Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Paypal holding funds….WTF???
  • lodious
    Free Member

Just sold 3 items on ebay, all were paid by paypal. One of the items has come up with…

PayPal and eBay are working together to make it safer than ever to buy on eBay. One of the boldest steps is to identify transactions that pose the greatest risk of fraud and holding the payments from sellers for a period of time to help ensure that the transactions go smoothly.

To get access to the funds sooner, please post the item as soon as possible. We’ll release the payment for the eBay item when one of the following occurs:

The buyer leaves you positive feedback on eBay.
    It’s been 21 days since the payment date and you haven’t received a dispute, claim, chargeback, or reversal on the transaction being held

WTF…when did this come in? I have 100% positive feedback, I did not get any warning (as far as I can remember) that paypal were going to keep my money. This does not seem fair ;-(

Olly
    Free Member

Poor show!!

if they want to do that they should base it on bloody feedback!
    then people might thing twice about ripping people off, not base it on a random selection.

ask for the interest on it?
    (not that it would be much, but still)

ski
    Free Member

Ebay/paypal are losing the plot big time…

Ebay is a faceless company to deal with, paypal is not much better.

eckinspain
    Free Member

So if the buyer receives the goods and leaves you negative feedback, you’ll never get your money??

lodious
    Free Member

Think so, so I have more chance of being ripped off than the buyer ;-(. Unless he does not leave +ve feedback, I have to wait 21 days to get paid out!

SilentSparky
    Free Member

I had this when I sold something more expensive, luckily the buyer was collecting so I asked him to leave feedback whilst collecting the item on my laptop so that the funds would clear.

Took 2-3 days after for funds to be released.

Still sucks assssss though

househusband

It’s happened to me; this condition makes it all the more vital to ensure that you send it recorded and, ideally, insured and covered to the full transaction amount.

julianwilson
    Free Member

what did you sell? Mobile phones, games consoles and laptops are a big source of concern for ebay and paypal as they refund defrauded buyers and lose the fraudulent sellers. Not fair on people like you mind, and they really ought to warn you about this policy when you list the item on ebay in the first place. I don’t think its unreasonable for an ebay seller to expect to have their money within a few days of auction. The pressing need for funds often being why i have sold stuff anyway!

The buyer will have paid up: it is paypal who are sitting on your money. And generating nice amount of interest when you extrapolate this out to all the other people they are doing it to.

I guess this means you have to post it special/recorded delivery, and photograph serial numbers, condition and packaging insode and out in case your buyer disputes what you actually sent them.

The ‘community’ ebay forum may be of help to you. Or you might just see how many other people are complaining about this and being told ‘tough’ by e-pal.

lodious
    Free Member

The item was a pair of roof bars….can’t think why that would be high risk?

bigdawg
    Free Member

did the buyer have low or no feedback – I had this a few months back with a snowboard I sold – I think they were under the impression the buyer was dodgy – used his g/friends card on paypal, names didnt match etc…

Get on the phone to them and find out whats going on…

lodious
    Free Member

…but if I get on the phone to him and let him know, is there not a risk he will give me -ve feedback and get the roofbars for free?

duckman

Would he not then have to return the roof bars at his own cost before paypal gave him his money back?

aphex_2k
    Free Member

ski – Member

Ebay/paypal are losing the plot big time…

Ebay is a faceless company to deal with, paypal is not much better.

Isn’t Paypal an eBay company?

Lionheart
    Free Member

I am not keen on Pay Pal, we had an occasion when the money went twice and seller said they had not received it twice but no-body would help, we never got it back so have steered well clear since.

Jamie
    Free Member

aphex_2k:

Isn’t Paypal an eBay company?

Yup.

thepodge
    Free Member

i run my business on paypal and i’ve never had a problem

Spesh99
    Free Member

oops wrong thread
    why can’t we delete posts

jimthesaint

Are the pictures and description you used in your advert your own work, or did you copy them from the internet or another ebay advert?

They’ll withhold payments if you copy descriptions or rip pictures from somewhere else, it’s incase you haven’t actually got the item to sell and are just looking to con someone.

retro83
    Free Member

however shit paypal are they will never be as bad as worldpay

for that at least, i am grateful

convert

I had this last month selling a pair of forks. A few weeks earlier I had a buyer launch a issue in the resolution centre as he hadn’t recieved the stem he’d bought from me after 7 days even though it included the 4 days of the Easter break (t*at!) so I thought it had happened because of that.

If they give you -ve feedback I think you still get your cash, you just might have to wait for 21days for it. I waited 5 days after by buyer left +ve feedback and no money coming through before ringing paypal who said, “sorry, it was a mistake”. Also t*ats!

Spongebob
    Free Member

Yes, happened to me. They do this on certain transactions over £50. It’s to protect them if something goes wrong, nobody else! I asked them why, with my unblemished record of 4 years with 100% feedback, they said it will improve my credibility as a seller!?! WTF! On the contrary, I delayed the transaction and risked negative feedback. I contacted my buyer and they had no idea because the money had gone from their account. My call cannot have inspired confidence. I asked for a bank transfer and offered a refund of the Paypal charges, but they didn’t want to trust me! A tad one sided me thinks!

Paypal still collect their fee immediately, even though you haven’t got your money!! eBay take their’s too. The total combined transaction percentage is around 7%. Easy guaranteed money for them!

They release the money when the buyer leaves positive feedback, or up to 45 days. There is a get out for the 45 day rule however, so you could wait months, or never get paid at all!

They don’t even release the postage fees because these are rolled in to the sum you are supposed to receive.

So you have to trust your buyer is genuine and send off your valuable item out of your own pocket with no guarantee you will ever get paid!

How many firms do you know who will send out items before they have recieved payment?

This policy is bang out of order IMHO.

E.G. The buyer could decide that they just made a mistake and bought the wrong item, or they just buy it for a one off use and then return it to you under some pretence that it’s defective etc. Perhaps they might put a fault on the item to justify their claim. Anything could happen! The risk is all yours! If they do dxck you about, as a seller you can’t even leave negative feedback now! What the hell is that all about?

eBay and Paypal are just finding ways to further relieve themselves of any duty of care to their customers, but they always make sure they get their money! Their customer service totally stinks and their stock responses are just lazy and shoe their contempt fo good users. If they were under the same rating system as the buyers and sellers, I reckon they’d struggle to get 30%. It’s time they got a special feature slot on BBC’s Watchdog!

I’m totally discouraged selling on eBay now and regard my seller account as good as closed through no falut of my own!

So as a seller you get screwed all ways, just because the “Fleabay” and “Gaypal” want a quiet and immensley profittable life!

bonj
    Free Member

2 points:
    1) ebay IS paypal – they own it. They are the same company.

2) they have gone completely insane with favouring the buyer – they were bad enough before. WE need more sellers to sue paypal. I successfully sued them.
    Basically I sold something, and got positive feedback.

Months later, paypal nicked the money back off me by unauthorisedly charging my credit card, claiming a ‘chargeback’ had been filed by the owner of the credit card originally used to buy the item, and that since they’d lost out, they had to pass that onto me.

Their argument was that they agreed with me, but they couldn’t convince the credit card company of the card used to buy the item of this, so they had to pass the charge on to me. Bollocks to that, I thought, so I slapped a writ on the f*kers. My grounds were that I had successfully demonstrated to them that I’d sold it, so therefore if the credit card company were not convinced it was due to their failing. They settled out of court ‘on the understanding that this is in no admission of liability’. Yeah right.

It would really please me if paypal and ebay went bust, they really are the scum of the earth. Right down there with insurance companies.

DON’T trust paypal AT ALL – they are COMPLETELY UNTRUSTWORTHY

thepodge
    Free Member

haha one bad experience and you all mouth off, I’ve had over 5 thousand transactions and its all fine.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Paypal holding funds….WTF???’ is closed to new replies.