Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Paying for hotel in France in advance – they want pics of CC…
  • the-muffin-man

Hi all

We’re off to Paris in a week or two and I want to pay in advance as I’m worried my card will be blocked (even thought I’ve told them I’m going!).

The hotel want me to fill in a form with card details and pics of front and back of the card, then email it to them. Is this normal practice in France?

Cheers

scotroutes

You’ll be fine. Just cover up (or pixelate) the 3 digit CSC code

Edukator
    Free Member

In answer to the original question, no. Either pay in advance using a reservation system online or pay when you get there after seeing the room. If you have online banking you could do a credit transfer (virement) from anywhere. Taking a roll of notes can save a lot of hassle. Obviously split the cash between you and spread it around pockets and luggage.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

It’s normal in Italy, not sure about France tbh.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Been asked for this in France quite a bit.

Company card, so not quite as worrying but never had any issues.

Edukator
    Free Member

Others have gravity-slave. If you are happy with everyone in the hotel and all the people they know having your credit card number go ahead. The hotel scam is rife in France and Canada.

Other scams:

If reception phone you in your room and ask you for your card number to pay for something it’s not reception.

Anywhere you hand over the card. Stick some black masking tape over the three digit number when you travel in France so that when you hand over the card in petrol stations etc. they can’t film both sides between the hatch and the card reader – it can be done so fast you won’t even notice but you would notice them picking off the tape.

Petrol pumps: cover the keypad when typing your pin number. The crooks film from a distance and equip the pumps with gadgets to record your card number.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Paying for hotel in France in advance – they want pics of CC…’ is closed to new replies.