB vs STW’ is closed to new replies.