Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Paying (or not) a contractor
  • johndoh
    Free Member

Further to an earlier post about my kitchen being completed but not being chased for money, the main sub-contractor doing the job also did some extra bits for us.

Despite us (repeatedly) asking for quotes he never gave us any and time pressures meant we just went ahead and had the work done.

Everything was completed a week before Christmas still with no quotes for work or indeed anything in writing at all (for the ‘extra bits that is).

I have now asked several times for the final invoice so I can see if we have anything in the pot to do anything else (ie log burner) and he has said that he has just about finished putting the prices together and will come round with the final bill so he can talk through it.

He has now been saying this since the beginning of January and I am sick of asking for the bill (or indeed even getting a verbal indication of what the total is).

So what are my options here? Can I legitimately say ‘tough mate, I offered to pay, you didn’t tell me how much and we don’t have any of this in writing anyway’.

I remain incredulous that trades operate in this way!

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Mmm tricky one, I don’t think you’ll get away without paying to be honest unless he completely forgets to invoice you which is unlikely.
    If you start to lay the law down the price will go up. Hang tight another couple of weeks, don’t contact him. Let him chase you.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Must be a big number if it’s taking this long to calculate

I’d just chill out and let him giv you the bill when it’s ready. You won’t be so keen when it does arrive! not paying would be pretty low especially as they seem to have been flexible and you seem happy with what they’ve actually done.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Did you ask him to do the work?
    Did he do the work?

If the answer to both of these questions is yes, then you need to pay him.

If I were you , I would make a list of everything that you asked him to do and have it ready for when he arrives with his list.

I remain incredulous that trades operate in this way!

…unfortunately the construction industry is full of truly excellent tradesman who are shite administrators.

If any average tradesman ever wise up and realise that all domestic customers really want is someone who’ll show up when they say they will, do a half decent job and bill them as soon as they’re finished then they’ll become millionaires.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

If any average tradesman ever wise up and realise that all domestic customers really want is someone who’ll show up when they say they will, do a half decent job and bill them as soon as they’re finished then they’ll become millionaires.

Right I’m on it! All I’ve got to do is get up to average oh and tradesman 😆

johndoh
    Free Member

not paying would be pretty low especially as they seem to have been flexible and you seem happy with what they’ve actually done.

I know, I agree, but we have a limited amount of money left and we would like to use that to get other stuff if we can. How long can I reasonably be expected to wait with the money I think I might owe him in the bank. For example, I *think the bill is going to be around £1,000 but in the absence of a quote or a bill I have allowed £2,000. If it is just £1,000 then great – I can buy the stove. If it is £2,000 and I have already bought the stove then I need to find another £1,000.

It’s driving me mad!

the-muffin-man

We had a 3 days of building work done 4 years ago.

In the same vein as you we asked and asked for a bill but never got one. I stopped asking after six months and have never heard from him since.

In your position I’d stop asking but set-aside the money for six months. You won’t need a stove installing before next winter anyway!

johndoh
    Free Member

You won’t need a stove installing before next winter anyway!

Nope, but it is the associated works we *do* want doing though (ie a new carpet/decorating etc…)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Paying (or not) a contractor’ is closed to new replies.