Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Paying for Superstar to service my i900 seatpost (not bought from them)?
  • grumm
    Free Member

Just got this

Just spotted a forum post about the i900. To let you know in the background ive been generally bickering with the powers that be at KS about how they want me to deal with warranties for non UK stock. I have managed to twist their arm into providing the parts but they are not willing to pay for the postage or the labour, as most of the parts affected are posts which have been bought through a rather ropey grey market kind of debacle and sold by XX cycle. XX cycle seem to still be selling the very old stock, but they aren’t getting any new stock as KS have tightened up their supply chain a lot.

So I can service your post to 2010 internal spec and make it work like they should if you are willing to pay for a standard service and postage (£35 + £5 P&P), parts to the new spec will be provided FOC.

Hope this is helpful, Neil

Yup all will be replaced under service. The warranty parts are a new stanchion, one way bearing, DU Bearing, Linear bearing x3. So this should solve all your problems, and ill clean it all up internally and fill it with new grease. It will work even better than new.

I have to say I'm tempted, as the post is great when it works – and I would still have paid less in total than the original cost from Pure.

Any thoughts? TJ need not reply 😛

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Spoilsport

grumm
    Free Member

Oh go on then – no-one else is replying 😉

Del

ok, you asked for it. buy cheap, buy twice?
    the early ones were 5hit, now you've done their beta testing for them, they'll fix your post for a fee. how generous…
    HTH 😉

smell_it
    Free Member

So you bought a seatpost from company A, and company B will service it for you for a fee. If it is not a warranty issue, it sounds a fairly normal situation to me. If you think the price is fair go for it.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Did you buy it froma UK retailer? If so they should be fixing it.

£35 sounds quite reasonable – but would you trust him to do it correctly and to redo it when it fails again?

grumm
    Free Member

So you bought a seatpost from company A, and company B will service it for you for a fee.

Yup – I suppose I was wondering if anyone who understands what the bits are and what they do (or has had the same done on warranty) found it to be worthwhile.

Er…. thanks Del

Nah bought it from xxcycle in France and they don't reply to my emails. I have asked if there is any warranty on the repair.

Popocatapetl

Can anyone give me more details on neils service? bought mine in August 2008 and it needs a service. £35.00 is a lot cheaper than £185.00 for a new one! IMO.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Pepairs – you have the same rights under the sale of goods act as you do for buying stuff – if something is repaired than it should be of reasonable standard and all that

smell_it
    Free Member

Sorry thought it was a superstar issue 😳 If £35's makes it work again and you like it when it works, it sounds fair enough to me.

Smee
    Free Member

Are Pure and SSC not one and the same though?

ojom
    Free Member

Yep they are Goan.

Smee
    Free Member

Am I missing something here? Because it sounds like a bit of a shit deal on offer. Surely you shouldn't have to pay for the labour. Postage yes fine, but labour?

ojom
    Free Member

generally labour is not covered under a lot of warranties. you will need to check the wording though as this is the case some of the time but not all of the time.

Smee
    Free Member

How do they get away with that then? Surely the option of repair, replace, refund must include labour. You know more about it than me – any ideas?

grumm
    Free Member

Mine's not under warranty with Pure – I bought it from a different supplier who won't answer my emails.

ojom
    Free Member

well in the case of say a Marin with lifetime warranty on the bearings… if we have to replace the bearings we order new ones, they get fitted but the customer has to pay for the labour in doing so,

then we send the bearings back to ATB/Marin and we get credited on the bearings. Not the work we have done.

We tend not to charge OUR customers depending on length of ownership/other work being done at the same time etc but we would charge someone who had bought a marin elsewhere or we would be out of pocket.

this is in the product warranty.

as i mention, it depends on brand.

what we get sometimes is 2nd owners of a bike like a Marin, going off when we try to charge them £30 to swop out bearings on a bike they bought from ebay although that is a totally different thing and pretty much irrelevant.

grey imports… diff kettle of fish. generally not covered for labour at all and in this one instance i would probably have to agree with SSC's conclusion.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I think their offer is fair. I'd go for it.

Smee
    Free Member

Interesting. Cheers.

ojom
    Free Member

no worries.

Del

Grumm,
    sorry, can't help being a pixie when SS are mentioned.
    surely though, you bought the thing in europe, the warranty must be pan-european?
    if SS are the distributors now ( the implication being that xx have effectively been shut out by the manufacturer? ), then it would be incumbent on SS to take on any warranty repairs, and seek redress from the manufacturer, non?
    a car manufacturer can't wriggle out of the warranty just because you buy a car in holland ( or wherever ) and import it yourself?

easygirl

pure and Superstar are the same company???
    surely not

ojom
    Free Member

…"then it would be incumbent on SS to take on any warranty repairs,"…

not at all. why should they have to warranty something never bought from them.
    its like taking a gucci handbag into harvey nichols and demand they fix the zip even though you bought it in Paris.

Del

see your point, but any garage would likely help handle a warranty claim on a car?
    if ss are the european distributor?..

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Goan – warranty and rights under the sale of goods act are not the same. In the bike chains example the bearings would be considered wear and tear under sale of goods act – so not covered – a warranty is discretionary over and above your rights under the sale of goods act.

If those bearings fail the day after you bought it then the retailer would have to replace at no cost to you – if its 3 years later the SOG does not apply and yo rely on goodwill / warrenty

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Paying for Superstar to service my i900 seatpost (not bought from them)?’ is closed to new replies.