Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Paypal gift – fees, part 2
  • cakefest
    Free Member

Recently posted about when choosing Paypal gift that it was gonna charge me fees. On advice have now got both a reg’d debit card, and a reg’d bank account with DD set up and confirmed. Have currently got no funds in Paypal account.

When I now choose Paypal gift for a £40 transaction, why is it going to charge me £1.56 fees? Is there a way to get around the fees – I thought that’s what the ‘gift’ thing was all about??

Any advice??

lipseal
    Free Member

Don’t use creditcard as they charge you try and use funds from bank account.

stompy

Send the payment in 2 smaller parts…….seems to avoid fee’s

cakefest
    Free Member

Not using credit card, using debit card. Same thing??

Bank transfer option is greyed out for Paypal gift. Only other option is eCheque? – 5-7 days, long time.

zangolin
    Free Member

Does chainging you back up funding source from cc to bank account make a difference?

cakefest
    Free Member

zangolin, how do i do that?

Coyote
    Free Member

Pay the £1.56. It’s a service that allow rapid transfer of funds around the globe. It’s not a charity.

cakefest
    Free Member

stompy, smaller parts definitely doesn’t avoid fees. Even reducing to £5 payment incurs same percentage fee.

only chasing this because i’m positive i’ve made gift payments before and not had any fees. just can’t remember the exact setup.

anyone else have/remember paypal fee-free transactions??

zangolin
    Free Member

Does chainging you back up funding source from cc to bank account make a difference?

zangolin, how do i do that?

That should read “changing” – don’t think that has an effect after just have quick looking.

Just done a little test on my own PayPal account.
    Making a gift payment:
    No fees if funding source is an instant transfer from my bank account.
    Fees if funding source is from my registered CC.

woffle
    Free Member

From memory they’re cracking down on ‘gifts’ anyway – some changes to the T&C in the offing shortly I think…

cakefest
    Free Member

No fees if funding source is an instant transfer from my bank account.

Strange thing is that when I set up the payment it says that the ways to pay are limited on this transaction, and the Transfer is greyed out. Account is confirmed, so any ideas why?

cp

just move some money into your paypal account from the bank account and then do the gift payment as a seperate transaction…

trail_rat
    Free Member

bank transfers are just as easy as paypal gift – and likely as secure since you get no protection with the gift aspect of paypal !

every bank transfer ive done has been instant – although it could take up to 2 hrs ….. that bank of scotland and nationwide !

oh did i mention they are FREE.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

pretty sure PP are analysing people’s usage habits to establish abuse of the gift system. I now have numerous means of payment connected to PP and the last time I tried to buy something for a tenner via gift it refused it regardless of which method I used to cover it, or even if I had funds in to cover it. Got a message to the effect that “we have reviewed your history with this member and are charging a fee”.

They have already changed the T+C to say that using gift to pay for goods is forbidden so they are obviously clamping down with the ultimate sanction of pulling your acount. Fair enough as thats what we’ve signed up to, but if I’m going to pay a fee then I’ll use the “payment for goods” route (which is of course what PP want) and get some protection , seems mad to pay fees to gift.

Splash-man
    Free Member

As mentioned above, Bank Transfers are pretty much instant now so that is my preferred option.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

splashman I dont disagree, but some people get paranoid about giving out their bank details for a transfer, even though its the exact same info (and no more) thats printed on every cheque they ever wrote. When I transfer electronically from one of my banks to the other its there by the time Ive logged in.

Splash-man
    Free Member

Munqe – exactly – I just don’t get it why people are so precious about this information that is so widely available anyway !!

uplink
    Free Member

I got this from Paypal earlier this year

Dear ****************,

We recently changed our pricing so that all PayPal customers can receive
    money from friends and family for free. PayPal merchants
    receiving money as payment for a purchase, continue to incur fees.

We’re not sure if you are aware of this, but we noticed that some of
    your customers are sending you personal payments for purchases.
    Unfortunately, this violates our rules, and we need your help correcting
    this. Please don’t ask or allow your customers to use personal payments
    to pay for their purchases.

If we continue to see such activity after March 9, 2010, we may have to
    disable your ability to receive personal payments, and then you will pay
    fees for all money received through PayPal.

You can find more information about payment types and fees in sections
    4.2 and 8 of our User Agreement – just click “Legal Agreements” at the
    bottom of any PayPal page.

If you have any questions, concerns, or think we may have made a
    mistake, please contact us at http://www.paypal.com/contactus
    <http://www.paypal.com/contactus&gt;. Thank you for helping us resolve this
    matter.

Sincerely,
    PayPal, an eBay Company

Copyright © 1999-2010 PayPal. All rights reserved.
    PayPal (Europe) S.à r.l. & Cie, S.C.A.
    Société en Commandite par Actions
    Registered Office: 5th Floor 22-24 Boulevard Royal L-2449, Luxembourg
    RCS Luxembourg B 118 349

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Paypal gift – fees, part 2’ is closed to new replies.