Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Paypal overchages?
  • simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Paypal’s fees are supposed to be 3.4% +20p. I’ve just sold 5 things on eBay and one of them has a higher paypal charge.

Sale was £66, Charge should be £2.44 but it’s on my account as £3.63. Anyone had this or have any idea why?

teethgrinder

Brexit.

Rubber_Buccaneer

for example Australia would be 5.2% plus 20p so £3.63

Sundayjumper

Agreed – likely an overseas buyer. Or more precisely a non-GBP Paypal account.

I got caught with this a while back, very annoying but nothing you can do about it.

plyphon
    Free Member

Occam’s razor n all that

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

That’s shit. Surely they can’t do that (well, it’s Paypal, they can do wtf they want).

It was a UK auction, shipping to a UK address, priced in GBP. If someone want’s to use overseas currency to pay it they should bear all the costs? When I’ve spent money in foreign currency Paypal sting you with a shit FX rate.

STATO
    Free Member

What was it, some items have different rates or charges. Oh wait, thats ebay sorry.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

After listing something on eBay for the first time in ages, I have learnt this week that you can block payments from other currencies in your PayPal account – thus avoiding the conversion charges.

I have learnt this at the same time as finding out that putting “Will ship to: United Kingdom” on your listing doesn’t actually mean that. What it means is that unless you have specifically blocked countries in your profile, excluded users from those countries from bidding, opted out of global shipping, faced the sun and said the magic incantation etc. etc. you will end up with an email from your winning bidder saying “Hello from Russia, how much to delivery please?”

Thanks a million, eBay 🙄

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

After listing something on eBay for the first time in ages, I have learnt this week that you can block payments from other currencies in your PayPal account – thus avoiding the conversion charges

I can’t find this – is it in Paypal or in Ebay?

torsoinalake
    Free Member

PayPal. You have to go on the website, not in the app.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

So mine was set to “Ask me to decide whether to accept or refuse each individual payment “

Which obviously it didn’t do

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Paypal overchages?’ is closed to new replies.