Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Payroll question – input please!
  • hughjayteens
    Free Member

Pleased to say the company is expanding and new staff coming on board etc.

At the moment, we run our payroll/timesheets up until the last working day of the month, they are then checked the next working day and then paid the following, but if the last day is a friday, it could be tuesday/wednesday the 4th/5th until the money hits someones account.

This has never been a problem before, but a new starter has the humo somewhat as his last place paid him on the last working day.

I have worked for companies in the past where you worked in arrears so got paid on the 21st of the month for the previous month, so was wondering what the norm is?

We could run the payroll/timesheets from say the 23rd to the 23rd so pay on the last working day for the previous 4 weeks.

Input welcomed!

mr_mills
    Free Member

I would say getting paid on the last working day of the month is the “norm”.

druidh
    Free Member

I used to get paid on the 15th of the month. Then it was the 3rd last business day. My Mrs gets paid on the last Thursday.

Makes no odds as long as you know when it is.

nick1962
    Free Member

As a senior management consultant I would be happy to give you my input on this particularly complex issue. PM me for a full breakdown of my usual fees 🙂

If it ain’t broke why change it just on account of the new guy if it was working well for everyone else? Surely he knew the pay arrangements when he started?
    And if you are going to change it surely you should consult your other employees to see what suits them?

samuri
    Free Member

I’ve not worked anywhere for about twenty years that didn’t pay me on the 15th. All those places expected me to work at least two weeks in advance too. Like where I am now.

uplink
    Free Member

It does sound like a ‘different’ way of doing things you have there but if everyone is happy ………..

I suspect the new guy has some payments that need to come out and he runs it on the limit with his bank account so a bit wary of it going too far into the next month, …………. and his wife has probably wound him up to have a go.

‘spose you could look at doing it on a Thursday when the last day falls on a Friday? – it does happen every other month or so

TheFlyingOx

My new place does 28th of the month, or previous working day if that’s a weekend.

Happily, they also don’t do month in arrears. Started on 8th August, got a full month’s pay on 26th, to add to the pay from my previous job 😀

crispo
    Free Member

I started my first proper job this year. Get paid on the 25th but as mentioned above if thats a weekend or bank holiday it come in earlier. I have all my standing orders going out at the end of the month so its good to know thats its going to be in there at least the 25th.

If it sometimes went in a few days later I guess I would just have to be a bit more on the ball checking my account.

Or re-arrange my standing orders for a few days later to allow for this. Guess it really isnt that much of an issue actually! 🙂

jonba
    Free Member

We work in arrears and get paid on the 18th. It solves a number of problems around xmas which I think is why they did it.

However, it surely makes no difference when you are paid as long as you know when to expect it on a regular basis? I’d be interested to know why the person was unhappy. It seems to me they might not be the best employee if they are that inflexible and unable to see why beyond the first month it makes no difference to them. You can rearrange direct debits easy enough. I come from a world where I don’t run out of money at the end of the month because I’m able to budget, I know plenty who aren’t and have to wait until payday to buy anything…

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Thanks for the input. As we’re still quite new and small we have an opportunity to change things with minium impact so just wanted to feedback on the norm.

As there clearly isn’t a norm, we’ll stick to the the current system until we have a good reason to change!

Cheers

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Payroll question – input please!’ is closed to new replies.