Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Pay as you go phone but you have to top up (pay) monthly. WTF
  • blastit
    Free Member

Rant Alert. Just been told I am rude by EE when I pointed out that if you have to top up your pay as you go account every month its not Pay as You.
    When did all this **it start to happen ????

Feel better now

scaredypants

Was it them that announced that they were removing all the confusion over unlimited data (that wasn’t actually unlimited) by renaming it “all you can eat” data (which also wasn’t unlimited) ?

oliverracing

Not happened here (£10 credit is £10 credit untill you use it), although I do get bonuses on op of my normal credit if I top up every month.

cp

Bkastit, are you sure you’re not confusing payg balance with the top up bonuses? I.e. You have to top up every month tho get the bonuses, as the bonuses only let 30 days? Your normal credit is fine/runs indefinitely until you consume it.

cp

Edit, or the new pack thing where you buy a 30 day allowance? I.e. Like most 30 day rolling sim only deals?

deadkenny
    Free Member

Is this data you’re talking about?

Most of the PAYG plans have dropped data from being PAYG but instead the data expires each month or every few months. I had a broadband dongle from Vodafone that was great for very occasional use, just topped up and the data lasted until I used it up. Then they decided to change it and expire remaining data so it became useless for my needs.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

This began soon after the recent wave of consolidation in the UK mobile sector. I’ve recently investigated the tarriffs available and found EE, Voda, and O2 were all at it because it guarantees the greedy bastards a continual drip feed of income from an unsophisticated customer base who don’t know any better.

The only alternatives appear to be MVNOs or Three for the traditional pre pay option.

nealglover
    Free Member

Just been told I am rude

We’re you rude ?

blastit
    Free Member

We’re you rude ?

No , not rude a bit miffed and confused really. Been on website trying to find answer as well so had a feeling they are trying to push you towards a monthy top up account

sharkbait
    Free Member

O2 used to do a thing years ago where you doubled your minutes/data by topping up before a certain date each month or you lost the benefit (something like that anyway) – sort of forced you to pay. It was a PITA trying to manage a number of PAYG accounts.
    Much easier and cheaper when I transfered everyone (5 accounts in family) to pay monthly Tesco accounts.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Pre 2000 I remember payg mobile customers having to buy ‘line rental’ in addition to paying for their calls. That died a death when Orange introduced the “There’s no Ouch in our vouchers…” campaign. Now it seems the telcos are trying to revert back to those dark days.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

ave a look at Three’s 321, that’s like you would expect payg, 3p a min calls, 2p a text, 1p per meg of data or something like that. Anyhows, you just gradually work your way thru a tenners worth. With being a bit old fashioned and having wifi at work and home, it can be 2 months between top ups for me.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Pay as you go phone but you have to top up (pay) monthly. WTF’ is closed to new replies.