Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • PAYG phone, no expiry limit on top ups and cheap! Do they exist?
  • cb

Just looking for a rubbish phone, preferably small (maybe a flip phone) to stuff in the pocket on nights out, on the bike etc. I’m clumsy and sooner or later will wreck the smartphone! Happy to have another number for this purpose rather than swapping the SIM between phones.

Any suggestions?

Ta

nickdavies

Unlock an old phone, EE do a free sim which doesn’t expire for 6 months and doesn’t auto top up if you only put a fiver on at a time.

Where are you.. I’ve got a box of unlocked business phones that’s going to go to the charity shop when I move shortly, one is a flip. I keep the last phone for this purpose but after about 10 of them you acquire a few!

cb

I’m in macclesfield. Annoyingly I sold an old razr some time ago which would have been fine!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cb

Any likelihood of one of those Nick?

ppapa
    Free Member

Had Nokia 100 from Vodafone. I think it was a tenner for a phone and a mandatory tenner top up. So £20 in total.

I think it was meant to expire, but it never did. I also got 60 minutes or so of calls abroad for every £10 I topped up, which worked magically.

Keep in mind that some operators are better in remote areas than the others. I believe O2 and Vodafone are still the leaders in Scottish hills?

cb

Thanks ppapa – the 30 day expiry thing is a concern as it will be intermittant use – very rare use in fact. Three SIMs seem to be non-limited but require a 3G phone (or so the embryo in the shop told me this morning). Thier phone offerings start at 60 quid and are all smart phones in design and functionality. I want something less breakable!

Flaperon

GiffGaff credit doesn’t expire.

project
    Free Member

tesco mobile 10 quid or less for phone, 10 quid top up and triple credit, works well for me for buisness use

deadkenny
    Free Member

Non expiry for voice I take it? The days of non expiring PAYG data have long gone.

CraigW
    Free Member

Carphone Warehouse have some basic Nokias for £10, plus £10 topup. Should be simple and reliable, very long battery life. They are probably unlocked.

+for GiffGaff – credit doesn’t expire, so long as you make a call every 6 months to keep the account alive.

granny_ring

Yep Giff Gaff here too.
    EDIT
    Think we’ve still got an old flip Phone that’s o2 so good for giffgaff, if I can find it it’s yours for postage. Can even pass on a giffgaff sim.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Can’t help on the phone but 3 doesn’t expire credit. Our phones are rarely used but there if we need them. I’m planning on buying a month add-on with unlimited data for a trip to the USA, there isn’t another solution that comes close that I’m aware of. Upgraded to a 2nd hand moto e based on recent comments here, it’s pretty good.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Probably any 10 quid phone. My orange account did need some action every 6 months but as long as that happened credit stayed there. The 10 quid that was needed when it was bought lasted about 3 years. Mind you such excess is to be understood as it was my main mobile phone. 😆
    The last Nokia survived several washes and once even went through a hot jeans wash, the tumble drier and came out switched on. took a few hours for the screen to clear though.

integerspin
    Free Member

I have a virgin SIM, I got it in 2004 and have made one call out in that time!
    Current phone is a Samsung E1190 which cost a quid on ebay. No camera, battery lasts three weeks and it’s a flip phone. I never use a phone, but try and remember to take it with me when I may need one, which I never do.

badgerbater
    Free Member

Just got Tesco to unlock one of their phones for free, but now have to wait the mandatory 20 days before the phone becomes “live”. Then I’m pairing with 3’s 123 sim. Seems to be the cheapest way without having a monthly expiry.

cb

granny ring – if you can find it that would be appreciated! Sorry for delay in response.

skids
    Free Member

Three PAYG does not expire and it’s really cheap 3p per minute, 2p per text, 1p per MB data (3,2,1 it’s called)

zanelad
    Free Member

I’ve just got a giffgaff sim. Credit doesn’t expire provided the phone is used once every six months. Calls texts etc are dearer than the 3 tarrif, but as it’s for emergencies only it’s not an issue.

Got a cheap unlocked Motorola flip phone from my local CEX shop. £12.

Wife thinks I’ve got another woman on the go. Chance’do be a fine thing!

granny_ring

And I cant bleedin find it, must have given it too someone else a while ago. Sorry.

ninfan
    Free Member

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nokia-105-Sim-Free-Mobile-Phone/dp/B00EQ8SQGW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1475015796&sr=8-3&keywords=nokia+105

Got one of these for my daughter – 30 day battery life, and an Asda SIM that gives over 6 months between calls

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘PAYG phone, no expiry limit on top ups and cheap! Do they exist?’ is closed to new replies.