Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Paying for accommodation with Paypal.
  • markgraylish
    Free Member

Anything I should know?
    I’m renting an apartment in the US and the owner does not accept credit cards but will accept Paypal. He wants the full amount upfront, plus a security deposit.
    My PayPal account is linked to my credit card so the whole amount I’m billed will be paid off by CC.

If things go tits-up or there’s any sort of dispute, do I have any coverage thru Paypal and, if not, would the CC cover it without direct charging?

ampthill

Good question

How do they know that you’ve paid when you arrive?

hammyuk
    Free Member

He sends you an invoice through Paypal for the amount he’s requesting off you.
    In that he sets out exactly what its for, etc.
    You’re then covered under Goods and Services.
    However check Paypal cover this in the T&C’s though JIC

timbud
    Free Member

Paypal will have you covered… they are massively biased towards the buyer.
    The huge downside is that they will screw you with their extortionate fees (well at least the seller anyway).

nickjb
    Free Member

PayPal buyer protection is far from watertight as I found to my first recently but paying off by credit card should help.

markgraylish
    Free Member

Paypal will have you covered… they are massively biased towards the buyer.
    The huge downside is that they will screw you with their extortionate fees (well at least the seller anyway)

Ive been told I’ll be charged 4%, which I’m OK with. Are there any other fees which I could be be hit with?

nickjb
    Free Member

Are you paying in dollars? There may be fees for that, or a less favourable rate. Not normally too bad but worth considering. Most of the fees are on the seller.

markgraylish
    Free Member

Yes, paying in US$ and expecting to get a less than stellar exchange rate from PayPal….

cp

less than stellar exchange rate from PayPal….

Not been too bad for me in usd -> gbp

markgraylish
    Free Member

Not been too bad for me in usd -> gbp

Aye, unfortunately for me, I’m paying in Canadian $ which have tanked by about 40% against the UD$ over the last year or so…

matt_outandabout

PayPal Do NOT cover services, only goods.

I found this out with issues booking accommodation in France last year.

Credit card is better.

markgraylish
    Free Member

I found this out with issues booking accommodation in France last year.

This is what I was concerned with. Can you be more specific as CC is not an option!

The PayPal T&Cs don’t specifically exclude services but do exclude “real estate” (though I’m obviously not buying property)

johnners
    Free Member

PayPal buyer protection is far from watertight as I found to my first recently but paying off by credit card should help.

You are unlikely to have Section 75 cover if you pay by PayPal, or it will be a PITA to enforce it so I wouldn’t count on the CC company to help much unless you’ve paid the supplier directly.

matt_outandabout

This is what I was concerned with. Can you be more specific as CC is not an option!

I had to cancel the booking and payment via PayPal, due to the landlady mucking things up.
    She did not understand PayPal, or how to refund. I opened a dispute to get my money back.

PayPal refused the dispute as it was for accommodation services that they did not cover.

Do not use paypal and expect any cover.

markgraylish
    Free Member

Thanks Matt…good to know

nealglover
    Free Member

if things go tits-up or there’s any sort of dispute, do I have any coverage thru Paypal and, if not, would the CC cover it without direct charging?

I’m afraid the answers are No and No

redthunder
    Free Member
    markgraylish
    Free Member

Good to know, but, critically, could you have raised a PayPal dispute if you got food poisoning?

redthunder
    Free Member

They were great fish and chips……mmmmmmmmmm….i’m feeling hungry now

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Paying for accommodation with Paypal.’ is closed to new replies.