• This topic has 10 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by FOG.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Paying for the privilege of paying tax!
  • FOG

I recently ordered some stuff from Ground Effect in New Zealand which I haven’t done for some time as the exchange rate wasn’t good. I noticed this had improved so ordered even though I had heard HMRC were much hotter at collecting duty – I got away with it on previous orders.
    So today I got my Fee to pay notice from the Post Office , I don’t mind paying the tax, it is of course along with death the only sure thing, but I do object to paying the PO £8 for the privilege of paying said tax.
    For the majority of us Tax Payers on PAYE our employers collect income Tax for HMRC and don’t charge us, the victims, for doing it. Surely postage on international items covers this sort of collection . ( yes I realise the NZ post get this postage but the PO collect postage from parcels sent outside the EU]

mikewsmith
    Free Member

– I got away with it on previous orders.
    So today I got my Fee to pay notice from the Post Office , I don’t mind paying the tax, it is of course along with death the only sure thing, but I do object to paying the PO £8 for the privilege of paying said tax.

So how much tax have you evaded previously?

cynic-al
    Free Member

“more things should be free/cost less”

*yawn*

Have a good whine on taxpayer’s allowance.

cinnamon_girl

My last GE order worked out very expensive. Think it was around £20 that was paid on tax and the PO for one item. Not bothering again.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

you could have organised to pay the tax on your import yourself, saved the hassle of somebody doing it for you. Not all goods are taxable, not sure I’d want to have to decide if I ask for the taxable goods postage rate when sending things home.

aracer
    Free Member

If it helps at all, you’ll find that part of that £8 is VAT 😈

Do you also object to companies charging for other services they provide to you? No, international postage doesn’t cover the cost of that, why would it?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Blimey.

A gentle moan on a few quid turns into the Communist Party manifesto!

Back off comrades, and let the OP vent his minor frustrations.

allthepies
    Free Member

GE used to have the option of buying the kit VAT inclusive, has that been dropped these days ?

belugabob
    Free Member

you could have organised to pay the tax on your import yourself,

Exactly how do you go about this?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

No idea but if you object to being charged to have it done for you it’s time to do the research. My guess would be that to set up and do it all for 1 shipment would probably take more than £8 of your time. Anyway it does read like the OP has skipped the import and VAT several times now so he can hardly complain…

It’s also how the application of a fee makes it seem like you are paying for something

For the majority of us Tax Payers on PAYE our employers collect income Tax for HMRC and don’t charge us, the victims, for doing it.

Anyone want to take a guess where HMRC get the funds to operate??? Remember to tell the Doc next time you need help that you are a victim of the HMRC and their nasty tax collection or when you drive down a road or send your kids to school.

FOG

Good God, I feel like Google and Amazon all rolled into one!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Paying for the privilege of paying tax!’ is closed to new replies.