Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Paypal Gift question
  • justinbieber

If I was to sell something through classifieds and receive payment as Paypal gift, is there anyway the buyer can claim the money back from me? Apologies if this has been asked before, but my search results are just full of classified ads.

Cheers

legend
    Free Member

Nope, when you have it its yours (barring being taken to court over it)

justinbieber

That’s what I thought, but I can’t find any official evidence to support that. Sauce?

wwaswas

the buyer can’t claim the money back but I suspect the bank/card co supplying the funds could if it was fraudulent.

kerley
    Free Member

Never use the gift option if buying or selling unless you know the buyer/seller and can trust them.
    All payment protect goes out of the window with gift (which is why there are no charges applied for gifts)

edlong
    Free Member

the buyer can’t claim the money back but I suspect the bank/card co supplying the funds could if it was fraudulent.

Nope.

The clue’s in the name: “gift” – you are giving money to someone, and by using that particular mechanism you are specifically and explicitly NOT doing so as consideration for the supply of goods or services. Therefore there is no “it” that could be fraudulent as all the other party is doing is receiving your “gift”.

It’s all in the PayPal T&Cs which, of course, no one bothers to read.

justinbieber

Thanks. I’ll go and have a read of the T&C’s

wwaswas

edlong, I’ve not read the t’s and c’s but most financial institutions can do a clawback for fraudulent use fo a card or account and I can’t see paypal taking on the chin if the OP was the recipient of money that’s then recovered?

edlong
    Free Member

@www

I may have misunderstood what was envisaged as fraudulent – if you’re talking about card fraud, e.g. someone uses a stolen credit card via PP gift then you may well be right.

I was answering from the POV of a transactional fraud – e.g. I “buy” something from someone, pay by PP gift but the seller turns out to be dodgy and nothing is ever delivered. That’s the instance where you have no recourse – if you send a gift to someone and change your mind, neither PayPal nor your credit card provider will be remotely interested.

singletrackstinker
    Free Member

If you’re concerned about fees (and you’re the seller), get them to pay you as goods (not gift) then send a gift amount which equates to the fees you would be paying to PayPal. They’ll pay slightly more but at least you can offset this by reassuring them that they’ll have the pay pal protection.

Or, do cash/bank transfer.

wwaswas

I agree edlong – the normal ‘I’ve changed my mind and want my money back/it’s not what I expected/it’s damaged’ claim wouldn’t apply to a gift.

justinbieber

I wasn’t overly concerned about fees, the buyer just suggested it straight away. It’s the fraudulent credit card abuse that I’m wary of – if they’re using a dodgy card can the card company take the money back from me? But would that be the case for any money paid through paypal – is it all subject to credit card companies claiming it back if the card is dodgy?

Dickyboy

Assuming this is for the Yeti – someone is being very trusting sending you £700 or so paypal gift 😯

justinbieber

Yup, it’s for the Yeti, and those were my thoughts as well, hence the alarm bells.

mcnultycop

Called friends and family now. Just use it for friends. And family.

Fees are tiny for goods and services payment, relatively speaking.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Paypal Gift question’ is closed to new replies.