Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • PayPal payment query. Is it unreasonable to expect?
  • finners

Firstly, it’s nothing connected to anything or anyone on here. So pitch forks can be hung back up….

If on a classifieds similar to stw, you sell something for let’s say £200. The buyer pays but as they have paid for goods (to quite understandably get buyer protection) you end up incurring the charges.

Would you normally adjust the payment, as the buyer, so the seller didn’t incur the fee? I would. And everyone I have dealt with in the passed has.

The value of the sale is more than the £200 above, and charges do amount to a decent amount….

Cheers

tomhoward

so factor that in when you price your item?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Discus with buyer/seller but IMHO the buyer gets the protection so they foot the bill

nickjb
    Free Member

If you say £200 via PayPal is OK then that implies you are paying costs. If you say plus fees, or PPG only then that implies you expect them to pay the fees. IMO. Both parties benefit so hard to say who pays but in all other transactions it is the seller unless specifically stated otherwise

finners

Ye I appreciate that. May we’ll be a learning curve. May be that I’m lucky that folk on here know the score or are more trusting. All my sales on here have either been a payment (transfer of funds not with the buyer protection so no fees either end) or the buyer has adjusted the fee. I’ve just found that whatever the price stated is that’s what the seller receives from the buyer.

spooky_b329

If I offer PayPal I do not expect the buyer to foot the bill. I’m the seller, it’s an overhead the seller incurs, and the seller also benefits by not messing about with cheques or untraceable bank transfers.

Plus it’s in the T&Cs that you do not charge extra for offering PayPal.

johndoh
    Free Member

If someone was selling something to me for £200 and said I could pay via PayPal, I wouldn’t expect to then pay £200 + fees.

st

As a seller I appreciate but don’t expect Paypal gift or buyer paying fees. if it’s something really cheap then I’ll stipulate but otherwise I just factor it into how much I’m prepared to negotiate on the price.

As a buyer I’m prepared to pay / contribute to fees for the peace of mind of paypal goods as opposed to gift. In some cases my best offer will be asking price on the assumption that the seller will accept PP fees.

theotherjonv

Set your price to include fees, and make it clear that’s the case. Simple.

pjt201
    Free Member

Put it this way, if you walked into a shop, picked up an item priced at £200, took it to the till and paid by credit card would you then agree to pay the £4 (approx) card processing fee for the merchant?

jota180
    Free Member

Is it unreasonable to expect?

Pretty much, yes

kcal

pjt201 – depends – I appreciate it’s a cost on some businesses that they pass on – directly or indirectly.

When you buy goods – unless from known folk obviously – the PP goods option kicks in. You can pay the fees as buyer or let seller pick up the tab – probably needs to be sorted out in advance?

hammyuk
    Free Member

If I’m selling something then I carry whatever “costs” there are.
    You really expect to use something like Paypal to take your buyers payment, process, it, pass those funds on to you safely and not pay for it?
    Seems many on here are and that just smacks of greed.

st

hammyuk, to a point but likewise I’m still be happy to sell and have the buyer collect or even to send me a cheque in the post neither of which will incur any fees.

To me it fits in similarly to the cost of postage. I’ll state if something includes postage and likewise when I’d prefer for a larger / heavier item to be collected. In this case I’d normally consider posting but for an additional cost.

trail_rat
    Free Member

if i know you ill send by bank transfer

if you insist on paypal you pay the fees

if i dont know you ill pay the agree’d price to paypal and send it as payment for goods.

nealglover
    Free Member

Plus it’s in the T&Cs that you do not charge extra for offering PayPal.

Who’s T&C’s ?

hammyuk
    Free Member

st – no issue with saving money on fees here by collection, etc.
    I just find it amazing that people expect to sell something, have the money processed by a third party, etc with the protection that brings but don’t expect to pay for it!

atlaz
    Free Member

As a commercial entity it’s in the Paypal contract you’d sign. As a private individual, no such restriction. I offer two prices when selling privately; the PP gift price and the price if the buyer wants the reassurance of being able to get their money back. It’s worked fine for me

craigxxl
    Free Member

If you are selling at a set price then advertise at Paypal plus fees just as you would for P&P if not included in the price. I don’t know where the idea comes from that the seller must absorb all costs yet the buyer expects transaction insurance and P&P for free as well as discount.
    I bought something recently where the buyer had asked for the amount and to be paid by Paypal gift. I paid the amount plus the fees. Why should I expect the seller to absorb the cost of my Paypal protection.

norbert-colon

I think the key is you need to set the rules upfront. It is too late to introduce this sort of thing into the discussion once an agreement on a sale has been made. (irrespective of whether the buyer is trying to pull a fast one or just isn’t thinking about it in any depth)

You can either state that the fee is + Paypal fees and plus P&P or state a fixed price which includes extra to cover the fees, but be prepared to offer a discount for cash and/or collection of the item?

Either way there is no confusion and the price you and the buyer settle on is one which you are both happy with, before you accept payment.

nealglover
    Free Member

As a commercial entity it’s in the Paypal contract you’d sign. As a private individual, no such restriction.

Ok, so not relevant in this case then.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘PayPal payment query. Is it unreasonable to expect?’ is closed to new replies.