Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • Paying off the Mortgage early.
  • Gary_M
    Free Member

It’s ok to hate most of the people on this thread right?

Crack on, hate won’t pay your mortgage off though 🙂

andybrad

So apart from hard work, being born into money or having a well paid job how the hell can you pay your mortgage off early.

(tbh im interested in this. One chap I used to work with ate nothing but sandwiches for every meal for 5 years and paid his off. It was substantially less than mine is now however)

scotroutes

Reduce your other outgoings. Invest wisely. Don’t keep “upgrading” your house every time you think your current one is worth a bit more than your current mortgage.

dooosuk
    Free Member

So apart from hard work, being born into money or having a well paid job how the hell can you pay your mortgage off early.

Don’t drink, buy Apple products or go on holiday.

Seriously, you just need to analyse your spending and see where your money goes. Then overpay as much as allowed.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Bought our original house and insisted on a repayment mortgage rather than endowment which we were pressured to do.

When we moved 14 years ago, we didn’t go silly and over extend ourselves. Yes, the mortgage went up a bit, but we also kept the outstanding term the same.

we also did the whole ‘rate tart’ thing looking for the best deal every few years. We got a better deal and then reduced the years left a bit rather than reducing payments.

Add into that a few over payments and bingo, the mortgage starts to diminish.

Yes we could live in a bigger house and have a bigger mortgage to pay off for years to come, but we decided we had enough space and we liked where we are. I’d rather be debt free rather than keep moving to bigger houses

scaled
    Free Member

I moved to Manchester, bought a large ex council house in a shitty area that was about to get new transport links and got lucky!

I should hit 50% LTV this year, just over 2 years into the mortgage from an original 90% LTV.

The motivation to overpay is strong though, being a proper muppet about this sort of things i’m on a 5 year fix at 4.7%, i needed a mortgage and a house pretty damn quickly.

They really do screw you on low LTV ratios

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

So, we have a small amount left on our mortgage and are unsure how to clear it. It is £28k . It is on interest only and the wife wants to save every month and twice a year bung a couple of grand at it. I know I have a bike habit and she likes shopping, so I am thinking to remortgage and pay over 8 ish years ( not decided) to guarantee money clearing !! . I have tried the Nationwide, who currently have our mortgage account to try and change to repayment. I feel from their response, it would be easier for me to ride a bike round the world in 24 hrs. They are not interested and sent me paperwork over an inch thick advising I needed now to be a new customer , even though I have never missed a payment in over 25 years , as rules have changed FFS. They are also too busy to see me in branch as I gave up with the paperwork filling in !! HSBC are my bank, they don’t have anything current to swop over too, although they did about a year ago and we missed the cutoff. So, where do we go from here?
    I suppose my ability at 45 to be getting rid of the mortgage was due to being a mortgage payer at 19 years old, which means houses were cheaper and the ladder was being climbed, although I didn’t party for 2 years and slept on a mattress on the floor for a year until I could afford a bed and I wasn’t into biking then !!

mudshark
    Free Member

Marry well. Not sure I did but seems to be earning more than she spends so suppose I can be happy with that.
    On 3rd house, I would like to move again but flippin’ stamp duty puts me off.

andybrad

I get a lot of people got lucky with the property market. I didn’t and subsequently my mortgage is well over 200k. Im struggling to see how paying it off early is worth it tbh as the gains over the long term vs impact are marginal imo

granny_ring

Funnily enough we got a letter from the BS informing us the Mortgage is nearly done and the last payment due which is a small amount so think we’ll wrap it up and be done with it! 🙂

And yes we were fortunate with house prices 16 years ago but we have also lived within our means and made over payments now and again which has helped.

That being said I do feel for those starting out in the last few years…

footflaps

The best strategy is being born in the 60s, that way you’d be buying your first house in the late 80s / early 90s before the huge increase in house prices (vs wages) took off (1996 ish).

MoreCashThanDash

how the hell can you pay your mortgage off early.

Luck, in my case.

First house bought in 1990 for £36k. I was 21. Sold in 1996 for £30k losing all my own money when I moved down south and bought another for £75k. Sold it in 2001 for £125k after being made redundant and taking a wild jump to the East Midlands with no job lined up.

Bought up here with a £50k deposit and a £35k mortgage, paid off in 14 years on average wage, plus wife’s part time earnings since kids came along. We just prioritised clearing the debt over holidays, luxuries, childcare costs that other friends seem to spend on.

ART

1. Get a tracker mortgage 0.45% above base when everyone tells you not to
    2. Remember when interest rates were 8% ? Get used to paying that amount & keep (over) paying it when interest rates drop
    3. Go without stuff that you really don’t need or want & save that money & throw regular lump sums at the mortgage on the basis that no saving can match the one you get from paying down your mortgage early

Well that’s what we did.

richmars

As above, part luck, part putting every spare £ into the mortgage.

alwillis

Will be 25 this year and at the current rate we will be mortgage free at 30ish. Neither of us were born rich, but we have 2 things:

1) a super strict monthly budget that we both set out and signed up to, we always weigh up purchases as to if they are actually really needed etc. we do go on holiday, but not for 2 weeks in the sun etc. this results in every spare penny going into the mortgage. I worked out the amount we could save in interest by overpaying and that has scared me into cutting out other luxuries!

2) a small mortgage based on just the wife’s salary 2 years ago when we lived apart. Now with 2 incomes we can afford to overpay to the max each year. Luckily with Halifax the overpayments can be up to 10% of the remaining loan each year.

The downside is we will only own a 2 bed flat in swindon. Thinking of moving out to the countryside into a proper house, but don’t want to take on a big debt and feel like we have lost a lot of our hard work.

totalshell

when ours with nationwide got down to about 1500 they just waived it.. you dont get deeds anymore nowt to show but no more monthly payments so mrs only works 3 days a week now..

we have other properties paid off and with mortgages and we just chuck money at them when we can as we did with our home.. overpaid at least double every month amd lump sums as and when.. no foreign holidays only a weeks holiday away each year in yarkshire no posh clothes or trainers just cheap frugal living.. ( cept for bikes and motorcycles and cars)

Scapegoat

A lucky child of the sixties but made a determined effort to live within means. An offset mortgage and as much overpayment as possible, I now have just under £20k to go, and an identical amount in a parallel account offsetting it, so I pay zero interest, but have an emergency pool of cash to draw down if the wheel comes off.

Gary_M
    Free Member

a super strict monthly budget that we both set out and signed up to, we always weigh up purchases as to if they are actually really needed etc. we do go on holiday, but not for 2 weeks in the sun etc. this results in every spare penny going into the mortgage. I worked out the amount we could save in interest by overpaying and that has scared me into cutting out other luxuries!

Sounds like fun 🙂

granny_ring

To be honest we could have paid it off even earlier if we put ‘all’ the spare cash in the account but we went for the ‘balanced approach’ which has knocked off about 4 1/2 years of a 20yr mortgage.

porlus
    Free Member

First time buyer here with the missus. Mortgage taken out two years ago with a 5% deposit on fixed rate for two years on a 30 year term. 28 left if we left as is.
    In the process of remortgaging with another provider. Equity in the house is that good after two years (village outside York is a mini bubble according to folk) we are able to drop it to 17 years with an affordable increase in the monthly payment.

trail_rat
    Free Member

we moved in 4 years ago with slightly over 10% deposit and made overpayments and modernisation for the last 4 years on a 25 year term – and we had got to the point where we had 25% into the house.

We then had revaluation at +60k over the previous value which dropped the LTV considerably which inturn droped the rate and the min payment – its a play on numbers the value doesnt exist but so long as it drops the interst rates

We just remortgaged and kept our payment+repayment the same with a view to finishing the mortgage early and we are on track to finish up in 12 years.. nearly 10 years early.

now i dont believe for a minute the level of payments we are putting in will be sustainable once kids arrive on the scene but im hoping that by putting in the hardwork and sacrafice now it means that my options will be open once i have kids to reduce the hours i work – if my mortgage min payment is only 300 quid a month ( even if its for the next 25 years) it will be much easier to drop back down the wage scale than if my mortgage payments were the typical 1200-2000 my peers seem to be paying as a minimum on their mortgages.

zanelad
    Free Member

mortgage payments were the typical 1200-2000 my peers seem to be paying

Stone the crows, that’s scary amounts of money to stump up each month.

I’m an old git, but our first mortgage was £125 a month for a £16,000 house. We moved 7 years later (having sold the old place for £64,000) and the new payments were £350 a month.

I guess the downside was when the mortgage ended the spare money each month was not a great deal, Still, better in my pocket that the building society’s.

I struugle to see how youngsters these days can hope to get on the property ladder.

The Zanette rents and reckons she’s going to wait for us to croak and then just move in. 😀

I cannot see anyway for her to buy otherwise.

trail_rat
    Free Member

scarier part is ….

i pay less on my mortgage that the equivalent rent on an equivalent property ….and have the fear of being thrown out or the rent increasing every 6 months…

rents are coming down slightly locally but its still 400 quid a month for a single room in a shared flat… an 700 for a 1 bed flat – 1200 for a 3 bed house…

Its a catch 22 really …. obviously highly area dependant !

andybrad

It’s the area my mortgage is in.

Yes it’s scary for us oldies that were late to the party

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

We overpay by a fixed amount every month, the way it’s set up here means that i can go in and adjust the payments myself, there is a minimum threshold (interest plus a nominal monthly sum, about 80 quid i think) that the system WILL let me adjust below, but the bank will send me a letter asking if its really what i want to do. And if i don’t respond someone will call and check!
    The over payment is not much (couple of nights out a month) but its enough to reduce the term by about 6 years with interest rates as they are. And you quite quickly adjust to not having the money. So we stay in and cook something/bottle of wine etc. 20-25 quid, no hangover, no taxi. Instead of 100 quid and a hangover.

The scarier thing is that most of our friends are either on interest only, or interest plus the nominal sum. Some won’t ever be mortgage free.

I didn’t get on the ladder until my mid 30’s, unfortunately at a highish point in the UK housing market, and i should still be able to sign it all off before i hit 60 (if i’m lucky) or 65 if we have to do any significant spending.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Though obviously, if you are up against it paying the mortgage anyway. Overpaying isn’t going to work……………

grenosteve
    Free Member

Just did some sums, we could pay our mortgage off in 5 years if I stopped spending money on bikes, bike bits, motorbikes, my camper van (that I never camp in), and cut general spending down to a sensible minimum.

Pretty enticing to be mortgage free at 35…. The job would get sacked off for a part time one straight away! Just think how much riding* could get done!

Like many people, I think learning to not splash out on shiny stuff needlessly can be a good thing….

In terms of managing with house prices, I would have struggled big time to buy a house without my wife. Our 2 bedroom stone house with a garden, big drive, workshop and double garage was only just worth what we paid for it (£150k) in my mind. I don’t know how you lot down south cope with the cost of houses/flats. 😯

(*watching TV)

footflaps

I don’t know how you lot down south cope with the cost of houses/flats.

You get used to it….

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Paying off the Mortgage early.’ is closed to new replies.